Prospect Info: 2013-2014 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 12/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Also not much has been said about Nieves. Looks like he's a playmaker more than anything? Is his ceiling a #2 center?

After his spectacular rookie year, a lot of writers pegged him to be a really good #2, or an okay #1. He's VERY talented, but quite inconsistent. He's way more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. Joe Thornton-lite is his upside.

If he had the ability to finish he'd be a better prospect than Kreider was.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
What do you think of him as prospect? What's his ceiling? Likelihood to be a good player? etc.

His likelihood to be a good player lies exclusively on his ability to fill out. He's 6' 3" and very physical, but man, he's skinny. Only 175 lbs last time I checked.

He can really shoot the puck, definitely his best asset. He can also skate, pass, and dish out hits.

Again, if he can just put weight on (a lot, though :laugh:), he can be a very good power forward prospect. But, don't expect him on the Rangers for at least 3 years if at all. He's the biggest project of all Ranger prospects currently. However, UND is one of the best College Programs in the USA, so he's in good hands.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
His likelihood to be a good player lies exclusively on his ability to fill out. He's 6' 3" and very physical, but man, he's skinny. Only 175 lbs last time I checked.

He can really shoot the puck, definitely his best asset. He can also skate, pass, and dish out hits.

Again, if he can just put weight on (a lot, though :laugh:), he can be a very good power forward prospect. But, don't expect him on the Rangers for at least 3 years if at all. He's the biggest project of all Ranger prospects currently. However, UND is one of the best College Programs in the USA, so he's in good hands.

Thanks. Sounds like the guy has everything offensively you're looking for. Why shouldn't the guy be able to fill in in a weight room?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Thanks. Sounds like the guy has everything offensively you're looking for. Why shouldn't the guy be able to fill in in a weight room?

Not incredibly skilled, but has everything you want in a forward.

It's just a lot of weight to gain. The ideal weight for him is 215-220 pounds. He was 168 I think when first drafted.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not incredibly skilled, but has everything you want in a forward.

It's just a lot of weight to gain. The ideal weight for him is 215-220 pounds. He was 168 I think when first drafted.

His father Steve was about 6'0 190 lbs.--played for the Islanders back in the 80's--not sure if he was on a Cup winning team or not. He was more of a speedster and not all that physical--moved on to other NHL teams. I think he's an exec now or he was for the Canucks.

His brother Jeff also was an NHL player--though not a very good one. I think he played for Red Berenson at Michigan U. About 5'11 and 185 lbs. Was not a physical player at all. I think he's in Europe these days.

Tambellini has blood lines but if he turns out to be a 6'3 215 lb. physical forward he'll be a lot different from his father and his brother.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
What do you think of him as prospect? What's his ceiling? Likelihood to be a good player? etc.

He has good hands, but St. Lawrence has a very non-physical defense by NCAA standards and he was still shying away from any and all potential contact in the corners and in front of the net. He is not skilled enough to get away with that. Reminds me of early Kyle Wellwood in that regard.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
He has good hands, but St. Lawrence has a very non-physical defense by NCAA standards and he was still shying away from any and all potential contact in the corners and in front of the net. He is not skilled enough to get away with that. Reminds me of early Kyle Wellwood in that regard.

Really? He played very physical in the BCHL.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Really? He played very physical in the BCHL.

He looked like J.T. Miller last night. A little too much dependence on skill and not a lot of blue-collar work (Miller in the NHL). He also overstayed his shifts on several occasions, causing him to be late on the backcheck.

There were a few opportunities when he could've attacked an undersized and young Eric Sweetman, but chose to try to move around him instead. This is a problem a lot of the NYR forwards have as well, though, not to be hyper-critical.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Skjei scored his second goal tonight.

Tambellini was kicked out for throwing a check with contact to the head. Five plus a game misconduct.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I did not catch this game. I will look into the head-hitting incident. Looks like I chose the right game to watch.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Swedish WJC roster is picked on Thursday I believe.

Calle Anderssson is probably a long shot right now after missing the off-season and all the early pre-tournaments and camps. A newspaper had a list of player in the running for the final roster and Calle wasn't on it.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Brady Skjei has made good progress this season. The fall semester is ending soon. Skjei should be on the US WJC team. The US will be holding their camp this month. Will the Rangers try to sign Skjei to a pro contract or leave him in school for his junior year? He is using his size more and winning battles this season. I saw both Minnesota games against Wisconsin. He was tossing the Badgers forwards around in the Saturday game. He crunched a Badger forward on a pinch.

Boo Nieves has bad luck. He can't finish. Their game was on the Big Ten network on Friday. Nieves is struggling to score goals. He has a great shot. They play in Ohio State tonight.

Punxrocknyc19*

Brady Skjei has made good progress this season. The fall semester is ending soon. Skjei should be on the US WJC team. The US will be holding their camp this month. Will the Rangers try to sign Skjei to a pro contract or leave him in school for his junior year? He is using his size more and winning battles this season. I saw both Minnesota games against Wisconsin. He was tossing the Badgers forwards around in the Saturday game. He crunched a Badger forward on a pinch.

Boo Nieves has bad luck. He can't finish. Their game was on the Big Ten network on Friday. Nieves is struggling to score goals. He has a great shot. They play in Ohio State tonight.

seems to have the Rangers DNA right now... he will fit in nicely.. does he overpass as well.. Rangers need more of a shoot first mentality.. be more selfish on the ice

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
Do they usually invite so few players? they only need to make 3 or 4 cuts and none are goalies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Boo Nieves wasn't named to the US camp roster. He hasn't had a good year so far. Skjei should make it without any issues unless he falls flat in his face during the camp.

Punxrocknyc19*

When was the last time the Rangers had a player on Team Canada? Marc Staal/Nigel Dawes?

haha Dawes... look how his career turned out.. i could care less if they play for their country as long as they become good NHL players down the road...

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
When was the last time the Rangers had a player on Team Canada? Marc Staal/Nigel Dawes?

I think so. We've only drafted 2 Canadians in the 1st round since Staal. Del Zotto didn't make the cut and McIlrath was too much of a project to have a realistic chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA