Prospect Info: 2013-14 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Gunnarsson signed a two-year deal with Färjestad, I think maybe the Folin signing is writing on the wall for this guy.

I was also kind of bummed that Christoph Bertschy re-signed in Switzerland, news article said there was no out clause either. He also chose to finish school rather than play with Team Switzerland at the Worlds, which would have been a decent opportunity for him one would think.

That's disappointing. I was really excited to have him on board in what i expect to be a revamped and better Iowa squad next year.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Gunnarsson signed a two-year deal with Färjestad, I think maybe the Folin signing is writing on the wall for this guy.

Not necessarily. He has mentioned that he chose Färjestad because he wants to develop his game even further. His last season was kinda disappointing, and critics said he looked "lazy at times" and "uninterested", but the talent and size are still there. Furthermore, he has mentioned himself that he feels more like a two-way D-man now, when he used to be more offensive. Besides, it's not like he is old, born in 92 so same age as Granlund. I'd give him this year in Sweden to see if he is able to develop more. There have been various comments speculating if his style of play would fit better to smaller ice though, so that's something to look into as well.

I was also kind of bummed that Christoph Bertschy re-signed in Switzerland, news article said there was no out clause either. He also chose to finish school rather than play with Team Switzerland at the Worlds, which would have been a decent opportunity for him one would think.

To be honest, I don't see too much potential in Bertschy. I mean, he is definitely shifty and talented, but I haven't seen anything that screams more than "career Euro" to me. Don't get me wrong, NLA is definitely an excellent league in its own right, but I don't see him making the jump, barring something unexpected.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
My current list:

1. Christian Folin (D) - 7B
2. Mathew Dumba (D) - 7.5C
T3. Daniel Gunnarsson (D) - 7C
T3. Johan Gustafsson (G) - 7C
T3. Tyler Graovac (C) - 7C
T3. Mario Lucia (L) - 7C
T3. Gustav Olofsson (D) - 7C
T3. Zack Phillips (C) - 7C
T3. Zack Mitchell (R) - 7C
T3. Brady Brassart (R) - 7C
T11. Brett Bulmer (L) - 6.5C
T11. Raphael Bussieres (L) - 6.5C
T11. Nolan DeJong (D) - 6.5C
T11. John Draeger (C) - 6.5C
T11. Adam Gilmour (C) - 6.5C
T11. Avery Peterson (C) - 6.5C
T11. Nick Seeler (D) - 6.5C
T11. Kurtis Gabriel (R) - 6.5C
T19. Dylan Labbe (D) - 6C
T19. Louis Nanne (L) - 6C
T19. Carson Soucy (D) - 6C
T22. Alexandre Belanger (G) - 6.5D
T22. Christoph Bertschy (C) - 6.5D
T24. Steven Kampfer (D) - 5B
T24. Carson McMillan (C) - 5B
T24. Cody Almond (C) - 5B
T24. Kris Foucault (L) - 5B
28. Stephen Michalek (G) - 5C
T29. Tyler Cuma (D) - 4B
T29. Kyle Medvec (D) - 4B
T31. Colton Jobke (D) - 3B
T31. Josh Caron (D) - 3B
33. Anthony Hamburg (R) - 2B

Just rate guys I have seen at least 5 times
Dumba
Phillips
Bulmer
Graovac
Buss

Gustaffson
Gabriel
Brassart
Mitchell
Gilmour
Labbe

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Didn't help. I don't think the prospects per se had awful seasons, but I also don't think Iowa had any guys who are blue-chip prospects either.

Not to mention guys like Phillips, Buss, and Bulmer really didn't take a huge step forward in their development. Bulmer looks like a bust at this point (injuries are making it difficult for him to develop) and Buss is along the way of becoming a bust. With everyone wanting Zucker out, that means we have Lucia and Goose as the only two 2nd round picks that are still developing. Fletcher's early drafts aren't looking as good as they once were;

Leddy, Hackett, Fallstrom traded. Foucault, Sallinen and Hamburg are busts (but long shots). Kuemper and Haula saved that draft. Next you have, Granlund and ??? Bulmer looks like a bust. Zucker is on his way out. Larsson got traded. Gustafsson might not find a way in the organization due to Kuemper and McKinlay is a bust. The others are too early to tell but the organization is getting light on talent. Thank God we've been able to move pieces around but we're going to hit that gap I think again when this team will need to replace players but we don't have the players to replace them with.

This isn't very surprising but teams that gave away first-rounders or did poorly with those they had also were low. So the Wild's lost 2013 first-rounder might have kept the team a bit higher in the rankings, but on the whole it's a weaker group than last year, mostly due to graduations.

True and the fact that none of their prospects in Houston really made any huge developments moving forward, which has to be of some concern for this organization. You would have liked to see Bulmer stay healthy (along with Buss) and Phillips make a significant step forward in his development.

Haula really helped this organization because 2009, 2010 and 2011 look pretty weak. You'd like to hit on one other prospect outside the 1st round pick (or two if the 1st round pick busts). 2009 actually looks a bit stronger than 2010 and 2011, but it depends on what happens with Zucker and Lucia.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
My God man, the word "bust" is over used a lot in this thread.

Last year this time, Granlund-Kuemper were being critized unfairly here.
Haula was drafted in 2009, and just now 5 years later is making an impact.But guys like Buss(drafted in 2012) two years ago is being considered a bust ?? Bulmer has significant upside, he looked great in the NHL this year and good in Iowa and Phillips led team in scoring(as bad as they were).

Christ it took Haula 30 games of pro to score a 5 on 5 goal, now look at him--

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Bulmer has a lot of injury concerns that can't be ignored. Buss was never seen as a scorer or anything offensively and its showing. At least with Hauls he produced in college. Buss and Bulmer may make it one day as third line wingers but right now, they are long shots.

tomthestone*

Everyone drafted outside the first round is a long shot to contribute at the NHL level. From the third round on, any selection that lasts in the show is a home run.

Last edited by a moderator:

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Bulmer has a lot of injury concerns that can't be ignored. Buss was never seen as a scorer or anything offensively and its showing. At least with Hauls he produced in college. Buss and Bulmer may make it one day as third line wingers but right now, they are long shots.

Bussieres had 44 points in 56 games the year he was drafted and 68 in 60 the year after.

Having 19 points in 61 games his rookie professional season isn't all that bad at all. I can't really see how you can define him as a bust at this early point in his career.

Brett Bulmer almost tripled his points last year from what he had the year before, going from 7 in 2012/2013 to 19 in 2013/2014 - both seasons playing in 43 games. Yes, he's had injury problems but he's showing progress and for a grinder/banger like him that really means something.

Neither Bulmer or Bussieres were ever brought in to be those 40-50+ points guys in the NHL. Speedy and physical third or fourth liners who can toss in 10-15 goals a year were our best hope and I can't see how you can write off either one yet.

tomthestone*

Bussieres had 44 points in 56 games the year he was drafted and 68 in 60 the year after.

Having 19 points in 61 games his rookie professional season isn't all that bad at all. I can't really see how you can define him as a bust at this early point in his career.

Brett Bulmer almost tripled his points last year from what he had the year before, going from 7 in 2012/2013 to 19 in 2013/2014 - both seasons playing in 43 games. Yes, he's had injury problems but he's showing progress and for a grinder/banger like him that really means something.

Neither Bulmer or Bussieres were ever brought in to be those 40-50+ points guys in the NHL. Speedy and physical third or fourth liners who can toss in 10-15 goals a year were our best hope and I can't see how you can write off either one yet.

Well said. Not big on Bulmer myself, but he's 22 and has shown some capability in the past. Bussieres has one pro season under his belt and can't even drink legally (in the US) until this upcoming November.

A lot of posters have made note of Scandella's development. After showcasing a bit of nifty ability along with a lot of flaws in his initial callup, he's made significant strides from age 22 to where he is now at 24 years old. Suggesting Bulmer and/or Bussieres are busts isn't fair at this point. There's no such thing as a true bust outside the first round in the NHL Draft anyway. Everyone drafted outside the first is raw or lacks something significant in his game or measurables. Project players take years to come along, and most of them never make it.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
For GOD sakes, let these kids develop. I understand a few of the older ones, but some of the kids some of you are naming are still only 19-20-21 years of age. Some of these kids just need a Detroit mentality. Three years in the minors is not a bad thing for many later round picks. I don't want to read the sentence "Buss is on the way to being a bust" when he's played ONE season in the AHL. Just stop it.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Once again, one person says "bust" and multiple people come back complaining about "people" using the word "bust".

I also said on the way to being a bust - Buss has time to develop but if he continues on his path that he is currently on, he's going to be a bust. He's going to need some significant development next year.

19 points in the AHL in 61 games? 5 goals? We have some pretty low standards for our team then. This isn't a 4th or 5th round pick, this is a 2nd round pick we're talking about. Hell, Cody Ceci had 19 points in 27 games and he's a defenseman!

The injuries are the only thing holding Bulmer back and it is a concern for the Wild. Injuries and development have always been a major issue for the Wild organization.

Again, we have pretty low standards for a 2nd round pick if we think they were supposed to be the 30-40 point guys. I am not writing off Buss but his development leaves a LOT to be desired here. As for Bulmer, his injuries should be a concern for the Wild organization. Missing half a season does a lot to the development.

For GOD sakes, let these kids develop. I understand a few of the older ones, but some of the kids some of you are naming are still only 19-20-21 years of age. Some of these kids just need a Detroit mentality. Three years in the minors is not a bad thing for many later round picks. I don't want to read the sentence "Buss is on the way to being a bust" when he's played ONE season in the AHL. Just stop it.

LATER round picks. Sure. But these guys are 2nd round (and in Bulmer's case a high pick). It's funny how you guys say let these kids develop and yet we HAD to make the playoffs last year instead of letting the kids and the team develop. Furthermore, ON THE WAY to being a bust. Is a lot different then BUST. He's going to have to show a considerable amount of development next year.

And don't bring up Detroit at all. Tomas Tatar had 16 goals and 32 points in less games than Buss and Bulmer. He also had 24 goals the next two seasons. Nyquist had 22 goals his rookie season in 56 games and then 23 in 58. The offense was already there for them to develop. Buss had 5 goals. The offense hasn't shown up for the Buss. Will it? Who knows? But again, that sign of development is a big concern for the Wild - for a team that is needing secondary scorers.

I'm all for letting the kids develop as slow as possible but they need to show something. That's why I am so against trading Zucker.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Confirmed in Russo's latest blog.

Fletcher has until Sunday to sign Daniel Gunnarsson our 2012 5th round pick, and I for one hope this gets done.

tomthestone*

Russo just came out and basically confirmed what we've known for a bit about Gunnarsson -- that the Wild are about to lose his rights. Probably not a big deal, but it was tough not to envision a potential steal there.

"If the Wild doesn’t sign 2012 fifth-round pick Daniel Gunnarsson by [Sunday], the Wild loses his rights and he can reenter the NHL draft. As of now, it doesn’t look like the big defenseman’s too motivated to play in the NHL. He has already re-signed to play in Sweden next season."

Edit: I'm slow.

J22*

Russo just came out and basically confirmed what we've known for a bit about Gunnarsson -- that the Wild are about to lose his rights. Probably not a big deal, but it was tough not to envision a potential steal there.

"If the Wild doesn’t sign 2012 fifth-round pick Daniel Gunnarsson by [Sunday], the Wild loses his rights and he can reenter the NHL draft. As of now, it doesn’t look like the big defenseman’s too motivated to play in the NHL. He has already re-signed to play in Sweden next season."

Edit: I'm slow.

Not that it makes a difference to the Wild, but I am pretty sure that Gunnarsson will become a free agent and not have to re-enter the draft. The reason being his age when drafted.

That would suck. I thought the kid had an NHL future but he might not have the desire. At least they would get a compensatory 7th maybe...

NHL only does compensatory picks for unsigned 1st rounders.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Russo also says that Cuma probably isn't tendered this offseason.

The last of DR's First Round Busts rides into the sunset.

tomthestone*

I was wondering about that nugget related to Gunnarsson re-entering the draft and his age. Assuming he doesn't sign and becomes NHL-ready in a couple years, who knows? The Wild will probably be on his short list.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
[MOD]

I always had hoped Cuma would've gotten past his injuries and at least made a serviceable bottom-pairing defenseman. Tough run of bad breaks for the kid.

Last edited by a moderator:

J22*

LOL AINT THAT THE TRUTH! im confused why gunnarson would pass on the wild? not every gm will see that as a positive sign.

Not signing means 1 of 2 things. Either there's something about Minnesota that he doesn't like, or he has no interest in playing overseas.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Not that it makes a difference to the Wild, but I am pretty sure that Gunnarsson will become a free agent and not have to re-enter the draft. The reason being his age when drafted.

Gunnarsson will re-enter the draft. Europeans need to either be drafted twice and not sign in order to become a UFA or hit age 22 without ever being drafted.

As Gunnarsson was drafted at age 20, he still has to get drafted again in order to become a UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad