Prospect Info: 2013-2014 Sabres Prospect Repository

Status
Not open for further replies.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
I don't mind if he as a person wants to return because he feels he has unfinished business but I'm starting to think another year in college vs going pro isn't smart from a developmental stand point

I think it'd be fine for his development. Hes doesnt turn 21 until October. Defense take a little longer to get it all down anyway. Let him spend another season leading Wisconsin and dominating at that level before he makes the jump.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
When can he decide to "re-enter" the draft? If he decides he doesn't want to sign with Buffalo

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010
When can he decide to "re-enter" the draft? If he decides he doesn't want to sign with Buffalo

I don't see why he would do that, though? He'll likely be able to skip the AHL here whether we think it's the right move or not, he might be good enough, and physically ready to force his way in to the Sabres lineup.

Besides, even should he return to Wisconsin, we could offer him AHL/NHL experience at the end of next season, rather than having to wait until the 15-16 season.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Ontario Hockey League Playoff Schedule - Western Conference Semifinals.

#1 - Guelph Storm vs #4 - London Knights. (Zadorov/Austin)
Game 1 - Friday, April 4 - London at Guelph - 7:30 pm ET.
Game 2 - Sunday, April 6 - London at Guelph - 7:00 pm ET.
Game 3 - Tuesday, April 8 - Guelph at London - 7:00 pm ET.
Game 4 - Thursday, April 10 - Guelph at London - 7:00 pm ET.
Game 5 - Friday, April 11 - London at Guelph - 7:30 pm ET.
Game 6 - Sunday, April 13 - Guelph at London - 2:00 pm ET.
Game 7 - Tuesday, April 15 - London at Guelph - 7:00 pm ET.

#2 - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds vs #3 - Erie Otters. (McDavid?)
Game 1 - Wednesday, April 2 - Erie at Sault Ste. Marie - 7:07 pm ET.
Game 2 - Friday, April 4 - Erie at Sault Ste. Marie - 7:07 pm ET.
Game 3 - Monday, April 7 - Sault Ste. Marie at Erie - 7:05 pm ET.
Game 4 - Tuesday, April 8 - Sault Ste. Marie at Erie - 7:05 pm ET.
Game 5 - Thursday, April 10 - Erie at Sault Ste. Marie - 7:07 pm ET.
Game 6 - Saturday, April 12 - Sault Ste. Marie at Erie - 7:05 pm ET.
Game 7 - Monday, April 14 - Erie at Sault Ste. Marie - 7:07 pm ET.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I think it'd be fine for his development. Hes doesnt turn 21 until October. Defense take a little longer to get it all down anyway. Let him spend another season leading Wisconsin and dominating at that level before he makes the jump.
His bad habits he has now are the same ones he's had since being drafted. I'd like it if he could get in with Murray's new AHL staff sooner rather than later. College players also often suffer from burnout earlier in the year because they aren't used to the extra 40+ games.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA

Actually, I think it would be better for his development to play in the pros at this point for the simple reason that they don't play nearly as many games in college. At this point in his career, he can learn more from playing a lot more. I'd like to see McCabe in Rochester or possibly even Buffalo next year, depending on how he looks in camp.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Actually, I think it would be better for his development to play in the pros at this point for the simple reason that they don't play nearly as many games in college. At this point in his career, he can learn more from playing a lot more. I'd like to see McCabe in Rochester or possibly even Buffalo next year, depending on how he looks in camp.

Yeah he needs to adjust to playing more than 40 games in a season. Realistically he should sign, but if he feels he has a commitment to Wisconsin then he has the choice.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

If he wanted to hold out and not sign with Buffalo he would become a free agent and not re-enter the draft.

the ones that re-enter the draft are the CHL players who do not sign an ELC by June 1st that are 19/20. This year it would be some the 2012 drafted players who did not sign by June 1.

Buffalo has his rights until August 15, 2015. He can sign elsewhere the next day if he doesn't sign with us.

Based on what I read ---It depends......If he turns pro now Buffalo has his rights until 1 June 2016. If he finishes his senior year and graduates then its August 15 2015.

also---I take him resigning an apartment lease as a grain of salt. That isnt tying him into anything. If turns pro and signs his contract the bonus money can easily cover the rent he needs to pay or buy him out in its entirety. I am sure they could replace him with another Wisc hockey player to take over his lease with no issues whatsoever.

Before anyone asks, no, McCabe cannot "pull a Justin Schultz"

Hurley would be a candidate to do that. If he starts college for the 14/15 season. He goes for 3 year until the 16/17 season is over. He would be a junior. If opts to turn pro sometime in April/May 2017 then the June 1/30 day rights(which ever is the later date) clock kicks in before UFA status is gained.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
The whole thing is purely hypothetical. McCabe and Hurley have given no indication they would try to get away from the Sabres. They'll both sign in due time.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
London would be a great place for Hurly to play with Zadorov, Domi, Horvat and Mccarron for a year

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
London would be a great place for Hurly to play with Zadorov, Domi, Horvat and Mccarron for a year

You can't just go to any junior team you desire.

Did London even draft the rights to Hurley?

No, and he's from Minnesota - therefore he would have been eligible for the WHL draft. However, he was not drafted by a WHL team, according to Elite Prospects.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
If London drafts Hurly in the OHL draft they would retain his rights. 2 years ago they did it with Alex Broadhurst, he also played for the Green Bay Gamblers

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Have there been any indications whatsoever that Hurley intends to break his Notre Dame commitment? If not, maybe we should stick to more plausible scenarios

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Have there been any indications whatsoever that Hurley intends to break his Notre Dame commitment? If not, maybe we should stick to more plausible scenarios

No indication, and I doubt he does. I generally feel like one route is as good as the next (CHL, NCAA, AHL, European leagues) and like seeing guys in the NCAA, but Hurley is one kid that I'd probably prefer go to the CHL. Notre Dame has a very defensive system, which will be great for Petersen but perhaps not ideal for Hurley. He's gonna face an uphill battle for ice time and offensive opportunities there. On the plus side, he'll be with a guy who is hopefully a future Sabres teammate, he'll be in a high-end program that will teach him defensive responsibility, and considering how raw he is, he'll have the option of developing there for several years if need be. Another plus is I believe Notre Dame led the nation in upper classmen, so there should be a lot of turnover which may open opportunity up.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
No indication, and I doubt he does. I generally feel like one route is as good as the next (CHL, NCAA, AHL, European leagues) and like seeing guys in the NCAA, but Hurley is one kid that I'd probably prefer go to the CHL. Notre Dame has a very defensive system, which will be great for Petersen but perhaps not ideal for Hurley. He's gonna face an uphill battle for ice time and offensive opportunities there. On the plus side, he'll be with a guy who is hopefully a future Sabres teammate, he'll be in a high-end program that will teach him defensive responsibility, and considering how raw he is, he'll have the option of developing there for several years if need be. Another plus is I believe Notre Dame led the nation in upper classmen, so there should be a lot of turnover which may open opportunity up.

Well said. For schematic reasons, I'd love to see Hurley go the CHL route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->