2013-2014 CIS Regular Season Thread

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
On tuesday, laurier held their first annual school daay game against waterloo. With local schools involved, there were about 2800 in attendance. I cannot seem to post the exact link, but it is worth a look just to look at the boxscore. With 27 on their roster, it was almost unbelievable how few players laurier had dressed. I kept hitting refresh thinking my computer was not fully loading.

http://www.oua.ca/sport_schedules.aspx?path=mhockey&

Click on tuesdays game.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
On tuesday, laurier held their first annual school daay game against waterloo. With local schools involved, there were about 2800 in attendance. I cannot seem to post the exact link, but it is worth a look just to look at the boxscore. With 27 on their roster, it was almost unbelievable how few players laurier had dressed. I kept hitting refresh thinking my computer was not fully loading.

http://www.oua.ca/sport_schedules.aspx?path=mhockey&

Click on tuesdays game.

Could be a combination of injuries and players actually attending classes. Afternoon game on a Tuesday? Bad idea.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Could be a combination of injuries and players actually attending classes. Afternoon game on a Tuesday? Bad idea.

I think the game actually started at 10:30 or 11 in the morning, so it could be a combination of some players being in class and some still being in bed.

With Laurier's two wins this week, they continue to bring up the rear in the OUA West, but now have 20 points. With U of T sinking like a stone in the second half, they still have an outside shot at a playoff spot, but they'll probably need to win out and still get some help. It's beginning to look very likely that the two teams who miss the playoffs in the OUA West will have more points than 3 of the teams that make it in the OUA East. Way more balance in the West division than in the East.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I think the game actually started at 10:30 or 11 in the morning, so it could be a combination of some players being in class and some still being in bed.

With Laurier's two wins this week, they continue to bring up the rear in the OUA West, but now have 20 points. With U of T sinking like a stone in the second half, they still have an outside shot at a playoff spot, but they'll probably need to win out and still get some help. It's beginning to look very likely that the two teams who miss the playoffs in the OUA West will have more points than 3 of the teams that make it in the OUA East. Way more balance in the West division than in the East.

It is also possible that the OUA East will have both the top 5 and the bottom 5 teams in the entire OUA.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
It is also possible that the OUA East will have both the top 5 and the bottom 5 teams in the entire OUA.

If Ottawa sweeps Lakehead this weekend that very well could happen. I would not be surprised to see Western break away from the pack over the next three weeks. Ever since they gave up that goal with .6 seconds to go and lost to Laurier three weeks ago, they've been different from the team that had been sleep walking all year. It seems to have been the kick in the pants they needed. I think the rest of the teams in the OUA West will keep beating each other up. Watch Brock.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto

These are the highlights from the game. While I initially also thought players could be in class, I knew Laurier played Thursday night against York, so I was curious to see their number of dressed players for that game. They dressed one additional player, for 14 skaters total (5 D, 9 F). It makes me wonder how a roster of 27 can only dress 14, and how teams in the AUS are making it work with their league imposed cap.

Currently Laurier and Waterloo are in a spot to miss the playoffs. Waterloo still is an enigma to me. After their UCup appearance last year, they had likely the best offseason of any OUA West team, bringing in quality defencemen like Hanes and Silas, an experienced goaltender like Morrison, and a great forward in Chappell to complement Behenna and Larson. I had thought they would have been the class of the OUA West, not a potential playoff missing team.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Alberta is up 8-0 over Lethbridge after the 1st period...they scored 7 goals in about 8 minutes in the 2nd half of the period. *facepalm*

5 minutes into the 3rd...Alberta has 12 goals, Lethbridge has 9 shots.

Big comeback for Saskatchewan tonight to hand Calgary their first regulation loss. The Huskies are in real good shape for 3rd now...5 points up.

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
Probably 80 shots for acadia on the clock...as soon as the puck gets near the visitor's goalie the shot clock operator just holds the button down.

The top 10 should be really interesting next week. Does Calgary fall for losing? Hard to raise Alberta given that Calgry has already beaten them twice? Does UNB get more first place votes? They aren't blowing teams out, but they have won 8 in row in a division where you can't take night off.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
RMC was down 3-1 with about 4 minutes left to Nipissing. The Paladins' John Livingston got it to 3-2 with about 2:20 left in the game. The Laker's Deon takes a holding penalty while trying to defend RMC's next rush and net drive. Coach Shell pulls Evan Deviller for the 6 on 4 power play and Eric Louis-Seize would tie it with 1:11 remaining. Then in overtime, Jake Bullen would take a Livingston pass on a 2 on 1 and would score to give RMC a 4-3 come from behind OT win, as well beating Nipissing for the first time in school history.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Probably 80 shots for acadia on the clock...as soon as the puck gets near the visitor's goalie the shot clock operator just holds the button down.

The top 10 should be really interesting next week. Does Calgary fall for losing? Hard to raise Alberta given that Calgry has already beaten them twice? Does UNB get more first place votes? They aren't blowing teams out, but they have won 8 in row in a division where you can't take night off.

Obviously, it's easier to run up a good record when you compare both league's, top teams are similar, but a big difference in parity when you look at all teams combined. Alberta and Calgary don't have that record in the AUS, UNB and Acadia would have a slightly better record, if playing in the West.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Saskatchewan up 10-1 over Calgary in the 3rd...former STU Tommie Kenton Dulle with 4 goals thus far (3rd guy so far this weekend to do it)...I don't think the Dinos will be #1 after this weekend.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Alberta up 10-1 over Lethbridge in the third period. Lethbridge has got to be the most pathetic team I have ever seen at the CIS level!!!!!
13 goals allowed on Friday night, what a f......... Joke!

Rankings should be:
Alberta
UNB
Calgary
Acadia

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
Alberta up 10-1 over Lethbridge in the third period. Lethbridge has got to be the most pathetic team I have ever seen at the CIS level!!!!!
13 goals allowed on Friday night, what a f......... Joke!

Rankings should be:
Alberta
UNB
Calgary
Acadia
It will be very close, but I think UNB will get the nod over Alberta for #1. I wonder how fair Sask climbs; holy impressive weekend!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I think it will be Alberta/Calgary/UNB, but the vote totals will tighten up considerably...Alberta dominated both of their games so no reason to move UNB ahead of them and I can't see Calgary losing enough first place votes/points because of one bad weekend (against a good team on the road) to fall to 3rd.

chlfan99

Aug 10, 2010
Heading down the final stretch to the playoffs, thought it would be interesting to see the records of the top 4 teams in each division against eachother.

OUA west:
Western: 4-1-0 with one game left vs. lakehead
Lakehead: 2-3-0 with one game left vs. western
Ryerson: 2-3-0 with one game left vs. windsor
Windsor: 2-3-0 with one game left vs. ryerson

So in the west, western shows why they are in first and the next 3 teams follow the theme of the west in the form of everybody being even and anyone's game. Safe to say that playoffs will be very intresting on the west side from the first round.

OUA east:
UQTR: 2-1-0 with Carleton and Queens x2 left to play
Mcgill: 3-3-0
Carleton: 4-1-0 with one game vs. UQTR left
Queens: 0-4-0 with 2 games vs. UQTR

In the East, Carleton has the best record which makes theyr game against UQTR this week very intresting and seem to be threat for 2nd place, UQTR has 3 games left but with queens being pretenders, i see UQTR winning both those games. Mcgill will need to find some concistency when playing the better teams to get anywhere in playoffs.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Heading down the final stretch to the playoffs, thought it would be interesting to see the records of the top 4 teams in each division against eachother.

OUA west:
Western: 4-1-0 with one game left vs. lakehead
Lakehead: 2-3-0 with one game left vs. western
Ryerson: 2-3-0 with one game left vs. windsor
Windsor: 2-3-0 with one game left vs. ryerson

So in the west, western shows why they are in first and the next 3 teams follow the theme of the west in the form of everybody being even and anyone's game. Safe to say that playoffs will be very intresting on the west side from the first round.

OUA east:
UQTR: 2-1-0 with Carleton and Queens x2 left to play
Mcgill: 3-3-0
Carleton: 4-1-0 with one game vs. UQTR left
Queens: 0-4-0 with 2 games vs. UQTR

In the East, Carleton has the best record which makes theyr game against UQTR this week very intresting and seem to be threat for 2nd place, UQTR has 3 games left but with queens being pretenders, i see UQTR winning both those games. Mcgill will need to find some concistency when playing the better teams to get anywhere in playoffs.

UQTR is playing fantastic hockey and in my opinion has to be the favourite to take not only the OUA East, but also the conference.

The OUA West is a lot like it was last year - Western is playing marginally better than the other teams in the pack (although they had and UGLY OT loss against Guelph last weekend), but come playoff time I think we could easily see a team down the standings come out take the division like Waterloo did out of the 6 spot last year. If you are looking for that kind of sleeper, it might be Brock. Regardless of who wins, I think the OUA East winner will take them.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
If UQTR can develop a more disciplined game coming down the stretch the OUA could have another national champion. Without a doubt they have the best goalkeeping tandem in the country. They bring a very balanced offensive attack and a shutdown defense. Specialty teams are excellent. The downside is a tendency to let emotions lead to unnecessary penalties that destroy their game flow and momentum. I've watched games where they seem to shift gears just long enough to get a lead then coast on it and the final score just compliments their opponents.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
RMC defeated Queen's 2-1 when Kyle Phillips scored with 2:30 remaining in the game to take the 28th Annual Carr-Harris Cup back to RMC. First time since 2006. Evan Deviller was phenominal in goal, saving an unreal 52 of 53 saves in the victory. RMC moves 4 points back of Nipissing with 3 games to go with a HUGE game against the Lakers on saturday in North Bay.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
RMC defeated Queen's 2-1 when Kyle Phillips scored with 2:30 remaining in the game to take the 28th Annual Carr-Harris Cup back to RMC. First time since 2006. Evan Deviller was phenominal in goal, saving an unreal 52 of 53 saves in the victory. RMC moves 4 points back of Nipissing with 3 games to go with a HUGE game against the Lakers on saturday in North Bay.

bravo, well done RMC.:handclap:

thook

Jan 9, 2010

That's great! Always love an underdog story. I would love to see RMC make the playoffs! Huge win!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad