2013-2014 CIS Regular Season Thread

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Aaaannndd McGill loses to Laurier... shocking.

That race for the east is getting more and more interesting. Can't wait to see what Queen's is made of. They haven't face tough opponents so far, except in their last two games.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
RMC grabbed its first point of the season tonight in an OT loss to Guelph. After going 0-13-1, we sit only 7 points back of a playoff spot and have games against teams we beat in the preseason (Queen's x2, UQTR) Teams we got points off of last season (Concordia, UOIT), 9th place Nipissing x2, and 2 one goal losses to Ottawa this season (preseason and regular season) With a healthy lineup and timely goaltending, RMC is still in it.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
#1 vs. #2

s at Calgary-Alberta game last night.
Great game. Former Golden Bear Mark Howell has built a helluva team in Calgary. The Dinos are big and can grind. This is a far better team then the one the Dinos had that almost upset UNB in Fredericton at National a few years ago.
The Bears have three lines of skill and can score but are small.
Calgary boxed the Bears out on the weekend and Jacob Desserres who won a Memorial Cup with Saint John was solid in goal.
Bears outshot Dinos 72-52 in the two games.
The Bears rallied tying the game with just 19.1 seconds left and won it in double OT.
Both teams were gassed in the end.
By all reports the Bears were all over Calgary in the first two periods in Calgary on Friday but couldn't score.
Dinos full marks for three points.
But to me Alberta looked like the better team...but the Dinos are completley capable of winning the Canada West.
Unfortunately only one of these teams will NOT make it to Univesity Cup in Saskatoon.
The Huskies-who are having a terrible year!...are gauranteed a spot as host.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
Crazy game in Montreal this morning for McGill's annual "Stay in School" game at 10:30am. Concordia goes up 2-0 2:51 in, Kelly Nobes pulls CIS veteran Andrew Flemming. Concordia goes up 3-0 10 minutes in.....only to have McGill come back, but up 7 goals in the 3rd period alone, to win 9-3 at McConnell Arena.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
So for those of you who follow the OUA closely is Queen's the real deal? Goalie Kevin Bailie has certainly put up some impressive numbers. Have to say it was a surprise to see them leading the East. I thought it was going be Carleton but I noticed they have slipped in the last month. UQTR hasn't done as badly as some predicted either.

Nice to see Lakehead leading in the West. It has bee a while for them. I'm guessing it is going to come down to them and Windsor.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
So for those of you who follow the OUA closely is Queen's the real deal? Goalie Kevin Bailie has certainly put up some impressive numbers. Have to say it was a surprise to see them leading the East. I thought it was going be Carleton but I noticed they have slipped in the last month. UQTR hasn't done as badly as some predicted either.

Nice to see Lakehead leading in the West. It has bee a while for them. I'm guessing it is going to come down to them and Windsor.

Carleton has forgotten about the type of play that earned them success last season. Looks like they've read too many press clippings and believe they are entitled to wins. Their work ethic this year matches a beer league team.
I've only seen Queen's play once and saw a very disciplined, opportunistic team that knows how to capitalize off mistakes, they are dangerous.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON

I've seen Queen's play Western twice this year. They are a tight-checking team and have a solid goalie in Kevin Baillie - all of their games this year have been close. They are very opportunistic - not especially strong offensively, but solid defensively. It's getting to the point where it's hard to ignore that they've gone 15 regulation games without a loss. At the same time, they have not played McGill, UQTR or Carleton in the regular season, so the second half will tell a lot about this team. But, they beat Windsor twice and beat Ottawa the other night, who may be the best team in the East this year.

I haven't seen Lakehead play this year, but am not sold on them yet. They have had an exceptionally light schedule during the first half, plus they lost two games to UOIT. But you have to win your games against lesser competition, and they’ve mostly done that so far, so kudos to them. Because they play doubleheaders each weekend, the luck of the draw has them missing McGill, UQTR, and Carleton in crossovers this year. Still, they will face much stiffer competition after the holidays so we'll see if their record is for real. Kind of the same situation as Queen's, although I'd say Queen's has had a tougher first-half schedule.

The biggest surprise in the OUA West this year - to me, anyway - is Waterloo. I thought after their late run last year and fairly low player turnover, they'd take the division. But they are middle of the pack.

I do not see any dominant team in the OUA this year. There are probably somewhere between 8-10 teams that could end up as champions, and then get squashed at the University Cup. My guess is that McGill finishes first in the East, but would not be surprised if it's Ottawa. I think Windsor will take the West. But I think anything can and probably will happen in the playoffs.

I don't know about others, but I'm thrilled that we don't see UNB, McGill/UQTR, Western and Alberta as the division leaders at the break this year - it's been these 5 teams for what seems like forever and it's nice to see so many new faces.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
Does anyone know whay Queens does not play at the K Rock Centre?

Can barely get 50 people to their games in a 3,000 seat arena they call home.

It's the same reason the OJHL's Kingston Voyageurs don't play at the K-Rock Centre, the Frontenacs want to be the only hockey team in the building. The Vees applied to host the RBC Cup at the K-Rock, and even when the Frontenacs were horrid, the owner of the Frontenacs wanted to keep those dates open for the East Conference Final or the OHL final.

K-Rock opens their doors to the Carr-Harris Cup game every season to Queen's and RMC, and the K-Rock will host Army vs. RMC in January.

jayme2017

Nov 8, 2013
Can barely get 50 people to their games in a 3,000 seat arena they call home.

It's the same reason the OJHL's Kingston Voyageurs don't play at the K-Rock Centre, the Frontenacs want to be the only hockey team in the building. The Vees applied to host the RBC Cup at the K-Rock, and even when the Frontenacs were horrid, the owner of the Frontenacs wanted to keep those dates open for the East Conference Final or the OHL final.

K-Rock opens their doors to the Carr-Harris Cup game every season to Queen's and RMC, and the K-Rock will host Army vs. RMC in January.

I get that but if there looking for more dates and can get a could lease deal it might be a chance for the rink to make some more money.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
I've seen Queen's play Western twice this year. They are a tight-checking team and have a solid goalie in Kevin Baillie - all of their games this year have been close. They are very opportunistic - not especially strong offensively, but solid defensively. It's getting to the point where it's hard to ignore that they've gone 15 regulation games without a loss. At the same time, they have not played McGill, UQTR or Carleton in the regular season, so the second half will tell a lot about this team. But, they beat Windsor twice and beat Ottawa the other night, who may be the best team in the East this year.

I haven't seen Lakehead play this year, but am not sold on them yet. They have had an exceptionally light schedule during the first half, plus they lost two games to UOIT. But you have to win your games against lesser competition, and they’ve mostly done that so far, so kudos to them. Because they play doubleheaders each weekend, the luck of the draw has them missing McGill, UQTR, and Carleton in crossovers this year. Still, they will face much stiffer competition after the holidays so we'll see if their record is for real. Kind of the same situation as Queen's, although I'd say Queen's has had a tougher first-half schedule.

The biggest surprise in the OUA West this year - to me, anyway - is Waterloo. I thought after their late run last year and fairly low player turnover, they'd take the division. But they are middle of the pack.

I do not see any dominant team in the OUA this year. There are probably somewhere between 8-10 teams that could end up as champions, and then get squashed at the University Cup. My guess is that McGill finishes first in the East, but would not be surprised if it's Ottawa. I think Windsor will take the West. But I think anything can and probably will happen in the playoffs.

I don't know about others, but I'm thrilled that we don't see UNB, McGill/UQTR, Western and Alberta as the division leaders at the break this year - it's been these 5 teams for what seems like forever and it's nice to see so many new faces.

Couldn't agree more - OUA is totally up for grabs. And unfortunately, records don't tell the whole story (as they never do). Your Waterloo point is valid - they haven't played as well as they'd wanted to, but consider this - 5 of their 7 reg losses have been on the road thus far, and the combined home record of those 5 opponents are 34-5-1. Toronto has beaten Waterloo, Western, and Ottawa, but lost to Brock, Concordia, and Laurentian. And Lakehead, as mentioned, has benefited from a pretty nice sched - their 11 wins have come against only 6 teams, with a combined record of 28-54-8. Their second half should tell us more - two against each of Windsor, Waterloo, Western, Toronto, Ryerson, Brock and Ottawa.

Pretty solid assessment that 8-10 teams could be in Sasky in March. With the exception of maybe the 6-8 seeds in the east division, any team can get hot and make a run come playoff time. I wonder if the close-game experience might serve OUA teams well in the nationals though. Also, a hot goalie can end a season at that tournament - ask Alberta.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
At the Half

At this stage - I think we can saftely say that Acadia/UNB are the teams to beat in the AUS and Calgary/AB are the teams in the CW - too bad neither conference has a wild-card - there will be some pretty good teams not going to Nationals.

The OUA on the other hand is crap-shoot to pick. There are no real clear cut leaders - both sides have 4-5 teams within 4pts of each other, so one bad weekend and you could drop from 1st to 4th. With the OUA getting the wild-card, someone will get a second change.

If the trends continue - the CW winner will be ranked 1st leaving the Queen's Cup and AUS Champions with USask in the night pool. The CW winner will get the Queen's Cup Runner-up and OUA Wild-card. On paper you would expect a CW/AUS finals, but that didn't workout last year. (Any news on if the Tournament Format will change? There were rumors that it would start on Tue/Wed/Thu with Friday off and Semi's on Sat with the final on Sun)

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
At this stage - I think we can saftely say that Acadia/UNB are the teams to beat in the AUS and Calgary/AB are the teams in the CW - too bad neither conference has a wild-card - there will be some pretty good teams not going to Nationals.

The OUA on the other hand is crap-shoot to pick. There are no real clear cut leaders - both sides have 4-5 teams within 4pts of each other, so one bad weekend and you could drop from 1st to 4th. With the OUA getting the wild-card, someone will get a second change.

If the trends continue - the CW winner will be ranked 1st leaving the Queen's Cup and AUS Champions with USask in the night pool. The CW winner will get the Queen's Cup Runner-up and OUA Wild-card. On paper you would expect a CW/AUS finals, but that didn't workout last year. (Any news on if the Tournament Format will change? There were rumors that it would start on Tue/Wed/Thu with Friday off and Semi's on Sat with the final on Sun)

The tournament format is NOT changing for 2014. The tournament goes from March 20-23.

http://huskies.usask.ca/universitycup/tickets.php

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
I get that but if there looking for more dates and can get a could lease deal it might be a chance for the rink to make some more money.

K-Rock wouldn't make any money if Queen's was playing there cause it would be the same people (family and friends) going to the games. That's why there are concerts and bigger events at the K-Rock. University hockey is not big in Kingston.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
One change ... If you check the schedule, Saskatchewan will play Friday and Saturday, so they can pre-sell these games.

That is not a format change. The host could always choose to start Thursday or Friday and this year I guess Friday is the choice. Did hey formally announce their choice?

bigfanpuck

Dec 4, 2013
Will be interesting to see if someone emerges in the top team OUA east in the second half.
-queens has a tough schedule for the second half having mcgill, UQTR and carleton twice each. Will be the true test for this good defensive team and their Star goaltender Bailie to see if they are for real but i see them slipping a bit.

Mcgill i think is the team to beat, with a good one two punch in goal with chouinard and flemming to go with a team that can score from every position as theyre leading scorer is defencmen Mickernan.

UQTR has solid goaltending in gelinas and has a home rink that is a very tough place to play in. To go along with a lite schedule compared to some of the other teams, i see them challenging mcgill for first.

Ottawa U i see slipping in the standings. They are a team that has little depth and are an injury away from disaster. I also dont believe they have the goaltending that mcgill and UQTR have to make a run for the top 2.

Finally, Carleton is a very offencively skilled team that i believe is under achieving. Goaltending seems to have been the problem in the first half for them but they seem to have found a solution in Dupuis. Will be interesting to see if he is the answer for carleton to move up in the standings.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
Ottawa U i see slipping in the standings. They are a team that has little depth and are an injury away from disaster. I also dont believe they have the goaltending that mcgill and UQTR have to make a run for the top 2.

GeeGee's had injury problems last season so hopefully the curse will skip a year. This season's top point getters Blunden and Touchette both missed half last season with injuries. Captain Blaine a top point scorer in the league the previous season missed 8 games as did Abbott last season's starting goalkeeper. Rookie all-star Kyle Ireland didn't make it out of training camp before having to retire due to persistent shoulder problems. They are due for a good season without serious injuries.

clear the track

Jun 1, 2008
What?

Will be interesting to see if someone emerges in the top team OUA east in the second half.
-queens has a tough schedule for the second half having mcgill, UQTR and carleton twice each. Will be the true test for this good defensive team and their Star goaltender Bailie to see if they are for real but i see them slipping a bit.

Mcgill i think is the team to beat, with a good one two punch in goal with chouinard and flemming to go with a team that can score from every position as theyre leading scorer is defencmen Mickernan.

UQTR has solid goaltending in gelinas and has a home rink that is a very tough place to play in. To go along with a lite schedule compared to some of the other teams, i see them challenging mcgill for first.

Finally, Carleton is a very offencively skilled team that i believe is under achieving. Goaltending seems to have been the problem in the first half for them but they seem to have found a solution in Dupuis. Will be interesting to see if he is the answer for carleton to move up in the standings.

19 of a possible 20 points in the last 10 games and u Ottawa is slipping in the standings? Ottawa has great depth and scoring through four lines. Do they have the talent to upset McGill? Probably not. Their goaltending is not strong on paper but has yet to let them down.

Surprised at Carleton. On paper they should be running away with the conferece. Not sure what the problem is. A team that plays as individuals could be the reason. Evidence........

Queens obviously the Big Surprise. they are a very patient and disciplined team. Not half the talent Carleton has. As you say they have a tougher schedule the second half of the season.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
UQTR just added ECHLer Guillaume Asselin. He's had an almost point per game career in 331 matches in the Q. He'll join the team on january 1st.

Which means Marc-Etienne Hubert will have a brand new all-qmjhl players line to count on next year. Big plus. And we're being told there's another ECHLer on the way to Trois-Rivières.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-nouvellis...ne=cyberpresse_B9_sports_1633428_section_POS2

Last edited:

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Indeed, Lefebvre will be joining UQTR after XMas.

This is going to be a very different Patriotes team. As much as Asselin is a great asset, Lefebvre is exactly what the doctor ordered, as they were without a quaterback since the departure of Pierre-Luc Lessard.

Suddenly, with the arrival of those two, plus Yannick Dubé, and Tommy Giroux finally being healty, UQTR have gone from a damage control situation to real contenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad