Injury Report: 2013-14 Team Injury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Non playoff team, 4-0 this season against them. Seems like one of the best times you could play Gibson IMO, even with an important 2 points on the line.

He can't be anymore shaky then Hiller has been recently.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
If Andersen is still out tonight, I have no problem starting Gibson. He's not Rob Laurie and we aren't going to ruin his career. Sure, this isn't how I wanted it to play out, but life happens.

I'm not worried about stunting Gibson or anything. He's earned the chance to play a game in the NHL. I'm worried about losing the game because we have a nervous 20 year-old rookie playing his first game that happens to have a lot riding on it. At this point I'm totally done with Hiller so it's a crappy situation any way you slice it.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'm not worried about stunting Gibson or anything. He's earned the chance to play a game in the NHL. I'm worried about losing the game because we have a nervous 20 year-old rookie playing his first game that happens to have a lot riding on it. At this point I'm totally done with Hiller so it's a crappy situation any way you slice it.

Agreed. There's really no right answer. Just guessing but I think Hiller starts. If he lets in two goals that are "shaky", he'll be yanked quickly.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I've got no hangups. Potential or even probable suck is better than almost-guaranteed suck.

I was also never particularly worried about alienating Hiller either.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

That pretty much sums it up. With Hiller's head firmly planted up his butt I just don't think it is a terrible risk to play Gibson tonight.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

If Gibson could step in and play for Team USA during the World Championships, I think he'll be okay in a regular season game.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
If Gibson could step in and play for Team USA during the World Championships, I think he'll be okay in a regular season game.

That is very true. Hey maybe this is his moment to shine. Would be a hell of a debut. Frankly I hope last night was the last time Hiller ever plays goal for this team ever again. I highly doubt it but I'm really at my wits end with him.

Yemeth

Feb 3, 2013
Zagreb
Hiller was really bad, but the team in front of him didn't shine either. If you cannot beat Edmonton where the "defenceman" Schultz is standing by the opposition goal on a one goal lead, then I do not know what you expect to do in the playoffs when you are behind against a structured team. I wish it was all on Hiller, but, IMO, it is much more than that after the Olympic break.

On the other side, much of Hillers "great" winning streak was because the team in front of him rolled over the opposition, so you have it on both sides :) .

I really do not know what Hillers problem is now, seems like a mental thing. The question is, if you bench him now for a rookie, will that mean you crush him and you can really forget about him or does it gives him the kick in the behind to wake him up.

Having said that, I would play a rusty Fasth before Hiller right now (Andersen without question any way, like last year I have more faith in the backup than the starter), I only fear playing a rookie will bury him mentally (but the staff knows him and we need the points, so they will decide what is best for the team and the players).

Force951

Jul 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
The team is really missing Fowler right now imo. The breakouts have been terrible, and there are missed coverages all over the place. The worst part of our power play has been the entries, seems we get 1 clean entry per PP then just spend the rest of it trying to get in again.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Hiller was really bad, but the team in front of him didn't shine either. If you cannot beat Edmonton where the "defenceman" Schultz is standing by the opposition goal on a one goal lead, then I do not know what you expect to do in the playoffs when you are behind against a structured team. I wish it was all on Hiller, but, IMO, it is much more than that after the Olympic break.

On the other side, much of Hillers "great" winning streak was because the team in front of him rolled over the opposition, so you have it on both sides :) .

I really do not know what Hillers problem is now, seems like a mental thing. The question is, if you bench him now for a rookie, will that mean you crush him and you can really forget about him or does it gives him the kick in the behind to wake him up.

Having said that, I would play a rusty Fasth before Hiller right now (Andersen without question any way, like last year I have more faith in the backup than the starter), I only fear playing a rookie will bury him mentally (but the staff knows him and we need the points, so they will decide what is best for the team and the players).
Well I don't put that 3rd goal so much on Hiller. As you said, Schultz was just kind of dicking around at that back post. He actually got there as part of a 3-on-2 rush that seemed kind of ill-advised. Before he scored, I was actually thinking "If they manage to clear it quickly, the Ducks will get a dangerous rush back."

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Well I don't put that 3rd goal so much on Hiller. As you said, Schultz was just kind of dicking around at that back post. He actually got there as part of a 3-on-2 rush that seemed kind of ill-advised. Before he scored, I was actually thinking "If they manage to clear it quickly, the Ducks will get a dangerous rush back."

I do. The D did play really soft in that instance but Hiller had no idea where the puck was and just sat there with the corners completely open. A heads up play by Hiller and no way Schultz scores.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I do. The D did play really soft in that instance but Hiller had no idea where the puck was and just sat there with the corners completely open. A heads up play by Hiller and no way Schultz scores.
Hiller had lost the puck and would have twiddled his thumbs until they scored or a D saved his bacon. He should have been in the process of moving over. So he wasn't doing his job.

However it still happened quickly enough that I don't think many goalies would have been able to recover and either grab the puck or cover the post to block the tap-in. So I don't really blame him.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Not good. I fear for Anaheim if Hiller/Gibson is the tandem in the playoffs.

However, maybe they just want to get practice time in with the 2 goaltenders who are actually dressing tonight?

EDIT: Curtis Zupke ‏@curtiszupke 40s
John Gibson off the ice first for the Ducks. Andersen came on late to do some work.

Eric Stephens ‏@icemancometh 9s
Frederik Andersen jumped on the ice for some work with Ducks goalie coach Dwayne Roloson.

Last edited:

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Not good. I fear for Anaheim if Hiller/Gibson is the tandem in the playoffs.

However, maybe they just want to get practice time in with the 2 goaltenders who are actually dressing tonight?

EDIT: Curtis Zupke ‏@curtiszupke 40s
John Gibson off the ice first for the Ducks. Andersen came on late to do some work.

Eric Stephens ‏@icemancometh 9s
Frederik Andersen jumped on the ice for some work with Ducks goalie coach Dwayne Roloson.

im quite surprised that gibson is getting the nod tonight in such a big game. excited to see it though.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Assuming everybody is healthy, I could still see Fistric in for Allen against grittier teams like LA or Sharks in the playoffs. Not all of them but some.

Not a chance. I like Fistric, don't get me wrong. The guy has greatly exceeded my expectations. But Allen is better. A healthy Fowler and the acquisition of Robidas makes Fistric a spare part again. Sbisa too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad