Prospect Info: 2013-2014 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 12/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Brett Gallant doesn't play much. He has one function. Stortini is not a good player. He gets limited ice time. His NHL days are over.

The AHL I'd venture to say has more real goons per capita than the NHL. There's a lot of them looking for McIlrath. That being said by the time McIlrath got his 25 minutes worth of penalty minutes the other night--54 minutes of the game had elapsed--his team was down 3-0 and had generated all of 15 shots on goal--what's more there appears to have been some kind of line brawl--and he was on the ice when it happened. Asham being the initial fighter was the only one not thrown out. For the rest it would have been automatic. For some reason Dylan got a double game misconduct.

I have no issue with the way Dylan is playing or all the minutes he's accumulating. He's going to be a guy who fights a lot. No problem with that either and he seems to do it well.

Im worried about that hamhock he calls a hand. Lets hope he doesnt break it on some pos' melon head.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
What do you think is his ceiling? Will he always just be a role player at best?

No, I don't think he'll be a role player at all. I think he has the potential to be a really good second pairing defenseman, that's ****ing nasty and unpleasant and hated by all opponents. He's developing quite well--I was so damn pissed when we drafted him, but I've been pleasantly surprised by his development. Particularly this season. He's actually looking like a player that deserved to be drafted in the first round.

Also, what eco said is true--the AHL is loaded with goons, and guys that want to prove themselves. He has to deal with a lot more ******** in the AHL than he will at the NHL level. In the AHL, he's a first round pick, big guy nicknamed "The Undertaker," known for kicking ass. Guys want to go mess with him. In the NHL he's just another guy that's big and tough.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
No, I don't think he'll be a role player at all. I think he has the potential to be a really good second pairing defenseman, that's ****ing nasty and unpleasant and hated by all opponents. He's developing quite well--I was so damn pissed when we drafted him, but I've been pleasantly surprised by his development. Particularly this season. He's actually looking like a player that deserved to be drafted in the first round.

Also, what eco said is true--the AHL is loaded with goons, and guys that want to prove themselves. He has to deal with a lot more ******** in the AHL than he will at the NHL level. In the AHL, he's a first round pick, big guy nicknamed "The Undertaker," known for kicking ass. Guys want to go mess with him. In the NHL he's just another guy that's big and tough.

Good enough for the first round or good enough for top 10?

Also, if Girardi can be a first pairing guy, what's stopping McI?

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I didn't have much time to reply earlier, and most of what I was going to say was already said. I agree with what these guys have said about McIlrath and just wanted to add that something I think gets overlooked at times is his leadership qualities. Could definitely see him wearing a letter in the NHL at some point. He also just seems like a really good kid.

The organization has invested a lot in him, that's why I laugh when he's thrown into trades. This kid isn't going anywhere unless the Rangers are unhappy with his development.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Good enough for the first round or good enough for top 10?

Also, if Girardi can be a first pairing guy, what's stopping McI?

Well, the first question is hard to answer. There are plenty of people who will tell you a big, tough crease-clearing defenseman isn't worth a top ten pick ever. And people will also say, "Well Tarasenko and Schwartz and Fowler blah blah blah..." So it's hard to say. If he becomes what I believe he can become, I'd be very comfortable drafting him tenth overall. Others might disagree.

The second question, who knows? I don't really think anything is stopping him. I guess it's more of a matter of "labels" than anything. Is a first-pairing defenseman someone who can play 20 minutes per night, is great defensively and contributes offensively? Is it just someone who plays great defense for 25 minutes each night? Is it a guy that's found two to a team, on every team? You know? Everyone labels those things differently. If you define "first pairing defenseman" as someone who can play on a good team's first pair and not look out of place, then yeah, I guess he could do it. I don't see any glaring deficiencies in his defensive game that would prevent that from happening.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I've always wondered other people's opinions on this. Can McIlrath beat Lucic in a fight? What do you guys think?

I say he can, McIlrath isn't a guns-swinging punch happy fighter. He knows what he's doing. Lucic's fighting prowess comes a lot from his strength, which McIlrath can match. Lucic doesn't match up well against real tough guys that are his size. What do you guys think? I don't think this deserves its own thread.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I've always wondered other people's opinions on this. Can McIlrath beat Lucic in a fight? What do you guys think?

I say he can, McIlrath isn't a guns-swinging punch happy fighter. He knows what he's doing. Lucic's fighting prowess comes a lot from his strength, which McIlrath can match. Lucic doesn't match up well against real tough guys that are his size. What do you guys think? I don't think this deserves its own thread.

Right now, probably not. Age difference right now is too great. In the future? Maybe. McIlrath is a monster for sure but Lucic is one of the best fighters in the league. I am sure we will see it eventually.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey

Until he dropped Carkner last year, I would have said McIlrath easily. I have more respect for Lucic now in the fighting dept. That being said, McIlrath would be a lot for Lucic to handle.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Until he dropped Carkner last year, I would have said McIlrath easily. I have more respect for Lucic now in the fighting dept. That being said, McIlrath would be a lot for Lucic to handle.

Carkner's a pretty bad fighter for a guy his size, in my opinion.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If McIlrath becomes a tougher version of Beuke, that would be an A+ home run hit at the # 10 pick.

Guys like Beuke can't play in todays game, but a guy who can skate AND play like Beuke...that's a unique player.

Unique players are tough to find today, lotsa similar comparables all around the league. Guys like Kreider, Nash, etc who are truly unique, are tough to find.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
The Rangers are very good at that, drafting players that are unique. The closest (and that's a stretch) comparison to Kreider is Ovechkin. Hagelin there isn't much comparison to. Hank is the most unique tender in the NHL. Callahan is just weird, scores plenty but can't play with skill guys. McIlrath fits this mold too, very few guys hit like a truck AND can skate. Guys like Orpik are hard to find, but guys that are Orpik on steroids are almost impossible to find (until they pull a Doug Murray and become slugs overnight). I really like what we have in this kid.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

It's hard to say really. If he holds his own that's good. Dylan still has to grow a bit into his strength which will happen around 24-25-26. Lucic is already there. Dylan's getting a lot of practice though. Lucic is not always a frequent fighter.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
It's hard to say really. If he holds his own that's good. Dylan still has to grow a bit into his strength which will happen around 24-25-26. Lucic is already there. Dylan's getting a lot of practice though. Lucic is not always a frequent fighter.
Yep. Could Lucic's advantage for the next year or so and McIlrath taking over from there. Dylan completely filled out will be scary for the rest of the league.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Lucic would have to fight a guy hisi size or toughness to form an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad