Injury Report: 2013-14 Team Injury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I totally disagree. If there was any chance that Andersen is out for any considerable time, you need Gibson to be in as much of NHL game shape as you can get him to. Hiller is there regardless, and there's nothing wrong with resting him for the playoffs, as we've allegedly been doing recently already. If there was a chance that Andersen wouldn't be ready for the postseason, you have to prepair Gibson for that situation, and you woudn't want his first NHL game to be in the playoffs. That would have nothing to do with any sort of message to Hiller, it would clearly and only be about getting him rested and a backup into any sort of game shape.

Like you said, that makes the assumption Andersen will be out >1 week though. If he gets in, you'd suspect Vancouver will be the game.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Like you said, that makes the assumption Andersen will be out >1 week though. If he gets in, you'd suspect Vancouver will be the game.

Certainly. If he was out for longer, I'd think Gibson should actually see two of the remaining games, instead of just one. There's no message in that to Hiller. The mssage to him would be we want you to be fresh, and we want your backup to be ready if you get injured. There's nothing ambivalent about that, IMO.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Couldn't find this posted elsewhere, so here it is

Eric Stephens on twitter:

"Outside of having a headache after getting hit by Shea Weber shot, BB said Freddie Andersen should be fine. Held him out due to score."

and

"Andersen is being listed as day-to-day. Ducks are recalling goalie John Gibson and winger Devante Smith-Pelly from AHL Norfolk."

It doesn't sound like something that is going to affect our Frederik

No it doesn't. But I wouldn't buy a used car from the guy who provided that info to ES.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Concussions aren't always so black and white to diagnose. If there is any chance Andersen is not 100% in the next day or two, the team has to be prepared for Gibson to possibly be the backup in the playoffs. That has to require at least a couple of regular season games exposure.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Concussions aren't always so black and white to diagnose. If there is any chance Andersen is not 100% in the next day or two, the team has to be prepared for Gibson to possibly be the backup in the playoffs. That has to require at least a couple of regular season games exposure.

Exactly the way I look at it.

Oct 18, 2011
there is no way hiller should play both games of a b2b. **** it throw gibson out there unless hiller is totally lights out, but based on how he's tracking the puck lately i doubt it'll happen

Papaspud

Vatman
Dec 19, 2008
To the rescue
My question is wtf are these goalies of ours using as foam cushioning in their "fashion" masks.

I bought an old jocelyn Thibault owned mask when he got traded by montreal years ago, and have had 3 of my cage tines bent by a pro player's shot during a summer pick-up game...with no concussion symptoms whatsoever. Why are goalie's skimping on foam/protection in their masks, in lieu of fancy looks?

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I trust our injury reports about as much as I trust Putin to respect the sovereignty of Super Bowl rings or peninsulas.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
I totally disagree. If there was any chance that Andersen is out for any considerable time, you need Gibson to be in as much of NHL game shape as you can get him to. Hiller is there regardless, and there's nothing wrong with resting him for the playoffs, as we've allegedly been doing recently already. If there was a chance that Andersen wouldn't be ready for the postseason, you have to prepair Gibson for that situation, and you woudn't want his first NHL game to be in the playoffs. That would have nothing to do with any sort of message to Hiller, it would clearly and only be about getting him rested and a backup into any sort of game shape.

But we have to get these points right now. Playing Gibson in either of these games is too risky. Andersen isn't badly hurt so we should be worrying about him and Hiller being out in the playoffs. If we had the division wrapped up already I'd say fine, give him a shot. Plus Hiller needs to redeem himself. It would be really stupid to completely alienate him right before the playoffs.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
My question is wtf are these goalies of ours using as foam cushioning in their "fashion" masks.

I bought an old jocelyn Thibault owned mask when he got traded by montreal years ago, and have had 3 of my cage tines bent by a pro player's shot during a summer pick-up game...with no concussion symptoms whatsoever. Why are goalie's skimping on foam/protection in their masks, in lieu of fancy looks?

could be just that you have a strong head :D concussions are finicky things. or you didnt take a shea weber slap slot lol

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
But we have to get these points right now.
That's not true. We'd like to get these points right now. What we have to do is win games in the playoffs.

Playing Gibson in either of these games is too risky.
I disagree. The risk is pretty limited, IMO. He's not a total wild card.

Andersen isn't badly hurt so we should be worrying about him and Hiller being out in the playoffs.
Well, okay, but that's exactly the opposite of the premise I put up. :) I was strictly talking about a scenario where we'd be going into the playoffs with Gibson as the backup due to Andersen's injury for the time being. If we know Andersen is certain to be back for game one (which we didn't at the time I made that statement), that obviously changes the entire thing. Under that premise, I would be entirely with you.

It would be really stupid to completely alienate him right before the playoffs.
Resting your starting goalie and giving a backup 2 out of 5 games in order to get him into any sort of game shape isn't alienating your starter.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
That's not true. We'd like to get these points right now. What we have to do is win games in the playoffs.

I disagree. The risk is pretty limited, IMO. He's not a total wild card.

Well, okay, but that's exactly the opposite of the premise I put up. :) I was strictly talking about a scenario where we'd be going into the playoffs with Gibson as the backup due to Andersen's injury for the time being. If we know Andersen is certain to be back for game one (which we didn't at the time I made that statement), that obviously changes the entire thing. Under that premise, I would be entirely with you.

Resting your starting goalie and giving a backup 2 out of 5 games in order to get him into any sort of game shape isn't alienating your starter.

It would be if it was the game tonight. Hiller HAS to start this one.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

Benching your starter in favor of a completely untested 20 year-old rookie the game after he completely **** the bed absolutely alienates him. He was already rested for three games. Playing Gibson tonight, which he's not, is a big **** you to Hiller.

And yes we do need these points if we want to win the division. This is no time to have our star prospect dip his toe into the water just to see what he can do. In all likelihood, Hiller is going to be the guy to start the playoffs. We need him to get his head in the game and play his best.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Benching your starter in favor of a completely untested 20 year-old rookie the game after he completely **** the bed absolutely alienates him. He was already rested for three games. Playing Gibson tonight, which he's not, is a big **** you to Hiller.
I was never talking about tonight specifically.

And yes we do need these points if we want to win the division. This is no time to have our star prospect dip his toe into the water just to see what he can do. In all likelihood, Hiller is going to be the guy to start the playoffs. We need him to get his head in the game and play his best.
We wouldn't be doing it to "see what he can do". We would do it to improve our chances of winning in the playoffs, which is easily a priority over winning the division, if we need him there. I don't see how or why Hiller playing 3 or 4 games of the last five would make a difference in getting his head into the game or him into game shape. I do know that you if you end up in a situation where you have to rely on your backup all of a sudden, you do not want those to be his first minutes in the league. I don't see the big deal or question about that, really.

It seems like we're looking at different scenarios, anyway. If Andersen's certain to be back soon, it's a different discussion. If he isn't, we want our backup to have played some minutes, because we might need him. I don't buy that one less game down the road somehow is a huge burden on Hiller.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
According to certain Danish media (their source is something called Orange County Register) Frederik Andersen is back on ice on tuesday.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
According to certain Danish media (their source is something called Orange County Register) Frederik Andersen is back on ice on tuesday.

Woo!

Still, Gibson should start tonight imo. Then Freddie is ready to go against the Sharks

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

I guess we finally found someone willing to pay to the OCR pay wall, anyway

I will believe it when I see it though. I simply don't trust the Ducks on injuries.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
I was never talking about tonight specifically.

We wouldn't be doing it to "see what he can do". We would do it to improve our chances of winning in the playoffs, which is easily a priority over winning the division, if we need him there. I don't see how or why Hiller playing 3 or 4 games of the last five would make a difference in getting his head into the game or him into game shape. I do know that you if you end up in a situation where you have to rely on your backup all of a sudden, you do not want those to be his first minutes in the league. I don't see the big deal or question about that, really.

It seems like we're looking at different scenarios, anyway. If Andersen's certain to be back soon, it's a different discussion. If he isn't, we want our backup to have played some minutes, because we might need him. I don't buy that one less game down the road somehow is a huge burden on Hiller.

Gibson isn't going to play in the playoffs, let's just get that out of the way right now. Andersen should be fine and hopefully ready to go against San Jose on Wednesday.

But since Hiller is just playing his way out of a job right now Boudreau is put in a terrible position for tonight's game. On one hand I don't Jonas Hiller anywhere near the net tonight but on the other I'm terrified about putting in a total rookie when we need these two points desperately. If Hiller didn't play so god damn bad last night this is a non-issue.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If Andersen is still out tonight, I have no problem starting Gibson. He's not Rob Laurie and we aren't going to ruin his career. Sure, this isn't how I wanted it to play out, but life happens.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Didn't BB say there is a chance Fowler comes back for the last couple games? Is that still in the cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad