2013-2014 Lake Erie Monsters/ Denver Cutthroats Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
A healthy team and some strong forechecking/compete level style of game by Dean is making this Monsters team look really, really solid.

Even how much you guys despise Dean-y boy, the Monsters were very impressive against the Marlies (more defensive errors and bad goaltending lost them that game).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Monsters get another shutout! 3-0, Aittokallio with 23 saves. Desbiens, Elliott and Sgarbossa with goals. I don't know if its just Rochester has packed it in already or something is finally clicking for the Monsters. Bourke seems to give them a bit of a spark and Smith is all over the ice, he has to play at least 20 minutes every night. With Beaupre out Siemens is paired with Elliott.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Max Iafrate (D) turns 20 in four days played for LEM today. Is he signed to a PTO? I assume it's Al's son.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I hope we snag some more long term projects to build Lake Erie up. Would be awesome to have a development team that actually develops that long shots, like Detroit do. Some more euros, college FAs, and big forwards that need the extra time, to fill out the roster with a new staff could lead to a lot of big changes next year.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I hope we snag some more long term projects to build Lake Erie up. Would be awesome to have a development team that actually develops that long shots, like Detroit do. Some more euros, college FAs, and big forwards that need the extra time, to fill out the roster with a new staff could lead to a lot of big changes next year.

Looks like they are moving in the right direction. Iafrate is interesting but he's not the Avs property unless they draft him this year, or he goes undrafted and then the Avs sign him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Looks like they are moving in the right direction. Iafrate is interesting but he's not the Avs property unless they draft him this year, or he goes undrafted and then the Avs sign him.

That Corbett kid they signed seems like a move in this direction as well. With Schumacher paying off, at least for the monsters, I hope they keep searching for kids that weren't drafted by our organization to fill out our cubbard.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I'm liking what the organization is doing now. It's obvious that Roy and Sakic believe that no one in the AHL can be trusted playing any sort of NHL role at the moment. We need some players in the AHL that can be brought up and at least play on the 3rd line for a short period of time. So far our prospects are too young for that such as Bourke, Smith, Hishon, Agozzino, Sgarbossa, etc. Then there's the long term AHL guys like Carey and Malone that are average AHL players and not trustworthy enough for Roy to use them in any important role.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith

Iafrate turns 20 in a few days, and as an undrafted CHL player he'll be eligible to sign with the Avs without doing through the draft.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That's confusing but there ya go. This does beg the question of why the Avs would telegraph their interest in him by bringing him to the AHL and showcasing him?

When it comes to kids from the CHL, almost every team knows who is interested in who. Scouts from those areas know each other pretty well, talk frequently, and see each other at games all the time. Europe is a different story, especially in the non-powerhouse countries. It is a minor telegraph, but teams would know that the Avs are interested in Iafrate.

I don't think it was an accident that both Andrighetto and Lipon were picked less than 10 picks before the Avs picked in the 4th. Montreal and Winnipeg both knew they wouldn't last past the Avs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Assuming the Avs like what they see in Iafrate, which round do you think they'd take him?

The Avs tend to pick their overagers in the 5th+ rounds (the Heard mistake is an exception). Storm (6th), Heard (2nd), Smith (7th), Walker (5th), Millan (5th), Olver (5th), etc.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Great for Moffie and Arseneau, also so nice to see Sami recognized for his two shutouts. I didn't really realize how good of a season those who were having in Denver. They seemed to have been in the doghouse a bit in Lake Erie.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
When it comes to kids from the CHL, almost every team knows who is interested in who. Scouts from those areas know each other pretty well, talk frequently, and see each other at games all the time. Europe is a different story, especially in the non-powerhouse countries. It is a minor telegraph, but teams would know that the Avs are interested in Iafrate.

I don't think it was an accident that both Andrighetto and Lipon were picked less than 10 picks before the Avs picked in the 4th. Montreal and Winnipeg both knew they wouldn't last past the Avs.

Thanks, I appreciate the insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad