2013-2014 CIS Regular Season Thread

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
I considered these factors. I have no Ontario teams in the top 6. Not that the OUA is at all week, it is just that they have a large group of teams with modestly above average record.

In the OUA East, I have UQTR 7th, McGill 9th, Carleton 10th, and Queen's 14th. In the OUA West Ryerson is 8th, Western Ontario 15th, Windsor 18th, and Lakehead 19th.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=78438069&postcount=22

That looks about right. I'd argue that Western should be ranked above Queen's. Not only have the Mustangs beaten them them twice, Queen's has gotten fat in their own division on games with RMC, Laurentian, Nipissing, UOIT and Concordia - all arguably weaker opponents than Laurier - the bottom team in the OUA West (Laurier is 4-0 against the bottom 5 East teams and have also beaten McGill and Western).

I like where you've ranked Ryerson and I do think they are the one legit top 10 team from the OUA West - their record is a bit misleading because it includes the forfeits of games they very likely would have won.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
That looks about right. I'd argue that Western should be ranked above Queen's. Not only have the Mustangs beaten them them twice, Queen's has gotten fat in their own division on games with RMC, Laurentian, Nipissing, UOIT and Concordia - all arguably weaker opponents than Laurier - the bottom team in the OUA West (Laurier is 4-0 against the bottom 5 East teams and have also beaten McGill and Western).

I like where you've ranked Ryerson and I do think they are the one legit top 10 team from the OUA West - their record is a bit misleading because it includes the forfeits of games they very likely would have won.

My rankings did not include Ryerson's forfeitures, because those games were not actually played.

The Queens and Urban Cowboys have each played 12 games against B teams and 8 games against C teams and the Queens are 1 point better. So not much of a difference!

chlfan99

Aug 10, 2010
Holywood, i was just wondering what makes Saskachewan the number 5 ranked team in the country in your rankings? I have never seen them play but I looked at their record and they are close to a .500 hockey team at 12-9-1 and many teams have better records.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Holywood, i was just wondering what makes Saskachewan the number 5 ranked team in the country in your rankings? I have never seen them play but I looked at their record and they are close to a .500 hockey team at 12-9-1 and many teams have better records.

The teams behind them are really close. The Mutts have no losses to C teams and a great record against B teams. So they got the nod.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UBC men's hockey now on life support. They were not listed as one of the first 16 varsity teams that will continue to receive funding beyond 2015. Women's hockey, however, was included.

Men's hockey will now have to go through stage two of funding applications. UBC expected to only fund five or six more varsity teams.

Just watched Bob McCowan show where Drago was on (by telephone) and painted a bleak picture of the future of UBC hockey. Says that it costs approx. 500K to run the program because they fly everywhere and usually stay Thurs - Sun. 3 nights hotel, meals, etc.....

He said they are looking to copy the Lakehead model. They have a couple of weeks to put a plan together to present to the University. If they don't succeed, they MAY become a club team.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
Word on campus is that the administration will be making a request that CIS adapt Quidditch as a recognized university sport to replace men's ice hockey. Oh such joy, all those scarf wearing little scallywags giggling and prancing about in full on competition.:teach2:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Word on campus is that the administration will be making a request that CIS adapt Quidditch as a recognized university sport to replace men's ice hockey. Oh such joy, all those scarf wearing little scallywags giggling and prancing about in full on competition.:teach2:
It would be a damn shame to lose hockey at UBC!
It's been a long time since we've heard from Stauffer and his insight on the this years Bears.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Just watched Bob McCowan show where Drago was on (by telephone) and painted a bleak picture of the future of UBC hockey. Says that it costs approx. 500K to run the program because they fly everywhere and usually stay Thurs - Sun. 3 nights hotel, meals, etc.....

He said they are looking to copy the Lakehead model. They have a couple of weeks to put a plan together to present to the University. If they don't succeed, they MAY become a club team.

Pardon my lack of knowledge on the suject, but how does Lakehead make it work?

thook

Jan 9, 2010
Pardon my lack of knowledge on the suject, but how does Lakehead make it work?

Lakehead makes it work by being the top team in town. They get usually 2500 - 3500 people a game. Adults are $13 bucks kids are $8 with no senior discounts. They do hockey schools as well.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Lakehead makes it work by being the top team in town. They get usually 2500 - 3500 people a game. Adults are $13 bucks kids are $8 with no senior discounts. They do hockey schools as well.

Well there's no way in hell UBC can do that, so I hope that's not their only plan. :laugh:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB

And those attendance numbers in Thunder Bay are going to be a challenge when the AHL moves into town ...

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
It is odd that UBC is keeping the individual sports and other than basketball keeping just the men or just the women. It seems that way they can keep each sport's governing body onside, to some extent at least. I don't care for that.

I know years ago the U of W dumped some sports so they could have men's and women's basketball and volleyball. Those programs operate with the same budget and on the same level as the programs at other bigger universities. They have recently added soccer and wrestling, and hockey rumours pop up occasionally. A baseball program was added with help from the local baseball people. (The team finishes before the local season starts.)

thook

Jan 9, 2010
And those attendance numbers in Thunder Bay are going to be a challenge when the AHL moves into town ...

IF they come to town. Right now it's just a dog and pony show. Nothing is signed and they have not even broke ground for a new rink. I've been around the Thunder Bay hockey scene for a,long time. Player coach and fan. I've seen teams come and go. My prediction is.... AHL team comes. We lose the thunderwolves because of it. AHL leaves after say 4 or 5 years because this city will not support it. And we are all watching jr a hockey in a 100 million dollar rink! Someone save this because this is very plausible. I'm good with having the thunderwolves as the big dog in town. It's good hockey. Maybe not enough games but it is what it is. It's the only team that has survived long term in a very long time in Thunder Bay.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
From what I've heard and read, men's hockey does receive quite a bit in donations. I dont know if that alone can keep it afloat.

Also keep in mind that part of UBC's decision making process involves on-field/ice success, which the men's team has none.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

It will be a couple of years before AHL is in town.

To add to thook comments: I heard Gary Green yesterday on Bob McCowan show. He is an ex-NHL coach, etc. He currently works with the management group in charge of the whole TB thing. True North will own the team and the rink. T-Wolves will be a tenant as well.

thook

Jan 9, 2010
It will be a couple of years before AHL is in town.

To add to thook comments: I heard Gary Green yesterday on Bob McCowan show. He is an ex-NHL coach, etc. He currently works with the management group in charge of the whole TB thing. True North will own the team and the rink. T-Wolves will be a tenant as well.

The whole own the rink thing is not true. The city will own the rink and tax payers will build it. They will be hired and a management group to operate the city owned facility.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
IMO they should have a combined ticket package. Lots of people will get season tickets and maybe both teams for one price would be a good deal. Or those who get a 10-game pack could get 8 AHL and 2 CIS games. The AHL teams I believe only have 35-36 home games now, so merging that with 14 CIS games gives a lot of options.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Well there's no way in hell UBC can do that, so I hope that's not their only plan. :laugh:

UBC coach said that they would need about 1500 fans per game to make a go of it. They currently get 2-300 fans per game.

I checked the boxscore from their home game last night and they got 856. Probably a spike from the alumni and some concerned students. Unfortunately it won't be enough.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
CanadaWest

Former UNB forward Geordie Wudruck picked up an assist to go along with 3 shots for UBC in an upset over Calgary. He should get lots of ice, unlike at UNB and help UBC down the stretch. He is a big body with skill (former 40 goal scorer in WHL) but wasn't willing to get involved with the physical side of the game at UNB. From my perspective, this was the reason he found his way into the stands, instead of an everyday player on the V- Reds roster.
UBC has proven at times, that they can play with top level teams in Calgary and North Dakota, so it would be nice to see them in the CanadaWest playoffs.
Watched the Mount Royal vs Alberta game and it looked like the Bears were lucky that this went to ot!
Big comeback from SMU in Antigonish, down by 3 in the final period. Panthers get by the Blue Eagles. What a competitive log jam from 3 rd to 6th in the AUS standings. Home ice up for grabs!

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Lakehead's men's varsity hockey team is the only privately owned men's hockey team in the CIS. The "Lakehead model" for men's hockey is similar to Laval's for football (Laval's varsity football team is also privately owned) and the "Laval model" was examined back around 2000 before Lakehead Hockey relaunched after an 18 year absence.

In 2001, 25 local investors agreed to each plunk down $3500 to create the required seed money for the program rebirth. All of the team's operations (hockey schools, etc.) are part of the "busines model" and the university provides virtually nothing.

In short, the team is owned and run like a business.

thook

Jan 9, 2010
Lakehead's men's varsity hockey team is the only privately owned men's hockey team in the CIS. The "Lakehead model" for men's hockey is similar to Laval's for football (Laval's varsity football team is also privately owned) and the "Laval model" was examined back around 2000 before Lakehead Hockey relaunched after an 18 year absence.

In 2001, 25 local investors agreed to each plunk down $3500 to create the required seed money for the program rebirth. All of the team's operations (hockey schools, etc.) are part of the "busines model" and the university provides virtually nothing.

In short, the team is owned and run like a business.

Yes. This has been great and terrible for the program. There is a board that runs the team. I have read on here many people wondering what happened to lakehead and why they have never really lived up to what people expectations were. Well... I attribute it to this board thinking they are mlse. They have stuck their noses into day to day operations of the team way too much. Firing coaches and kicking player off the team. Since Pete left there has been nothing it instability with in the team. That being said... they have done a Good thing and hired bill McDonald. He is a no BS type of coach. He seems to have a good handle on the team. They have been over achieving this year with him behind the bench. Now if the team can recruit like they did in the past, combined with the momentum they are creating right now, they may finally be putting something good together.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad