Prospect Info: 2013-14 Prospect Updates: The Start of the Jim Nill Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
They don't base the ranking on how good your prospect pool is. It is how many 21 and unders you have in the nhl and your average draft position.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That seems kind of flawed. A bad team would get rewarded for being bad rather than drafting well. Just look at Buffalo, they rightfully should be leaning towards playing young guys because they're rebuilding. The fact a guy is in the NHL for them doesn't necessarily mean he's a great prospect, it just means that team doesn't have better veterans available like a Boston or Chicago.

Thanks for clearing it up though, THN's rankings always seemed off when I just saw the list in passing.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Carey to Phoenix. Unfortunate but what can you do? He'll get a shot like Miele did.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
John Klingberg.

Is it time to start to get really excited about the kid? Right handed D who might've made the team out of camp if he weren't under contract with a Euro team.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Absolutely. You should already be excited. He's probably the best young defenseman in Sweden. He fits this team's needs to a tee.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Absolutely. You should already be excited. He's probably the best young defenseman in Sweden. He fits this team's needs to a tee.

If that's the case, it probably wouldn't hurt to pickup his brother from the Jets organization. I know Carl has been labeled as a bust-ish kind of player, but I wonder if he could turn it around with a fresh start in Dallas.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Does anyone actually know what kind of impact Klingberg could make next year? I really really really would love to see a whole new defensive core for next year.

Im thinking Klingberg, Nemeth, and possibly Oleksiak moving up next year... with Dillon and Connauton, I think our defense could actually not be totally horrid.

NFKappaB

Mo Money Mo Problems
Jun 29, 2011
Nova Scotia
Basically 4 rookies? It'd be pretty horrible.

This. Give Klingberg a short leash, if he wow's at the NHL level keep him around, if not let him develop in AHL. I could see Oleksiak a NHL full timer next year. Haven't seen Nemeth play that much, but from what I hear he may be ready.

Trade Goligoski at the draft for a low 1st rnd pick.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Nemeth is more ready than Oleksiak for sure. I think Jamie probably needs another year.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Rogle won Game 2 so they are now 1-0-1. 3 teams are tied for 2nd (the last spot that advances to the SHL), and the tie breaker appears to be goal differential. That puts Rogle 3rd right now with a 0 GD.

Emil Molin scored a goal in the 4-3 win.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
John Klingberg's Frolunda surprisingly just dropped its 2nd game in a row, and they are now down 1-2 in the best of seven first round. They were the 2nd best team in the SHL last season, and the team the were playing was ranked 9th of 12.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
John Klingberg's Frolunda surprisingly just dropped its 2nd game in a row, and they are now down 1-2 in the best of seven first round. They were the 2nd best team in the SHL last season, and the team the were playing was ranked 9th of 12.

Well now we can stop being excited about him.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Nemeth is more ready because he has a considerably lower ceiling than Hal Gill... I mean Oleksiak.

Disagree. He's ready because he's ready. He's defensively better than Oleksiak right now, he's more physical, and some games he's more confident with the puck. Their likely ceilings are fairly similar. The chances of Oleksiak becoming a big time scorer are pretty slim. Nemeth and Oleksiak though easily could both be 20+ minute shut down defenders.

Nemeth is also further along in his development so don't take that statement as an attack on Oleksiak. Jamie is just now 21 years old, and he's only in his 2nd year as a pro. Nemeth has been playing against men for 4 years now, and he's been a professional hockey player for 4 years.

Niuewy and the team rushed Oleksiak last year, and he hung around a bit longer than he should have. I like that Nill and Ruff identified he wan't ready and sent back ASAP. Unless he reaches a new level in a long playoff run or somehow takes a major leap over the summer, Oleksiak probably needs another year in the AHL which is hardly a black mark for a guy who will turn 22 years old this fall.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
What about Jokipakka? Wasn't he suppose to be one of, if not the most NHL ready D prospect.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
What about Jokipakka? Wasn't he suppose to be one of, if not the most NHL ready D prospect.

He looks fine, but I just can't see Dallas playing 4 very young regulars unless injuries strike (Connauton, Klingberg, Nemeth, and Jokipakka).

To me, Jokipakka is Trevor Daley minus the top end skating. He's a defensive guy that might occasionally go on a short scoring tear. I wouldn't play Jyrki over Connauton, Klingberg, or Nemeth. In fact, Jokipakka and Oleksiak actually have two more years of waiver eligibility per Cap Geek.

In theory, Jyrki could make the jump in 2015-16, and then Oleksiak could go NHL full time 16-17. Detroit's Tomas Tatar spent 4 years in the AHL. In September of 2016, Jamie would only be 23 years old which is a pretty good age for most young defenders to break in. Dillon was 22 years old, Connauton was 23, if they go full time next year Klingberg and Nemeth would be 22 years old. All these lefties won't remain though. I'd say it's reasonable to assume Nill will do his best to have at least 2 righties. The ultimate goal likely is to have three.

I think Dillon is a pretty clear lock for one spot, and between Nemeth and Oleksiak both of them have played well at RD assuming Dallas only had two right shot defenders. Benn, Jokipakka and Connauton are likely going to ultimately be in competition for a spot. Others could rightfully put Nemeth and Oleksiak in that group, but from what I've seen I think both will eventually be solid defenders for Dallas.

The next waive is another 3 years out in Bystrom and Lindell (assuming he's signed). Hansson could be as much as 5 years out because of the new rules for drafted Europeans that started in 2013.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Ludwig Bystrom returned from illness today. His game is currently in progress, and FBK is down two games to none in their best of seven.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
I don't think Jokipakka goes up next season unless injuries occur or he has an amazing camp. His skating has gotten better but it seems it's thrown off his game just a bit.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Desrosiers is listed as the 2nd best drafted/signed goalie in the Q.

An interesting note from the article ... Rimouski's core is all Philippe's age. As good as they were this year, 3rd overall in points, they could be even better next season. That's perfect for Desrosier's development.

Hopefully they enjoy a long playoff this year, and it'd be nice to see him go head to head against the number 1 player on this list, Zach Fucale.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
What did ownership see in Max Lagace 2 summers ago? Poor guy has played 1 playoff game in the Q and his stats are.... well, not very good.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
What did ownership see in Max Lagace 2 summers ago? Poor guy has played 1 playoff game in the Q and his stats are.... well, not very good.

To be fair he tricked Hockey Canada as well. He was in competition with Subban at some summer goalie camp.

Plus, ownership didn't see anything in him. That's a scout thing. Sometimes you win ... Dillon ... sometimes you don't.

Undrafted free agents are much more hit an miss even than picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad