Prospect Info: 2013-14 Prospect Updates: The Start of the Jim Nill Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Rogle and Dallas' guys had a big day including an all Dallas goal.

Molin has a goal and assist, and Hansson picked up 2 assists. Rogle won 5-2 to move to 8 points. 1st has 9, and 3rd through 6 has 7, 5, 4, and 3 points.

Rogle's next game is a rather large one. They travel to first place Örebro on Tuesday, 3/25.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
G, if you had to guess any ideal what Molin does? He's older than Hannson and if Rogle isn't in the SEL do you think he comes over?

As for Guptill, stuff happens with college athletes all the time. Doesn't mean he made smart decisions but that environment isn't always healthy for clear thought or pure focus on hockey.

He's got way too much talent for them not to bring him down to Austin and see if getting into a completely hockey structured lifestyle won't help. The team has to have known about this for months so I'm sure they wouldn't still be high on him if they thought there were serious issues surrounding him.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Molin is already under contract with Dallas. I would imagine he comes over next year as he's already burned the first year. I don't think Rogle getting into the SHL would matter.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Farjestad wins 4-3 in OT, and they advance to the next round. Bystrom finally got some ice time playing a little over 9 minutes. He missed the first two games because of illness, and the next two he dressed but did not play. He might have still been recovering.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Either a major coincidence or Dallas had a hand in this. Esa Lindell will play for Assat of the Finnish Liiga next season. Dallas has a good relationship with this team, and several prospects in the past have played here. Latest was Austin Smith moving here mid season.

I'd say this is potentially a good sign Dallas plans on signing Lindell.

He looked good at the World Juniors. Looks like a good move, maybe also because of Jokerit going to KHL?

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
The big reason is Jokerit going to the KHL. Lindell was probably always going to be moved on but I'm sure Dallas had a hand in where he ended up. I hope he gets lots of ice time to show his stuff. This looks like a good move for him and for Dallas.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The move is 100% about Jokerit going to the KHL, but he could have gone anywhere ... even Sweden or to North America. I'd be more than surprised though if Dallas didn't play a role in him choosing Ässät.

EDIT: This article even mentions that Dallas' Director of European Scouting Kari Takko helped in the deal. He has also formerly worked with Ässät.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Huge road win for Rogle, and both Niklas Hansson and Emil Molin again pick up points in the game. Rogle went down 0-2 in the 1st, and Molin and Hansson assisted on the 1st of 2 goals in 1:39 in the 2nd to tie the game.

The game went to a shootout, and Molin picked up the winner.

The other 2 games have not finished yet, but currently Rogle is tied for 1st place with the team they just beat for 10 points.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The other two games just ended.

Rogle and Örebro are the two teams sitting in a position to advance to the SHL with 10 points. Malmö (8 points), Västerås (7 points), Djurgårdens (6 points), and AIK (4 points) are currently on the outside looking in.

5 of 10 games have been completed.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Linköping has surprisingly pushed Frölunda to a Game 7 on Thursday, 3/27, with a 5-3 win. Klingberg played over 22 minutes, and he picked up an assist.

2 years ago, Klingberg made it to the finals and lost. Last year, he made the finals and won. It really could be beneficial for his development to be the #1 D of a finals team this time around. That said, it won't exactly be a bad thing to get him into Texas sooner.

Pronman previously mentioned he thought Klingberg could join the Swedish team for the WC. Heika in chat today mentioned it seems like the Dallas staff plan on Klingberg joining Texas for the playoffs. It would make sense to me that a NHL team who loaned their player to a Swedish team would have no issue bringing their player back. Last year the Bruins were held up by the Swedish hockey federation from bringing Soderberg over because he was not signed property of the Bruins at the time, and they wanted him for the WC. Like I said, I'd be shocked if Sweden would have any say in where Klingberg plays based on him already being under NHL contract.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Rimouski takes a 3-0 series lead, and Desrosiers has a 19 shot shutout. I don't think he's faced more than 19 shots in any of the three games. Game 4 is tomorrow night.

Charlottetown loses to Halifax, and Vance's team is down 0-3 in the series. Game 4 is tomorrow night.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Nick Paul and North Bay were shutout. They're down 1-2 in the series, and Game 4 is Thursday.

Jason Dickinson picked up an assist in a 2-1 loss. Guelph leads the series 2-1, and Game 4 is tomorrow.

Gemel Smith had 2 assists in a 10-2 blowout. London leads their series 3-0, and they play Game 4 Thursday.

Faksa scored a goal, but Sudsbury continued it's rather pathetic prolonged fall from grace with another loss. They're down 0-3, and Game 4 is Thursday. They've gone from Eastern Conference contender to an absolute dud in two months it seems.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
3WP5iPt.gif

This could have some negative impact on Gemel Smith and the London Knights. London was already up 3-0 in the first period when London goalie Anthony Stolarz pulled this stunt. I get it ... Josh Ho-Sang slashed him after a save. It's one of the more common occurrences in hockey to poke a prod a goalie. That slash to the back of the head is pretty unreal. I can't believe the ref saw it clear as day and felt justified giving 2 for high sticking. I know it's not baseball swing, but that sure looks like a direct hit to the neck missing the helmet.

I'd honestly be shocked if the OHL doesn't take further action. For goodness sake they just suspended a kid 5 games in this damn series on the Windsor side for "bullying" Gemel Smith.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If you're curious ... story about bullying incident.

Obviously a very chicken **** move by the Windsor player now that I've seen it. The full replay of how this started is at 1:21.

Just for reference. Gemel Smith had just scored 1 minute and 17 seconds before all this broke out to make the game 5-0.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Russian judge gives Ho-sang a 10/10 on the dive. I hope stolarz gets a suspension just to shut the Windsor fans up.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Russian judge gives Ho-sang a 10/10 on the dive. I hope stolarz gets a suspension just to shut the Windsor fans up.

I'll give you that I think he went down a little easy, but so what in this case. So Ho-Sang may or may not have embellished. What about Stolarz's action is a hockey play?

An extra poke on a goalie and a retaliatory slash to the leg is almost cliche how often it happens. Escalating to a slash to the head/neck area is pretty dangerous and stupid. I don't know or care if that was an off speed swing. What if it's not next time?

If Hunter is going to freak out and compare the Gemel Smith incident to Bertuzzi-Moore, he better not as a man pretend his player swinging a stick at another players head is any less serious. I'd be interested for sure to see his reaction because I think most reasonable people are going to have a bigger issue with a stick foul like that over a just as pathetic sucker punch.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
It's definitly par for the course for the series. Not a hockey play, but I'm just jaded with a the complaining revolving around the knights getting preferential treatment around the league (not that you are saying that, OHL fan always do).

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I could see how that would be frustrating. Probably similar for Pens and Hawks fans in the NHL.

Here is video of the slash:

The reason I'm annoyed is purely selfish for Gemel Smith. I think it's pretty cool that he's playing a bigger role on a run to the Memorial Cup. London already has a crazy hard path through the Western Conference. This suspension, which seems likely after reading a few more stories, could be lengthy. Patterson seemed to be OK when Stolarz was hurt, but I don't see how London is going to survive Erie, SSM, and/or Guelph to even get to the OHL final against the East with a backup. I'd really hate to see an early exit like Saskatoon last year.

EDIT:

NormanJamesCTV ‏@NormanJamesCTV

On Stolarz.. good kid. I know he's remorseful. But the act of swinging his stick will cost him, and the Knights. Too bad. They need him.

Bill Meltzer ‏@billmeltzer

Finally saw the Stolarz slashing incident. Can't defend it. He's going to get suspended and deserves it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2M6Yc4r6Wo#t=26

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Hey Starry. What is this referring too?

Mike Farwell ‏@farwell_ohl

Going rate for swing + miss is 4 games RT @Sportsnet: LDN G Anthony Stolarz slashes WSR FJosh Ho-Sang in head http://******/uY3vc #OHL

Is the OHL like the NHL where playoff games > regular season games in terms of time missed, and was that incident mentioned in the tweet a regular season suspension or post-season?

EDIT: Oops ... should have read the next tweet.

Mike Farwell ‏@farwell_ohl

Carter Sandlak's chop was shoulder high but missed the head. Still, nasty intent and he got 4 games. Stolarz's swing looks like 5 to me.

That was Friday's game in Guelph. Yikes ... he didn't even make contact with the head apparently. I don't see how head/neck contact would only be worth 1 more, but here's to hoping that might be the case.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Also a junior, Phil Di Giuseppe of Michigan just signed with Carolina. I would imagine a Guptill signing with Dallas should happen soon.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
So I figured out why Bystrom had not been playing in the SHL. He played two games with the U20 team on 3/19 and 3/21. Bystrom picked up a goal and assist in the 2nd game. Farjestad advanced to the quarterfinals, and the best of 3 series starts today. Farjestad in the SHL has already advanced to the semi-final round so they aren't playing. Bystrom could be available and playing in the U20 today.

MetalGodAOD*

According to Mark Edwards, Guptill signs with Dallas. He's going pro.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
If stolarz is suspended 5 games we are screwed. Patterson is not a quality goalie. I don't want to play with fire, but throwing a couple games against Windsor might improve our shot at winning overall. We will be swept by Guelph if Patterson has to start all four games. The Knights redeeming quality is their offence (3rd line has smith and mccarron), but Guelph is even better.

On the topic of Smith, he has been great lately. Plays with a ton of heart and really clicks with mccarron. Before Smith arrived mccarron was absolutely atrocious, but with Smith making plays and moving the puck with speed he looks like a first round pick.

As well, I am pleased to see Guptill go pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->