2013-2014 Lake Erie Monsters/ Denver Cutthroats Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Ahh Steve Spott, the guy who put MacKinnon on the 4th line in WJC.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Ahh Steve Spott, the guy who put MacKinnon on the 4th line in WJC.

Also the guy who coached Landeskog and played a role in him becoming such a good player. Landeskog gives him a lot of credit for helping him when he came over from Sweden.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Outsider coming in peace...
I gave Seph my $0.02 about Max Iafrate. And it appeared Iafrate was treated differently when he made mistakes compared to other players like Ryan Murphy or even Gabe. When Iafrate made a mistake he was benched for it while players like Murphy were allowed to play through them and not ride the pine. With that said, coach Spott (he was the GM in Kitchener too) did develop alot of players and was liked by his players as well. Landeskog, Skinner, Ryan Murphy, John Gibson, John Moore, Jeremy Morin...etc were players that seemed to excel under him. He handled players differently and it appeared Max Iafrate got the "tough love" approach with sitting him out when he made a mistake.
This wasnt meant to defend him, more of an WJC anti-flame post.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Thanks for the info. What did you expect to happen with Iafrate? Were you anticipating him getting an ATO with someone? Just wondering where the fans saw his career headed.

I expected him to get an ATO. He was at the Caps training camp this preseason. Alot of Max's issues last year were due to confidence. He seem to handle the puck more in the offensive zone year and was given a bit more free reign. I think you have a decent prospect on your hands that still has up side.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
OHL Prospects Blog ‏@BrockOtten 1m
Have to believe Avs might be interested in drafting Iafrate this yr with him signing in LE. 2nd best draft overager behind Hunter Smith IMO.

I didn't realize that Iafrate was a 94... I thought he was a late 93. I guess that is what I get for assuming. :help:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
OHL Prospects Blog ‏@BrockOtten 1m
Have to believe Avs might be interested in drafting Iafrate this yr with him signing in LE. 2nd best draft overager behind Hunter Smith IMO.

I didn't realize that Iafrate was a 94... I thought he was a late 93. I guess that is what I get for assuming. :help:

At least Pracey can't use a 2nd round pick on him like he did with Heard.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Surprisingly I found this game on my TV and in HD!!!!!!

Monsters dominated the game and still lost 4-3 in a shootout.

This season can be described as....growing pains. Literally every defensive turnover lead to the back of the net.

Pickard was NOT good at all, let in a terrible squeaker for Marlies 2nd goal. The biggest weakest I saw with Pickard is his inability to track the puck, a lot of looking around even in clear view shots. What I've seen so far, if Roy is right about trading one of the these goalers he is definitely the one gone IMO.

As for the players the ones who were noticeable,

- Elliott: Was the man of the match for me. The amount of growth I have seen in this game compared to at least two years ago has been astronomical. Looked like a true awesome prospect in a very long time.

- Schumacher: Had a nice steal from a terrible play from Sparks for his goal, but he was great all night long. Just played a solid sixty minute game.

- Olver: Probably done with our organization after this, but really solid top 6 AHLer.

Others
Smith: Was fantastic offensively (insane vision for Elliott's goal), but again growing pains. Looked lost defensively and was the reason for Marlies 1st goal on the PP.

Agozzino: Was really average, but you can tell his talent.

Siemens: Actually a really solid game for Duncan, didn't do anything special or noticeable. Just played a simple game.

Cheek and Heard: Both actually had good games, Heard had a prime scoring chance to win the game with 30 seconds remaining, but his backhand isn't as good as Crosby's. Both players were throwing their bodies around and got under the skin a bit of the Marlies defensemen. Heard was playing wing while Cheek goes to the dirty areas which is good to see.

Beaupre: Was completely invisible tonight. Don't think Plagens even called his name once.

Sgarbossa: Worst player on the Monsters in this game besides Daavettila and Pickard. Literally did everything wrong and took a very stupid penatly as well.

Stollery: Was fantastic, plays a Johnson style of rushing game (without the physical dominance of course) in the AHL. Really hope we keep him.

A lot of learning and growing pains, but Monsters potential is there to be a solid team (perhaps not this year). Still a lot of games left in the season, but losing games you should be winning isn't going to get you to the post season. #FreeBourke

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Beaupre: Was completely invisible tonight. Don't think Plagens even called his name once.

That's because he took a hard crosscheck in the opening minutes of the game and never returned.

Anyhow, nice to hear your thoughts as many match my impressions. Anyone who thinks Sgarbossa is a real option for the Avs in the future needs to reevaluate. Pickard is looking progressively worse. He's not bad all the time but I'm not sure he's getting any better. Those who freaked out over Berra need to watch an entire Monsters game too.

Pretty much the story of the Monsters even when they play well they still can't win. No goals in the SO is just sad.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
There's a reason Roy and Sakic are signing or looking for other prospects to join the Monsters. It's a mess down there. I wouldn't be too worried about Sgarbossa. He's had a down year with injuries. I'm holding out some hope for him. This season definitely has not been good for him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not going to write off all our forward prospects but I don't think it's going to happen for Sgarbossa. Apparently rumor is they were not happy with the shape he arrived to camp in and he hasn't done anything since returning from injury. The temporary mercenaries have done more. I'm just not seeing much reason for optimism. Of course there is always hope.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That's because he took a hard crosscheck in the opening minutes of the game and never returned.

Anyhow, nice to hear your thoughts as many match my impressions. Anyone who thinks Sgarbossa is a real option for the Avs in the future needs to reevaluate. Pickard is looking progressively worse. He's not bad all the time but I'm not sure he's getting any better. Those who freaked out over Berra need to watch an entire Monsters game too.

Pretty much the story of the Monsters even when they play well they still can't win. No goals in the SO is just sad.

Thanks for the heads up on Beaupre.

I think you're being way overcritical of Sgarbossa, he was fantastic last season so this could be a sophomore slump for him including that major injury as well. He still has NHL potential IMO.

Also concerning Pickard, he still has good potential, but agreed he has been progressively worst. That is why I think he's gone while Aittokaillo has shown improvement in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad