2013-2014 CIS Regular Season Thread

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Indeed, Lefebvre will be joining UQTR after XMas.

This is going to be a very different Patriotes team. As much as Asselin is a great asset, Lefebvre is exactly what the doctor ordered, as they were without a quaterback since the departure of Pierre-Luc Lessard.

Suddenly, with the arrival of those two, plus Yannick Dubé, and Tommy Giroux finally being healty, UQTR have gone from a damage control situation to real contenders.

Absolutely. With three teams from the OUA this year they almost look like a lock now to be in Saskatoon.

P.S - What does DEC stand for?

Last edited:

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Absolutely. With three teams from the OUA this year they almost look like a lock now to be in Saskatoon.

P.S - What does DEC stand for?

In Quebec, we have an educational stage between high school and university called Cégep. Young adults usually stay there for at least two years, maybe three years depending their field of study... altough Cegep has become a place where lost spirits tend to spend many years wondering what to do with their lives between two student union meetings.

A DEC is a Cegep diploma.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
In Quebec, we have an educational stage between high school and university called Cégep. Young adults usually stay there for at least two years, maybe three years depending their field of study... altough Cegep has become a place where lost spirits tend to spend many years wondering what to do with their lives between two student union meetings.

A DEC is a Cegep diploma.

. . . . sounds similar to "Special Ed."!!!:laugh:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
That is not a format change. The host could always choose to start Thursday or Friday and this year I guess Friday is the choice. Did hey formally announce their choice?

I agree. Hosts have always had the option of starting Thursday or Friday and I thought at the time Saskatchewan made a big mistake in March opting to play Thursday when they weren't the Canada West winner - meaning they'd have to play a top seed. That of course ended up being UNB and we all know how that went.

I've always believed that unless you can practically guarantee a win on Thursday it is big mistake to open then; if you lose you play again Friday and not Saturday and that can kill your walk-up ticket sales. Plus you miss out being in one of the TV games on Saturday.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I agree. Hosts have always had the option of starting Thursday or Friday and I thought at the time Saskatchewan made a big mistake in March opting to play Thursday when they weren't the Canada West winner - meaning they'd have to play a top seed. That of course ended up being UNB and we all know how that went.

I've always believed that unless you can practically guarantee a win on Thursday it is big mistake to open then; if you lose you play again Friday and not Saturday and that can kill your walk-up ticket sales. Plus you miss out being in one of the TV games on Saturday.

When does the host have to choose? I thought it was much closer to the event. If Sask won the CW title I could see them choosing Thursday. If not, I would recommend they choose Friday.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
When does the host have to choose? I thought it was much closer to the event. If Sask won the CW title I could see them choosing Thursday. If not, I would recommend they choose Friday.

Not sure when exactly, but I agree it is usually much closer to the event. But it sounds like Sask wants to pre-sell tickets now. Back when UNB was hosting they just sold packages with Game 1, Game 2, etc. and they didn't officially decide/announce when the V-Reds were playing (even though it was generally assumed it'd be Thursday) until closer. Even though the coach definitely wanted to play Thursday, the organizing committee wanted to be first certain that they sold enough ticket packages that they wouldn't be a victim of walk-up no-sales in case UNB lost their opening game.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
The first half draws to a later than usual end tonight with Western beating Windsor 5-2 in the outdoor game at Comerica Park in Detroit. Big logjam at the top of the OUA West with 5 teams 2 points apart.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
The first half draws to a later than usual end tonight with Western beating Windsor 5-2 in the outdoor game at Comerica Park in Detroit. Big logjam at the top of the OUA West with 5 teams 2 points apart.

There's more depth at the top of the East division than in previous years, but the OUA West still looks like the most parity-rich division in the country - 7 points separate 1st and 9th in the OUA West, while the gap in the east is 17 points from first to 8th.

Unless something changes rapidly in Jan/Feb, it looks like seeding will once again mean very little for the OUA-W playoffs.

chlfan99

Aug 10, 2010
Huge weekend for Queens this weekend in the OUA east. Gonna be fun to see if they can keep the undefeated in regulation streak up with Carleton and Mcgill rolling into town.
Friday they see Carleton who has looked great so far in the 2nd half with two big wins against Mcgill and Ottawa. This could be a goalie dual as Dupuis and Bailie are 2nd and 3rd in the goalie rankings in the OUA that is if they both start.

Saturday Queens had Mcgill, who has struggled in the 2nd half with 2 losses in 3 games since the break. Chouinard, they're suprise goaltender who was great in the first half seems to be struggling a bit but none the less, Mcgill is in 3rd place in the east for a reason and this should also be a big test for Queens and theyre stellar streak.

Should be a fun weekend!

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
This is the week-end I've been looking for to see what Queen's is made of. If they end up winning those two games (which I doubt), then I'll agree that they're the real thing and are legitimate contenders.

If they end up losing both, then that might mean that they've been a bit lucky so far, especially with their goaltenders doind so great thus far this season.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
Hard to say right now if the Ravens have their mojo back or if they were just stoked to play another Battle for the Capital game against the evil GeeGees. They looked very good, team discipline was obvious unlike a lot of other games this season. GG's have good team speed but the Ravens slowed them down and won most puck battles. Their defensive zone coverage brought back memories of last season when they boxed the opposition to the outside making life easy for their goalkeepers. Let's see if they can keep it up.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
RMC Paladins built up a 4-1 lead after 2 periods with goals from Mathieu Lavallee and Brett Pinder, and Evan Deviller shut the door, saving 50 of 52 shots, as the Paladins won their first game of the season 4-2 over the UOIT Ridgebacks

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
RMC Paladins built up a 4-1 lead after 2 periods with goals from Mathieu Lavallee and Brett Pinder, and Evan Deviller shut the door, saving 50 of 52 shots, as the Paladins won their first game of the season 4-2 over the UOIT Ridgebacks

Great news. It would have been tragic to go the entire season without a win.

I see Carleton beat Queen's 4-1 handing the Gael's their first loss in regulation this season. Let's see if the Ravens pick things up in the second half.

According to the CIS main page Calgary beat Lethbridge 14-2. :amazed:
That has to be some sort of record.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

And remarkably, the game was scoreless for the first 11 minutes of the game. Calgary had 2 goals in 12 seconds in the 1st period, 2 goals in 5 (?!) seconds in the 2nd period, and 2 goals in 44 seconds in the 3rd.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Great news. It would have been tragic to go the entire season without a win.

I see Carleton beat Queen's 4-1 handing the Gael's their first loss in regulation this season. Let's see if the Ravens pick things up in the second half.

Back in the early 90's Laurier put up 20+ goals against RMC. I believe it was 21-2 or 20-1, but either way that may be the record.

chlfan99

Aug 10, 2010
Queens goes 0-2-0 in their biggest weekend of the season, let the talking begin, pretenders or just a bad weekend? top 4 teams in the east now all within 2 points of eachother, should be a fun race to the finish for 1st!

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Axe men

Queens goes 0-2-0 in their biggest weekend of the season, let the talking begin, pretenders or just a bad weekend? top 4 teams in the east now all within 2 points of eachother, should be a fun race to the finish for 1st!

Acadia beats X last night 2-1 in Antigonish. They continue to find ways to win close hockey games. They have only lost 1 AUS regulation game so far, that's a real accomplishment in this league! They're not only consistant, but have been steadily improving as the season goes along, putting distance between themselves and the competition, including UNB.
Acadia sat out the top line including thier best defenseman in a recent exhibition game against Guelph, after 4 of those players helped the AUS capture gold at the World University Games.
I can see Acadia hosting the AUS final this year against ???
For UNB, they have a number of new recruits that are still finding their groove, but they must find another gear in the second half to stand any chance at catching the Axemen.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Not much in the way of upsets tonight...the favourites pretty much won in all of the OUA and AUS games. Nipissing over Ottawa was probably really the only game in which the underdog won.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Queen's going 0-3 versus Carleton and McGill. But those weren't blowouts, especially against the Redmen.

My take: they'll live and die with their goaltender Kevin Bailie. They've got an good team, but he's been their bread and butter.

I still think they'll end up in 4th place behind McGill, UQTR and Carleton, but they are a threat.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
UBC men's hockey now on life support. They were not listed as one of the first 16 varsity teams that will continue to receive funding beyond 2015. Women's hockey, however, was included.

Men's hockey will now have to go through stage two of funding applications. UBC expected to only fund five or six more varsity teams.

Last edited:

chlfan99

Aug 10, 2010
Rankings

First off, I dont understand how Mcgill (5th) is ranked higher than UQTR (6th) and Carleton (7th) in the rankings that came out today. Mcgill beat UQTR in 2nd week of the season back in october, but since then have gone 0-3-0 against Carleton (0-2) and UQTR (0-1) but they are somehow still in front of them in the 5th spot.
Secondly, i do not think that Queens is a top 10 team... Alot of teams are better then them in the country, queens just has one of the better goalies in the OUA and a good defensive system.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
I was thinking the same thing about Lakehead. Western, Ryerson and Lakehead have similar records. Lakehead has a creampuff schedule and has feasted on the weaker teams all year. Over the past 2 weeks, Western soundly beats Lakehead, then beats Ryerson. Ryerson then loses a one goal game at Lakehead before pounding Lakehead 7-1 the next night. Western gets 4 votes (which I don't have a problem with because I don't think they're a top 10 team), but how does Lakehead then get ranked 9th? Too many OUA teams in the top 10 in my opinion.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I was thinking the same thing about Lakehead. Western, Ryerson and Lakehead have similar records. Lakehead has a creampuff schedule and has feasted on the weaker teams all year. Over the past 2 weeks, Western soundly beats Lakehead, then beats Ryerson. Ryerson then loses a one goal game at Lakehead before pounding Lakehead 7-1 the next night. Western gets 4 votes (which I don't have a problem with because I don't think they're a top 10 team), but how does Lakehead then get ranked 9th? Too many OUA teams in the top 10 in my opinion.

I considered these factors. I have no Ontario teams in the top 6. Not that the OUA is at all week, it is just that they have a large group of teams with modestly above average record.

In the OUA East, I have UQTR 7th, McGill 9th, Carleton 10th, and Queen's 14th. In the OUA West Ryerson is 8th, Western Ontario 15th, Windsor 18th, and Lakehead 19th.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=78438069&postcount=22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad