Prospect Info: 2013-2014 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 12/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
The good/weird thing is that our fanbase didn't overreact for once. He had an up and down year. I expected more *****ing about his play, but I guess there were other things to complain about.

It's great to see the improvement he's made. He looks like he did pre-NCAA. Awesome to see. Watching the kid skate is a joy.

I for one didn't care too much because our NHL defense was so stacked. Not that I would have freaked out anyway; he looked fine when I saw him play last season.

Ironically the 2 games I've seen from him this year I've thought he's looked bad. I'm guessing that's purely a coincidence however, based on everything I've read.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
No need to rush him.

Remember, McD looked good in college, but nothing like he has as a pro.

Let him stay one more year and then they can reassess this in the spring of 2015.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
No need to rush him.

Remember, McD looked good in college, but nothing like he has as a pro.

Let him stay one more year and then they can reassess this in the spring of 2015.

i just dont understand this logic. if skjei is good enough to play in the AHL than he should make the step up. it also allows the rangers to get their hands on him and work with him themselves. stepan was one of these types that "we should let stay another year" and he played his junior year entirely in the NHL and had a good season.

Bardof425*

It was a bit of both. He didn't play all that well when he did play and was stuck behind a ton of guys. It was what I like to call a true "learning year." And it looks like it helped him out quite a bit.

He was alot better as a Freshman than all of you are saying. He
Didn't produce alot of offense but it wasn't needed on that team. Brady is well positoned for
Big things

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
i just dont understand this logic. if skjei is good enough to play in the AHL than he should make the step up. it also allows the rangers to get their hands on him and work with him themselves. stepan was one of these types that "we should let stay another year" and he played his junior year entirely in the NHL and had a good season.

Yeah, but it's a lot easier to jump in as a forward than a defenseman.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

Defensemen take longer than forwards. Out of the same college program, McD stayed for his junior year.

No need to rush defensemen. Especially if they're not purely offensive defensemen.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Yeah, but it's a lot easier to jump in as a forward than a defenseman.

But nobody is suggesting that Skjei should spend his junior season entirely in the NHL as Stepan did. The suggestion is that he spends it entirely in the AHL, as most 20 year old prospects do.

McIlrath was very green last year, and yet the Rangers didn't tell him to play in the juniors as an overager or in the ECHL, it was taken for granted that he'll be playing in the AHL as a 20 year old. If Skjei can play quality AHL hockey, he should play there.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'd rather the kid play top minutes in the NCAA than be on the third pairing in Hartford.

NCAA long term guys have done us well of late. McDonagh, Kreider stayed 3 years. Hagelin stayed all 4. JT Miller should have gone to the NCAA program.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Defensemen take longer than forwards. Out of the same college program, McD stayed for his junior year.

No need to rush defensemen. Especially if they're not purely offensive defensemen.

if hes ready for the AHL, ur not rushing him. the ahl is a step up from ncaa and if hes ready for the step up in play then he shud be playing against the better competition.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I'd rather the kid play top minutes in the NCAA than be on the third pairing in Hartford.

I agree. But if he's going to be a dominant defenseman in college this year and then impresses in the summer camp, Traverse and preseason, there's no reason to send him back to college if he's only going to be bored there.

If he can play quality top-4 hockey in the AHL, no reason to bore him by playing against kids who are more interested in beer than hockey because they realize that their hockey "careers" will end the day they graduate.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If you slack off too much in the NCAA, a hungrier kid steps up and takes your place in the lineup.

I've seen kids stop taking division one hockey seriously, many "quit" the team within a calendar year.

Even if you're bored, so to speak, you are still gaining confidence and experience, while working towards an important degree.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
You're better off leaving him, or any player for that matter, at a lower level where they can learn to dominate and be an impact player before moving them up to the next level.

It makes it a lot easier for players to make that jump because they're not playing "catch up" and they know what they need to do and how to effectively use their skills to take over a game.

Makes it less likely for a player to bust as long as they have the right frame of mind.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Division 1 scholarship athletes get a great opportunity for a free education and learning experience to build for a career after hockey in the NCAA. They have to study all night after practice, and play in a strict system, which builds character.

In the AHL, you're riding a bus and learning nothing. It's not the worst thing in the world but if I thought I'd be starting in the AHL, I'd stay in the NCAA. Minor league hockey is not an attractive lifestyle. You have to really love the game. Really love it.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Division 1 scholarship athletes get a great opportunity for a free education and learning experience to build for a career after hockey in the NCAA. They have to study all night after practice, and play in a strict system, which builds character.

In the AHL, you're riding a bus and learning nothing. It's not the worst thing in the world but if I thought I'd be starting in the AHL, I'd stay in the NCAA. Minor league hockey is not an attractive lifestyle. You have to really love the game. Really love it.

Yeah I'm really impressed by NCAA athletes. Especially guys like Kreider who complete their degree in less than 4 years. Takes lots of hard work.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Duclair is the third star of the week in the QMJHL.

Anthony Duclair, of the Québec Remparts, completes the trio with 7 points and a +/- of +4 in three games. Thursday against Cape Breton, the first game of their Maritimes road trip, Anthony got 3 points in a 6-3 loss. Friday, Duclair was named the 2nd star against the Mooseheads, he got 1 shorthanded goal and 1 assist. Sunday, against Charlottetown, the Remparts won 6-3, two more assists for the 3rd rounder of the New York Rangers in 2013. Duclair climbed to 10th in the league’s scoring race with 42 points in 31 games, while being 4th in goals (24).

http://theqmjhl.ca/article/gauthier...amed-the-telus-three-stars-of-the-week/154700

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
Didn't realize Duclair was in town, I definitely would have thought about going down to see him play.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ryan Graves scored his third goal of the season last night. Troy Donnay recorded an assist.

Boo Nieves was scoreless for Michigan. He has just 8 points in 14 games. While he has looked pretty good when I've seen him this year, it's been a disappointing season overall for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad