Round 1, Pick #14: Zemgus Girgensons, C
Round 2, Pick #44: Jake McCabe, D
Round 3, Pick #73: Justin Kea, C
Round 5, Pick #133: Logan Nelson, F
Round 6, Pick #163: Linus Ullmark, G
Round 7, Pick #193: Brady Austin, D
Round 7, Pick #204: Judd Peterson, C/RW

The 2012 Draft Thread (con't.) - 12, 21, 42, 44, 73, 133, 163, 193, 204
Sabres Development Camp, 2012 (July 8th-13th)
Prospect Thread and Index 2011-2012 Edition

2011 Draft Selections:
Round 1, Pick #16: Joel Armia RW
Round 3, Pick #76: Daniel Catenacci C
Round 4, Pick #106: Colin Jacobs C
Round 5, Pick #136 Alex Lepkowski, LD not with organization, unsigned
Round 6, Pick #166 Nathan Lieuwen, G
Round 7, Pick #196: Brad Navin, C

Traverse City Tournament Thread
Traverse City GDT
2011 Summer Prospect & Development Camp
2011 Draft Day Thread
The 2011 Pre-Draft Thread [Picks 16, 76, 106, 136, 166, 196]
2010-2011 Prospect Thread & Index

2010 Draft Selections :
Round 1, Pick #23: Mark Pysyk RD
Round 3, Pick #68: Jerome Gauthier-Leduc RD
Round 3, Pick #75: Kevin Sundher C
Round 3, Pick #83: Matt MacKenzie RD
Round 4, Pick #98: Steven Shipley C not with organization, unsigned
Round 5, Pick #143 Gregg Sutch, RW not with organization, unsigned
Round 6, Pick #173 Cetric Henley, RW not with organization, unsigned
Round 7, Pick #203: Christian Isackson, RW
Round 7, Pick #208: Riley Boychuk , LW Traded To New Jersey

Sabres 2009 Draft Threads
Sabres Draft Day
The Draft Thread ‎(
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
First Round Pick Zack Kassian RW ‎(
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page) Traded
Third-Round selection: Brayden McNabb (D - Kootenay Ice, WHL)
Fourth Round - Marcus Foligno LW
Fifth-Rounder: Mark Adams (D - Malden Catholic, USHS)
Sixth Round Connor Knapp - G
Seventh Round - Maxime Legault RW AHL contract

2010 Sabres prospects at Canadian WJC development camp
2010 Summer Prospect & Development Camp (Dwyer Arena, July 5th to 9th) Thur 4-6:30pm
Prospect Thread Index and Discussion 2009-2010

Last edited:

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
The Sabres really do have a lot of quality within the system. We may not have any homerun prospects but we have an awful lot which appear to have an NHL future. Gotta tip my hate to scouting staff the past couple of years. This draft looks like one of the best ever but obviously time will tell. There certainly is lots of upside to just about every pick made.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The Sabres really do have a lot of quality within the system. We may not have any homerun prospects but we have an awful lot which appear to have an NHL future. Gotta tip my hate to scouting staff the past couple of years. This draft looks like one of the best ever but obviously time will tell. There certainly is lots of upside to just about every pick made.

I agree with you except I don't see how Grigorenko isn't a homerun-potential prospect.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I agree with you except I don't see how Grigorenko isn't a homerun-potential prospect.

Can't believe so many people have soured on him because he couldn't play as an 18 year old and still has holes in his game. He has the tool set to be a #1 offensive catalyst and I think he will be that once he gets stronger. His skating has significant improvements from January to April and is only getting better. The kid needs to face adversity because he has been so talented everything has come so easy.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Can't believe so many people have soured on him because he couldn't play as an 18 year old and still has holes in his game. He has the tool set to be a #1 offensive catalyst and I think he will be that once he gets stronger. His skating has significant improvements from January to April and is only getting better. The kid needs to face adversity because he has been so talented everything has come so easy.

Yeah, he still has that Spezza sort of big, smooth play-maker vibe. He's far from finished growing, or getting stronger. I'm excited to see what he can do.

Forgetting something? ;)

Ha! Good point.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

While I'm at it, Armia at least has the potential to be a 30-40 goal scorer. His natural shooting ability is fantastic, he has good hands, he's good one-on-one, and he has passing ability. He's also become a more aggressive player and has improved his skating a lot. Combine that with his plus size and there's a pretty good chance he'll be able to fulfil his potential. He's not going to be a 'gamebreaker' because the guys with that label have elite skating along with other high-end tools, but as unsexy as it will sound to some, he has the potential to be our next Vanek or Satan.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com

He's not a sure thing. Grigs might has top end talent but he has much to prove. He isn't in the same category as MacKinnon, tarasenko, huberdeau, drouin, Jones, ect. He's a tier below those guy, so yes, no home run.

I like Grig and Armia and see top line potential with both but let's not be foolish.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
He's not a sure thing. Grigs might has top end talent but he has much to prove. He isn't in the same category as MacKinnon, tarasenko, huberdeau, drouin, Jones, ect. He's a tier below those guy, so yes, no home run.

I like Grig and Armia and see top line potential with both but let's not be foolish.
Do you know what "homerun-potential" means?

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
Do you know what "homerun-potential" means?

Yep, The ceiling for Grigs isn't as high as it is for MacKinnon, Nugent-Hopkins, etc.

Do you?

And it's so Buffalo, I make a positive comment about depth and great job our scouting staff has done collecting lots of future NHL players and people focus in the lack of home run part. Guess most Buffalo fans are just scared of the truth.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Almost no teams have "sure thing" homerun prospects... those guys are already in the NHL. I said he has homerun potential. Grigorenko's potential is easily equal to that of Tarasenko.

Yep, The ceiling for Grigs isn't as high as it is for MacKinnon, Nugent-Hopkins, etc.

Do you?

And it's so Buffalo, I make a positive comment about depth and great job our scouting staff has done collecting lots of future NHL players and people focus in the lack of home run part. Guess most Buffalo fans are just scared of the truth.

I had to laugh at how ridiculous and condescending this comment was. First off, I see no reason why his ceiling isn't near the RNH level of true top line center. Would it matter if RNH actually did have a higher ceiling? Grigorenko's offensive ceiling is right there with most any player who is still a prospect.

I said Grigorenko has homerun potential, which basically everyone in the world agrees on, yet I'm scared of the truth.

It's also not "so Buffalo", because if anything Buffalo fans have an earned reputation for being negative.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
At the end of the day it's six of one, half-dozen of the other the kids is a really good prospect. I view him as a four star kid, apparently you as a 5 star kid. Does it really matter? Let's hope he can develop into a point a game player and then the team wins.

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
Would be great if someone could make a highlightvideo of the sabres prospects! I would make one if i only posessed some editing skills, but i dont.. Offseason.. Too long.. Cant take it..

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Do you?

Nope. Grigorenko has franchise center potential. Will he reach it? Time will tell.

Armia has some crazy high potential as well. If he develops properly he could become a consistent 30-goal scorer in this league.

Last edited by a moderator:

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Nope. Grigorenko has franchise center potential. Will he reach it? Time will tell.

Armia has some crazy high potential as well. If he develops properly he could become a consistent 30-goal scorer in this league.

Armia could be a Jeff Carter type player, although his is very hard to predict. Very high potential however.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Isn't their usually a prospect poll right around now? Just wondering. I think this one will be the most interesting in years.

it's going to be a tough one...
it was hard enough for me to separate Armia and Grigorenko last year... not we have a top 4 of Armia, Grigorenko, Ristolainen, Zadarov, and legitimate cases can be made about which one has the highest ceiling.

And then the 2nd group is just a rock solid collection of 2 way NHL bound talent Girgensons, Larsson, McCabe, Pysyk....

we have a sick top 10.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
it's going to be a tough one...
it was hard enough for me to separate Armia and Grigorenko last year... not we have a top 4 of Armia, Grigorenko, Ristolainen, Zadarov, and legitimate cases can be made about which one has the highest ceiling.

And then the 2nd group is just a rock solid collection of 2 way NHL bound talent Girgensons, Larsson, McCabe, Pysyk....

we have a sick top 10.

Yes we do.

Lets get the polls going ruck

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Girgensons is in that top tier, no doubt

I'm still not sure how his offense projects in the NHL. That's the only thing keeping him from being put on the level of the top 4 for me.

If I knew he could even provide Bergeron-level offense (consistent high 50s/low 60s), I'd agree he'd be in the top tier. But, I'm not sure his offense will be anything more than Horcoff level (consistent high 40s/low 50s, aside from 05/06).

Bergeron is a #1 C. Horcoff is a great #3/good #2. Big difference there, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad