2013-14 Training Camp

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Hit statistics are strange. I saw Grigorenko hit someone right in front of me last night.

Exactly! In the few games I have been able to see, I've seen Grigorenko hit a few players. I don't know what constitutes a hit with those that keep track :shakehead

His hitting is not thunderous Kaleta style. It's more like an Ennis or Leino style. Just enough to try forcing a turnover or mistake. I'm fine with that.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I think Girgensons has made it very, very difficult for Rolston to cut him.

Ultimately, he'll return to Rochester. And it will be better for his development.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Missed this the other day:

Forward Mike Zigomanis will wear No. 12 with the Amerks.

That’s certainly a sign Kevin Porter isn’t expected to come back down. Teams usually don’t give away numbers worn by bubble players.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
It's realistic. If something comparable happened at your job, a young employee who was clueless gets is shown favoritism, you'd have your resume together the next day. They will respect it if he's good, if not, it's a problem.
That view is not realistic in organizations who grow and develop talent.*

Grig's situation is very much analogous to the training, coaching, and mentoring newly-hired employees receive all the time. Young employees who are perceived to have high asymptotes but do not yet have complete skill sets are often given opportunities to grow and develop "side by side with the big boys". They can't be sent back to college once they've graduated. They already have the book knowledge (analogous to OHL/QMJHL, etc.) but they need to apply it to real-world problems.

Their co-workers in the same work group (=Sabre linemates & teammates) don't update their resumes every time a new employee (Grigs) is hired, even though they know their work productivity (=NHL G-A-Pts totals) may suffer IN THE SHORT TERM because they have to work with a new-hire to aid his/her development.

Their co-workers in other departments (=Rochester lineup) don't update their resume every time a new employee (Grigs) is hired, even though they know that IN THE SHORT TERM they are a capable fill-in for that assignment, whether due to skill or experience.

If the new-hire employee doesn't work out, he/she is moved to another department (= not an option for Grigs until next season), or separated from the company (=traded).

*In a seniority-based system that view would have merit, and a grievance would be filed.

It won't be the first time a first round pick is a bust, happens all the time. He's not a bust yet but I guarantee you Darcy Regier and the rest of them are considering that possibility though they'd never admit it, they've seen many busts before and know the signs.

We needed a big potential #1 center, there he was, kid who only months earlier had been ranked #4 draft prospect in the world, dropping down to us at #12, who knows how much farther he'd have dropped if we didn't grab him. With his stats and the scouts all gushing about his talent I was happy with the pick. All the doubts I had read about him were about his work ethic and poor performance in the playoffs and many defended him pointing out that he had had mononucleosis.

What I want to know is how the best scouts in the game didn't find much fault with his skating and his strength, in football parlance, his 'measureables'.

Did he not come to the Sabres draft combine?

If he doesn't show improvement then he doesn't deserve much playing time, the worst that happens it's a wasted season for him but nowhere near as big a waste as playing in the Q again would be.
He will either stew or work his ass off to gain strength and when he does get into the lineup do something besides wave his stick and glide around. Next season he can go to Rochester.

This has got to be very tough on him, he's been the best at every level he's been at and here he is looking pretty lost - he probably doesn't even understand how this is happening to him, he's sure he's giving it his best. Very easy to lose your confidence and once it's gone it can be your end. He might not have the will.
Good post. Some speculation there at the end, but reasonable & empathetic. I see no reason for BUF to give up on Grigs after 26 games of a 48-game lockout shortened season, nor even after this season.

Aye that friend.

Lets gush over our stable of Stallion-like defensemen.
Regretably, I immediately thought of Rob Paxon's "erection" comment regarding Colton Orr's desire for fisticuffs from the Scott-Kessel post-game discussions in the BUF-TOR GDT thread. Oy! :shakehead

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
One thing I have noticed about grigs... I haven't been able to watch a lot of full games this preseason but I've watched the game highlights, and I've noticed on more than one occasion that I really like how grigs handles himself in the goal celebrations when he's on the ice, especially when its the younger guys on the ice with him. He's not just joining in on the celebrations, he's leading them. He's in the center of the scrum congratulating everyone, punching guys on the shoulder saying good pass or good shot or whatever they say in there. He's really looking like a leader out there in that regard, and that is really good to see and something that kinda contradicts the impression that his play seems to be giving, that he lacks drive or intensity or is intimidated or lost or whatever.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Roster is currently at 29 and needs to be set at no more than 23 on Monday.

predictions:

cut/waived
Sulzer - waivers
Adam - waivers
Armia - Rochester
Flynn - Rochester
Girgensons - Rochester

that gets them to 24

Tropp - INJURED
that gets them to 23

Looks like Zadarov will stay... for now

Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Ott-Grigs-Leino
Kaleta-Porter-McCormick
x Scott

Tallinder-Myers
Ehrhoff-Risto
Weber-Pysyk
x McBain, Zadarov

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
predictions:

cut/waived
Sulzer - waivers
Adam - waivers
Armia - Rochester
Flynn - Rochester
Girgensons - Rochester

that gets them to 24

Tropp - INJURED
that gets them to 23

Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Ott-Grigs-Leino
Kaleta-Porter-McCormick
x Scott

Tallinder-Myers
Ehrhoff-Risto
Weber-Pysyk
x McBain, Zadarov

I'd say Flynn stays up and Zado goes back to Juniors, other then that I agree.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Also, teams need to be cap compliant on Monday.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 3h
Key moment in the week could be Sunday, last day to put guys on waivers before Monday's deadline to be cap compliant for opening day...

Interesting:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 3h
Technically speaking, told that Leafs could be cap compliant on opening night without a trade but it would mean bare bones roster (20)...

Just think if Kessel was suspended. Would have screwed them even more.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

2G---no change

9D (7D)

1.Sulzer sent to Rochester (*)
2. Zadarov semt back to JRs (*)
18F (14F)

3. Tropp on IR
4. Armia on IR
5. Adam sent to Rochester
6. 1 of Flynn/Porter/McCormick/Girgensons sent to Rochester
7. 2nd of the above Flynn/Porter/McCormick/Girgensons sent to rochester (*)

Flynn and Girgensons dont have to go through waivers.

(*) it all depends on do they want to go with a 8/13 or 7/14 roster. They could opt to give Zadarov a 5 game NHL exposure before sending him down to OHL. Not likely to keep him up because of contracts but to at least let him taste what an NHL hockey game is like because he likely will make the club next season.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'd say Flynn stays up and Zado goes back to Juniors, other then that I agree.

I think they give Zadarov a few NHL games so he knows what its like before sending him down.

This is where it would be nice if a team could call up a CHL player mid season and play in a few games.

bluengold72

Jul 18, 2013
north tonawanda
predictions:

cut/waived
Sulzer - waivers
Adam - waivers
Armia - Rochester
Flynn - Rochester
Girgensons - Rochester

that gets them to 24

Tropp - INJURED
that gets them to 23

Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Ott-Grigs-Leino
Kaleta-Porter-McCormick
x Scott

Tallinder-Myers
Ehrhoff-Risto
Weber-Pysyk
x McBain, Zadarov

that looks like what the organization very well could do. but in curiosity i'm kinda wondering who you believe are our best forwards on this team right now cause i've got girgenson right with larsson at either 8 or 9 better than grigs, leinno, porter, mccormick, scott, and tropp and i gave stafford a huge benifit of doubt.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
that looks like what the organization very well could do. but in curiosity i'm kinda wondering who you believe are our best forwards on this team right now cause i've got girgenson right with larsson at either 8 or 9 better than grigs, leinno, porter, mccormick, scott, and tropp and i gave stafford a huge benifit of doubt.

it's irrelevant

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don't see Zadorov getting the 9 games. I think he'll be back in juniors by Monday.

Foligno is expected to play the season opener but is still a bit of a question mark. So I don't see us going into the season with 9 dmen and no spare forwards. Nor do I think we will waive guys to facilitate a 9 game "tryout" for a guy that's not staying here. I can see us waiving guys if it was decided some kids were going to be on the full time roster but not for a 9 game stretch. In other words I don't see Zads getting those 9 games.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I don't see Zadorov getting the 9 games. I think he'll be back in juniors by Monday.

Foligno is expected to play the season opener but is still a bit of a question mark. So I don't see us going into the season with 9 dmen and no spare forwards. Nor do I think we will waive guys to facilitate a 9 game "tryout" for a guy that's not staying here. I can see us waiving guys if it was decided some kids were going to be on the full time roster but not for a 9 game stretch. In other words I don't see Zads getting those 9 games.

Agreed - but like I said in a different thread, good on him for making it this long and almost earning the nine games (if he doesn't).

He showed me a lot.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Foligno isnt likely to go on the IR...so he still will count as a roster spot.

They will not go with 9 Dmen for the season.

I do see them giving Zadarov some exposure to full NHL play for a couple games with the full intnet of sending him back. At least give him some exposure so he understands what the true NHL level play is like.

You could also send Foligno down to Rochester and give Zadarov a couple game exposure if they feel Foligno wont be available until game #4. Not long enough for IR.

If they need the extra forward they could shift McBain to RW.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Does Armia have to stay up while hurt ?

broken hand=IR on NHL roster. then when healthy Buffalo will decide then. they could just send him down to Rochester for conditioning purposes.

Because its an injury in a game it has to be covered where it happened....thus he gets paid an the NHL level--not the Rochester level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad