2013-14 Training Camp

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Foligno isnt likely to go on the IR...so he still will count as a roster spot.

I said Foligno will likely start in the opener.

They will not go with 9 Dmen for the season.

That's what I already posted

I do see them giving Zadarov some exposure to full NHL play for a couple games with the full intnet of sending him back. At least give him some exposure so he understands what the true NHL level play is like.

Why?

You could also send Foligno down to Rochester and give Zadarov a couple game exposure if they feel Foligno wont be available until game #4. Not long enough for IR.

If they need the extra forward they could shift McBain to RW

Again why would they bother with this level of manuvering just to get Zads a handful of games? That makes no sense. There is no urgent need to do this.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Again why would they bother with this level of manuvering just to get Zads a handful of games? That makes no sense. There is no urgent need to do this.

I agree, at this point its not worth it.

As much as i want to see girgs play, I think he should go to Rochester.

I think it all depends on the organizations goals. Whether they want to ice their best team or whether they are following through with the big rebuild.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
So we are now down to 27 with Armia on IR. 4 more to go.

Adam and Zads for sure. Then its 2 of Porter, Flynn, Girgs, Sulzer.

EDIT: I'm guessing Flynn and Girgs since they don't need to pass through waivers.

Last edited:

AmerksPuck

Nov 3, 2012

EDIT: I'm guessing Flynn and Girgs since they don't need to pass through waivers.

with the Ennis move to center, I am starting to think Larsson may be the odd man out.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm going to wait until Oct. 2nd to assume Ennis will be playing C.

Also...I'm not using pen to write Ristolainen into the starting line-up either. I see next year's starting D-corps as Ehrhoff-Myers, Zadorov-Pysyk, Weber-Ristolainen. If they went that route early and iced that unit Oct. 2nd I wouldn't be too unhappy if they really are ready. I'd just hope that Regier can trade Sulzer and McBain instead of losing them through waivers for nothing, and that Tallinder or Weber don't mind sitting too often or until injury.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'm going to wait until Oct. 2nd to assume Ennis will be playing C.

Also...I'm not using pen to write Ristolainen into the starting line-up either. I see next year's starting D-corps as Ehrhoff-Myers, Zadorov-Pysyk, Weber-Ristolainen. If they went that route early and iced that unit Oct. 2nd I wouldn't be too unhappy if they really are ready. I'd just hope that Regier can trade Sulzer and McBain instead of losing them through waivers for nothing, and that Tallinder or Weber don't mind sitting too often or until injury.

Sulzer is relatively safe to move through waivers. He was for a ferw days a UFA before he was signed by Buffalo. A team could have signed him but didn't. I highly highly doubt he gets through waivers.

McBain---some teams would take a shot and claim him.

They could also send Risto down to rochester to start so they give Zadarov the try out. then call up risto when Zad is sent back

Porter went through waivers last year and likely could make it through again. If they want to give Larsson a serious lookthen they do this and have Porter as a back up, then keep MCormick on the team because he provides more toughness.

McCorm

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

Sulzer is a no-brainer...no value to me

Then it's one of the other three... and I think it'll be Girgs, but he won't be down there very long.

There's ZERO need for Sulzer on this team, sorry.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
So when can we trade Stafford. I'd rather have a bag of pucks

As I posted in the Captain thread, your railing on Stafford is getting a tad over the top. By no means has he played all that great this preseason, but he has two primary assists in his last two games--and would've had three had Girgs finished his pass on the OT 2-on-1 in the home TOR game. Both Pysyk and Grigs praised him in postgame interviews for the plays he made on their goals. Rolston frequently goes out of his way to commend him on his leadership with the young guys.

It's fine if you don't like him as a player or think he's a chronic underachiever. But going out of your way to complain about almost every little thing he does or doesn't do is getting rather tired.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
As I posted in the Captain thread, your railing on Stafford is getting a tad over the top. By no means has he played all that great this preseason, but he has two primary assists in his last two games--and would've had three had Girgs finished his pass on the OT 2-on-1 in the home TOR game. Both Pysyk and Grigs praised him in postgame interviews for the plays he made on their goals. Rolston frequently goes out of his way to commend him on his leadership with the young guys.

It's fine if you don't like him as a player or think he's a chronic underachiever. But going out of your way to complain about almost every little thing he does or doesn't do is getting rather tired.

Lol. He made two little passes that even I could make. That doesn't give him a pass in my book. He's been average at best this pre-season, and that's been his mantra his entire career. Average at best.

What else are they going to say about Stafford? "Yeah Staff's pass was sick, but quite frankly my 80 year old grandma could've made that pass."

I think I've been pretty fair with the criticisms during the pre-season, and I've been watching Stafford for a long time, and seeing the continued mediocrity from him frankly makes me sick now. So forgive me for voicing my displeasure. Oh, in the Captain's thread I was saying don't give Stafford an 'A', god if he was even in consideration for a 'C', I think I'd just not watch the Sabres this year as seeing a 'C' on his jersey would make me nauseous.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

I agree with everything you said. Equally I think it's odd that you come to Staffords defense, more than any other poster. It seems almost every negative post about Drew is accompanied with a defensive post. It's odd. I want Drew off this team going on 3 years now. I guess the difference is I don't take a shot at him after every freakin game :laugh:

On the topic of Stafford, Stop Winnin likes to repeat himself apparently. :dunno:

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
I agree with everything you said. Equally I think it's odd that you come to Staffords defense, more than any other poster. It seems almost every negative post about Drew is accompanied with a defensive post. It's odd. I want Drew off this team going on 3 years now. I guess the difference is I don't take a shot at him after every freakin game :laugh:

On the topic of Stafford, Stop Winnin likes to repeat himself apparently. :dunno:

And zzamboni loves complaining about complainers. :dunno:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Stafford is a 20 goal scorer.... not his fault for your misguided expectations.

Do I want him to play better? Yeah.... Does that mean Im on his ass for every little hiccup he has or dismiss any of his positive plays? No.

Give it a rest.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Sulzer is a no-brainer...no value to me

Then it's one of the other three... and I think it'll be Girgs, but he won't be down there very long.

There's ZERO need for Sulzer on this team, sorry.

Agree in full. Nothing against Sulzer, but he's a soft offensive-defenseman who is only decent at offense. At this point I believe they should keep 7 defensemen, with McBain being the #7. If they need more defensemen, they can call up Ruhwedel or McNabb. This allows them to more comfortably scratch forwards and carry young guys they think deserve to make the team.

Regarding Stafford, he's responsible defensively and a strong PKer. I wouldn't mind seeing him gone to free up space for another player but that really makes more sense after this season. I just hope they don't force him in the top 6 if other players are going to be more effective offensively.

Regarding Larsson, it doesn't matter if the top 3 centers are Hodgson, Ennis, and Grigorenko. He should still make the team. He can center the 4th line, which won't last for long. He'll quickly jump up the line-up as a center or winger.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Lol. He made two little passes that even I could make. That doesn't give him a pass in my book. He's been average at best this pre-season, and that's been his mantra his entire career. Average at best.

What else are they going to say about Stafford? "Yeah Staff's pass was sick, but quite frankly my 80 year old grandma could've made that pass."

I think I've been pretty fair with the criticisms during the pre-season, and I've been watching Stafford for a long time, and seeing the continued mediocrity from him frankly makes me sick now. So forgive me for voicing my displeasure. Oh, in the Captain's thread I was saying don't give Stafford an 'A', god if he was even in consideration for a 'C', I think I'd just not watch the Sabres this year as seeing a 'C' on his jersey would make me nauseous.

Evenhanded, as always.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
predictions:

cut/waived
Sulzer - waivers
Adam - waivers
Armia - Rochester
Flynn - Rochester
Girgensons - Rochester

that gets them to 24

Tropp - INJURED
that gets them to 23

Looks like Zadarov will stay... for now

Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Ott-Grigs-Leino
Kaleta-Porter-McCormick
x Scott

Tallinder-Myers
Ehrhoff-Risto
Weber-Pysyk
x McBain, Zadarov

They won't keep Zads up just to sit him in the press box. IF Zadorov stays up, he'll be playing--and I just don't see the space for that right now.

AmerksPuck

Nov 3, 2012
Agree in full. Nothing against Sulzer, but he's a soft offensive-defenseman who is only decent at offense. At this point I believe they should keep 7 defensemen, with McBain being the #7. If they need more defensemen, they can call up Ruhwedel or McNabb. This allows them to more comfortably scratch forwards and carry young guys they think deserve to make the team.

Regarding Stafford, he's responsible defensively and a strong PKer. I wouldn't mind seeing him gone to free up space for another player but that really makes more sense after this season. I just hope they don't force him in the top 6 if other players are going to be more effective offensively.

Regarding Larsson, it doesn't matter if the top 3 centers are Hodgson, Ennis, and Grigorenko. He should still make the team. He can center the 4th line, which won't last for long. He'll quickly jump up the line-up as a center or winger.

the problem is the 4th line already has 2 centers in McCormick and Porter. One of them is already going to have to play wing. I think they would rather have Larsson being the #1 center in Rochester to start the year rather than playing 4th line/being a scratch in Buffalo. I don't see them moving him to wing at this point.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
If giving Zadorov a few games does not hurt the program I say go for it. a side note-would he not get paid an nhl salary per game--a nice little teaser to bust your buns and be up here next year...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad