2013-2014 Lake Erie Monsters/ Denver Cutthroats Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zandar

Jan 20, 2007
Is Heard just a goon now?

No just reckless still. He is a very good shutdown player when he wants to be and is used in that role. Doesn't see a lot of quality ice time/linemates so his numbers are lower. Just imagine what Elliott's assist numbers would be if LE had more finishers rather than grinders and set-up guys.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I always figured at best Heard would end up like Kesler without the goal scoring. Still-too-reckless sounds a lot like Kesler without the offense.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
No just reckless still. He is a very good shutdown player when he wants to be and is used in that role. Doesn't see a lot of quality ice time/linemates so his numbers are lower. Just imagine what Elliott's assist numbers would be if LE had more finishers rather than grinders and set-up guys.

That was going to be my next question since I can't find the TOI information, is he playing on the 3rd/4th line? How is he supposed to develop his offense if he isn't getting ice time and is stuck with bad players?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yes, he plays 3rd/4th line. He's not exactly a goon, though he can be. Maggio is pretty much the goon. He's a D playing forward but it doesn't matter. Anyway, Heard can kill penalties and take D zone faceoffs, so he's used for that. He's definitely not used in any offensive capacity. Lake Erie has enough trouble generating offense that they don't experiment much with roles though the lines get shuffled around a lot. Meurs has also been relegated to the 4th line agitator role too. I was thinking about it the other day that Heard has cut down on the stupid penalties. I really think he could replace Bordy in a few years and actually do other things such as PK but he probably wouldn't be considered a heavyweight like Bordy is though.

The lines right now are something like

DVDG/Olver/Agozzino
Schumacher/Smith/Desbiens
Sgarbossa/Bourke/Wyman
Maggio/Cheek/Heard/Meurs

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yes, he plays 3rd/4th line. He's not exactly a goon, though he can be. Maggio is pretty much the goon. He's a D playing forward but it doesn't matter. Anyway, Heard can kill penalties and take D zone faceoffs, so he's used for that. He's definitely not used in any offensive capacity. Lake Erie has enough trouble generating offense that they don't experiment much with roles though the lines get shuffled around a lot. Meurs has also been relegated to the 4th line agitator role too. I was thinking about it the other day that Heard has cut down on the stupid penalties. I really think he could replace Bordy in a few years and actually do other things such as PK but he probably wouldn't be considered a heavyweight like Bordy is though.

The lines right now are something like

DVDG/Olver/Agozzino
Schumacher/Smith/Desbiens
Sgarbossa/Bourke/Wyman
Maggio/Cheek/Heard/Meurs

Has Sgarbossa's game fallen off that much?

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
That was going to be my next question since I can't find the TOI information, is he playing on the 3rd/4th line? How is he supposed to develop his offense if he isn't getting ice time and is stuck with bad players?

How is Heard going to find his offense? It is likely he won't. IF he makes the NHL it will be as a bottom line player. 3rd line defensive guy at best. Or that would be my guess.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Has Sgarbossa's game fallen off that much?

The AHL is a lot different than the NHL. They have a lot of skilled guys who are trying to make it to the next level so instead of the usual top 6 and bottom 6 in the NHL you will generally see 3 lines of talent along with the 4th line which has the makeup of an NHL 3rd line. Obviously the talent isn't as good but the styles are in that pattern. Some teams have 1 or 2 typical 4th line style players but for the most part the teams have talent more evenly spread throughout.

Sgarbossa isn't having a great season but by seeing him on the 3rd line shouldn't raise any flags. AHL coaches just make the best combinations possible out of their most talented players. 1st, 2nd and 3rd line titles really don't mean much.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah and with injuries, call ups and just Coach C's daily screwing with lines it's different on almost a constant basis. Still though, Sgarbossa has not had a great year. There seems to be some chemistry with Bourke and Wyamn so hope that continues.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Sgarbossa is an example of a player who, in a properly run organization, would have the 2 or 3 years of unhurried development time in the AHL that he needs to be ready to take the next step. Until this season the Avs have needed help and there has been too much hurrying. That seems to be changing with our new brain trust, and that will be to the great benefit of the Avs and LEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad