Prospect Info: 2013-14 Prospect Updates: The Start of the Jim Nill Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Henri Kiviaho played in his first game in the European Trophy this season (2nd of his career).

After his team went up 2-0, he let the opposing team get even. KalPa scores on a PP to take the lead and an empty netter to seal the victory.

On the first goal, Kiviaho can't hold onto the puck with this glove hand as he's falling forward awkwardly. They pop the puck over him stretched out on the ice. The 2nd goal was a pretty impressive individual effort by the attacker ... or maybe just really bad coverage by KalPa. After his defender gets beat, Kiviaho can't make the save one on one.

John Klingberg is among the tournament leaders in defensive scoring with 4 points (1+3) in 3 games.

In the video, he scores the 2nd goal with a point shot, and on the 4th goal (3rd for Frolunda), his point shot creates a rebound that results in a goal.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
The Hockey News listed these, in order, as our top 10 prospects.

1. Valeri Nichushkin
2. Brett Ritchie
3. Radek Faksa
4. Jack Campbell
5. Jason Dickinson
6. Jamie Oleksiak
7. Alex Chiasson
8. Ludvig Bystrom
9. Cam Gaunce
10. Patrick Nemeth

They have a throwaway waiver candidate in our top 10 prospects.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I got to see Remi Elie today live in preseason action. He was used in a greater role than I would expect in the regular season, mainly due the lack of Horvat and Broadhurst (Chicago prospect) for the Knights. The thing that stood out to me for him was the situations he was used in. Elie was the only Knight to see a regular shift on every penalty kill. When he was out there he was quite effective (sticks in passing lanes, blocking shots, making key checks). You could tell that his agility was a bit better than last year when he was making his starts and stops. He didn't register any points but was a factor in a goal that the knights scored by drawing two defensemen to him as he drove to the net. As well, I would say that he had roughly 8 hits and 3 blocked shots in the 5-1 win for the knights.

As a side note this was the most entertaining preseason game I have seen. 6 or 7 fights, 4 game misconducts and a spectacular goal by Domi.

Primetimey*

Ully is playing tonight as well, exciting to get the pre-season started!

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
European Trophy update:

Fishpaw Writing ‏@FishpawWriting

Henri Kiviaho (2012 5th Round) makes 27 saves on 32 shots in a 6-5 SO loss to Piráti Chomutov in the European Trophy

Esa Lindell (2012 3rd Round) gets an opportunity on top pair in European Trophy in 2-0 win. "Lindell with a crushing hit on Nykopp mid-ice."

Emil Molin (2011 4th Round) scores goal with deflection of point shot in a 2-3 loss during European Trophy.

John Klingberg (2010 5th Round) on the first pair, John picks up another assist. 2nd in D scoring for tournament (5 games 2G-4A-6P).

Jokipakka

Jun 19, 2013
Turku
European Trophy update:

I followed Lindell during first two periods and liked what I saw. Esa got a lot of powerplay time, had couple of shots from the blueline and was physical at times.

He didn't look out of place in the own zone, although I suspect he had mostly offensive zone starts. It was an important game against a local rival and he seemed to handle the added pressure well. I was expecting a lot of rookie mistakes in a game like this.

Tonight, Jokerit will once more face IFK and Lindell gets another shot as a top pairing defenseman. Hopefully Esa can repeat last nights performance. Couldn't be more excited!

Primetimey*

Ully got an assist while wearing the 'A' for Kamloops, a lot more CHL pre-season games today.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Some updates on other prospects:

Dmitry Sinitsyn (2012 7th Round) is projected as a Top 4 D for the Regina Pats (WHL) http://www.leaderpost.com/mobile/sports/news/Changes+coming+Regina+Pats+blueline/8836652/story.html

Matej Paulovic (2013 5th Round) Adjusting to North America. http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2013/08/29/paulovic-heeded-fathers-advice

Remi Ellie (2013 2nd Round) is already catching his coaches eye. http://metronews.ca/news/london/780011/if-you-ask-the-london-knights-size-definitely-matters/

Mike Winther (2012 2nd Round) seems to have made the transition to full time LW http://www.paherald.sk.ca/Sports/Ho...Winther-looking-for-consistency-this-season/1

Aleksi Makela (2013 7th Round) Illves head coach says he'll be out a "long time" with injury http://www.jatkoaika.com/Haastattel...n-meidän-hyökkäys-erittäin-vaarallinen/150589

Aleksi Makela (2013 7th Round) out until Christmas http://www.jatkoaika.com/Artikkeli/ilveksen-kokoonpanossa-useampi-kysymysmerkki/150573

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
One game done in the ET:

Esa Lindell (2012 3rd Round) remained on the top pair in European Trophy. Picks up two primary assists in a 4-0 win.

Ludwig Bystrom (2012 2nd Round) has missed several ET games playing with Sweden's U-20 team in a pre-4 Nations Tourney in Finland

Last edited:

Jokipakka

Jun 19, 2013
Turku
Lindell was awesome!

http://www.iltalehti.fi/smliiga/2013090117437155_sm.shtml

Esa Lindell receives high praise from head coach Tomi Lämsä & teammate Jarkko Ruutu.

-Lämsä wanted to measure Lindell mentally and also give him some powerplay responsibility. Was impressed by the way Esa performed, especially offensive play was excellent.
-Ruutu says Esa is a very smart player. Can time passes and makes other players better with well-timed solutions.
-Lindell secured his place in the lineup against Adler Mannheim and Ingolstadt.

http://www.hifk.fi/hifk-tv?video=5433qgte&kategoria

HIFK-Jokerit Highlights. 2:08 Beautiful pass from lindell.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Radek Faksa not playing today:

J Fishpaw ‏@FishpawWriting

Kitchener beat writer @BrownRecord lists Dallas draft pick at center on the top line for North Bay in exhibition game against Rangers.

Should have said Nick Paul, FYI.

Primetimey*

Anyone have a link on where you can get OHL pre-season stats? The WHL and QMJHL websites are listing their games/stats but the OHL website isn't for some reason.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Anyone have a link on where you can get OHL pre-season stats? The WHL and QMJHL websites are listing their games/stats but the OHL website isn't for some reason.

I've been following the team and beat writers on Twitter. That's the best you can hope for it seems.

So far, only Remi Ellie has seen action in the OHL IIRC, and I believe he has a goal in both games.

FYI: @BrownRecord confirmed Nick Paul is skating as the number 1 center today for North Bay. I'm not too familiar with their roster so I don't know if any big name centers are sitting out, but it will be interested to see if Paul remains at center this season or slides back to wing eventually.

Primetimey*

I donno why the OHL isn't listing stats! Bummer. Just saw on Twitter Paulovic has two goals for the Petes, game still in progress.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I donno why the OHL isn't listing stats! Bummer. Just saw on Twitter Paulovic has two goals for the Petes, game still in progress.

His coach seemed pretty excited to have him in camp. I posted the story a few days ago. I'm glad he seems to be making an immediate impact.

Kitchener is up 5-2 on North Bay. FWIW, Paul actually played center last year. I'd only ever seen him listed at wing, but maybe he has a chance to play center at the pro level if he can keep it up for the Battalion.

Paul is one of five remaining centers on the North Bay roster.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
European Trophy:

Henri Kiviaho (2012 5th Round Pick) gives up 5 goals on 35 shots in a 6-4 loss today.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
http://www.iltalehti.fi/smliiga/2013090117437155_sm.shtml

Esa Lindell receives high praise from head coach Tomi Lämsä & teammate Jarkko Ruutu.

-Lämsä wanted to measure Lindell mentally and also give him some powerplay responsibility. Was impressed by the way Esa performed, especially offensive play was excellent.
-Ruutu says Esa is a very smart player. Can time passes and makes other players better with well-timed solutions.
-Lindell secured his place in the lineup against Adler Mannheim and Ingolstadt.

http://www.hifk.fi/hifk-tv?video=5433qgte&kategoria

HIFK-Jokerit Highlights. 2:08 Beautiful pass from lindell.

Full game (Lindell wearing #63 in white):

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Meanwhile in Europe:

#EuropeantTrophy Dallas prospect Lindell was back on the 4th pair for Jokerit on Thursday.

#EuropeanTrophy Henri Kiviaho didn't play Fri or Sat game for KalPa. Emil Molin on the 4th line on Friday for Bryans, and he's not in today.

#EuropeanTrophy Ludwig Bystrom returns from U-20 to play on 2nd pair. Today he gets an opportunity on 1st pair, but he is ejected in 2nd.

#EuropeanTrophy Bystrom was assessed a 10 minute abuse of official penalty.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It's the pre-season, but is it time to start getting excited that all the potential we've heard about might be coming together?

Dmitry Sinitsyn @DallasStars 2012 7th round pick fitting in quite well with the Regina Pats of the WHL http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Pats+Sinitsyn+quick+study/8882460/story.html

The story comes after his 2nd pre season game where he picks up a goal and assist. He now has 2 goals and 1 assist in his first 2 WHL games.

"I like scoring goals," offered Sinitsyn, who potted a one-timer Friday and also had an assist. "I've been working on my shot for my whole life. When I was 10 or 12 I would go outside of my house and shoot probably 300 pucks a day. I don't have the opportunity here now because we don't have much time but I would do it still if I could. You can't perfect a shot. You can always make it better."

"He's very poised with the puck," said Pats head coach Malcolm Cameron. "Some people may look at him and say he lacks a sense of urgency. I say he has ice in his veins. He doesn't panic under pressure. That's something I thought we would have to work with him on with all the rust he's had over the last couple years. But he's a good skater, he's strong, he's physical and he can separate people from pucks very quickly. He's obviously very good on the power play. Everything we're throwing at him he's digesting very quickly.

"He's showing a high hockey IQ and he's just going to get better."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->