Prospect Info: 2013-2014 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 12/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I wouldn't put too much stock in Duclair not being on Canada's roster. Guys as young as him are rarely on the team over WJC veterans. Only BIG talents ala Drouin/MacKinnon that young represent on the team.

If he's still in junior or the AHL next year I bet money on him making the team.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
our WJC team looks big this year. big tough team with an elite goalie at this level in gillies will be our blueprint for winning gold this year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
When was the last time the Rangers had a player on Team Canada? Marc Staal/Nigel Dawes?

I remember Staal and Tommy Pyatt being on the team one year. I don't remember if Dawes was on it the same year, or before/after. My memory is foggy going back that far. Some combination of those guys, though.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Buchnevich played 4:09 in the first period (over 5 shifts) and then didn't return to the game. Are they being cautious with him or did something else happen?

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
From Chris Peters RE: USA WJC team

Brady Skjei (NYR) — LS — University of Minnesota — The only first-round pick on Team USA’s blue line this year, Skjei made it to this stage of the selection process last season, but wasn’t quite ready. He is this year and among Team USA’s left-shot invitees, he is the best defender. A high-end skater with good size and some physicality, Skjei offers a potential top-two pairing defensive defenseman with enough offense to get by. He has four points this year at Minnesota and is a plus-9 on the nation’s best team. Having his own head coach on the bench for Team USA should help his usage a bit as I’d expect him to get big minutes anyway. The only thing Skjei has to be careful about, and this got him into some trouble at the summer camp a few times, is not trying to do too much. Because of that excellent skating ability, sometimes he’ll try to be the one-man breakout and sometimes it works. When it doesn’t it can mean trouble for his goalie. Assuming Skjei can manage that risk and pick his spots well, he is an asset on D who will definitely help the team a lot.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Duclair had a goal and two assists tonight (both primary) and finished -1 as his team lost 6-3. Two of Quebec's three goals came on the powerplay.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Duclair had a goal and two assists tonight (both primary) and finished -1 as his team lost 6-3. Two of Quebec's three goals came on the powerplay.

Trying not to get too excited about Duclair. Christian Thomas and Michael St. Croix put up huge numbers in juniors also.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

Watched a little of that game, didn't really notice him, although I don't blame him, his team was playing like garbage when I was watching.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Trying not to get too excited about Duclair. Christian Thomas and Michael St. Croix put up huge numbers in juniors also.

It's tough because Duclair has a better combination of raw talent than those two. Faster, gets to dirty areas more, shooter and passer, and he's got a pretty good frame for someone his size.

Christian Thomas I still believe will play in the NHL. Plenty of talent in him.

St Croix I do not.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
It's tough because Duclair has a better combination of raw talent than those two. Faster, gets to dirty areas more, shooter and passer, and he's got pretty good size.

St Croix I do not.

It's telling that a team like ours that is starving for goals gave up on him.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
It's tough because Duclair has a better combination of raw talent than those two. Faster, gets to dirty areas more, shooter and passer, and he's got a pretty good frame for someone his size.

St Croix I do not.

Yeah, both of those players are smaller and don't have the raw skating ability of Duc.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Yeah, both of those players are smaller and don't have the raw skating ability of Duc.

We have enough smallish players with slightly above average talent.

Duc's frame is impressive for only 5' 11", he's also got room to grow.

There's good reason to be excited about him.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

This is very flavor of the week.

Speed? Maybe. Talent? St. Croix is one of the most talented prospects I've ever seen, and is the best passer of all of them. He just has zero killer instinct.

Thomas is the best goal scorer, by far. His shot is unreal.

I'd slot Duclair as a prospect a notch above St. Croix and below Thomas. He wouldn't fetch us Danny Kristo.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well, I wouldn't have thought that Christian Thomas would net us Danny Kristo.

St. Croix is a mediocre skater that lacks some intensity and still doesn't engage physically. I've never been high on him, and haven't seen anything from him to change my opinion.

Thomas has the talent, but the size was always the question. Yeah, he's thick, strong, but he's still undersized. It's tough to overcome.

Duclair on the other hand has all the physical skills I'd want to see. He needs to bulk up, but he has the frame to accommodate that. There's nothing that I see about him physically or in his on-ice game that concerns me. For him, it's consistent effort. If he comes to play every night, he has less to overcome than either St. Croix or Thomas.

I'd put him a slight tick ahead of Thomas and two full notches above St. Croix.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Well, I wouldn't have thought that Christian Thomas would net us Danny Kristo.

St. Croix is a mediocre skater that lacks some intensity and still doesn't engage physically. I've never been high on him, and haven't seen anything from him to change my opinion.

Thomas has the talent, but the size was always the question. Yeah, he's thick, strong, but he's still undersized. It's tough to overcome.

Duclair on the other hand has all the physical skills I'd want to see. He needs to bulk up, but he has the frame to accommodate that. There's nothing that I see about him physically or in his on-ice game that concerns me. For him, it's consistent effort. If he comes to play every night, he has less to overcome than either St. Croix or Thomas.

I'd put him a slight tick ahead of Thomas and two full notches above St. Croix.

I have never been high in St. Croix either, but in terms of talent, he's probably the most skilled, which was the main reason I quotes the OP

Consistency is also a major question mark. It's not a minor issue like "he needs to bulk up".

Lets tame expectations, we haven't drafted a scoring player outside of Kreider in ages and we've all been down this road many many times. For all of this talk, 38 points in 29 games is impressive but nothing to write home about.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I have never been high in St. Croix either, but in terms of talent, he's probably the most skilled, which was the main reason I quotes the OP

Consistency is also a major question mark. It's not a minor issue like "he needs to bulk up".

Lets tame expectations, we haven't drafted a scoring player outside of Kreider in ages and we've all been down this road many many times. For all of this talk, 38 points in 29 games is impressive but nothing to write home about.

The team he is on is awful. It's a very good start.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

The Remparts are a 4 man deep team and he's not even on their top line.

It's impressive he's creating so much basically by himself.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I might speak glowingly of the kid, but my expectations are tempered. The odds are still against him becoming an impact player. The odds are against most prospects becoming impact players.

As others have mentioned, his point totals are more impressive taken in the context of the ****** team he plays on. That said, they're still just stats. They guarantee nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia