Prospect Info: 2013-14 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
we need to do something to improve the talent level of the iowa wild. we dont have alot of players ready to be called up to the wild in case of injury. i was hoping both gunnarson & bertschy would be there next year. any word on our other college players stepping up to iowa?

J22*

Gunnarsson will re-enter the draft. Europeans need to either be drafted twice and not sign in order to become a UFA or hit age 22 without ever being drafted.

As Gunnarsson was drafted at age 20, he still has to get drafted again in order to become a UFA.

Not sure where you're getting the "need to be drafted twice" bit. but this is straight from the new cba -

ARTICLE 8 8.6-8.6
Notwithstanding any provision of Sections 8.6(a) or (b) to the contrary, if
a Player drafted at age 20 or older is drafted from a club outside North
America, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation
for his services through and including the second June 1 following his
selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to
such Player to retain such rights.
(iii) Upon the expiration of the applicable exclusive right of negotiation as
outlined in subsections (i) and (ii) above, the Player shall be a draft-related
Unrestricted Free Agent.

tomthestone*

we need to do something to improve the talent level of the iowa wild. we dont have alot of players ready to be called up to the wild in case of injury. i was hoping both gunnarson & bertschy would be there next year. any word on our other college players stepping up to iowa?

I doubt we see any of the college players with remaining NCAA eligibility turn pro over the summer. Obviously Olofsson will add some size and talent to the Iowa blueline, but I don't see Draeger, Gilmour or Lucia in the minors until 2015-16 at the earliest.

It will be interesting to see what happens at this year's draft, and whether Fletcher and co. take a slightly different approach with so many holes at the AHL level. I wouldn't mind seeing the team put a lower priority on college-bound players for a year or two.

Caior89

Mar 31, 2011
Gunnar.
Damn, i hope we re-sign him, lots of potential and looked great the few times he played here in dev camp.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Not sure where you're getting the "need to be drafted twice" bit. but this is straight from the new cba -

ARTICLE 8 8.6-8.6
Notwithstanding any provision of Sections 8.6(a) or (b) to the contrary, if
a Player drafted at age 20 or older is drafted from a club outside North
America, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation
for his services through and including the second June 1 following his
selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to
such Player to retain such rights.
(iii) Upon the expiration of the applicable exclusive right of negotiation as
outlined in subsections (i) and (ii) above, the Player shall be a draft-related
Unrestricted Free Agent.

Based on Article 8.4 he is eligable for claim in the 2014 NHL Entry draft. The bolded apply to him and what I said. Possibly 8.6 grants UFA if they meet the qualifications of 8.4 to be excluded from the Entry draft.

8.4 Eligibility for Claim.
(a) All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:
(i) a Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out;
(ii) a Player who has been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts;(iii) a Player who previously played in the League and became a Free Agent
pursuant to this Agreement;
(iv) a Player age 21 or older who: (A) has not been selected in a previous
Entry Draft and (B) played hockey for at least one season in North
America when he was age 18, 19, or 20 and shall be eligible to enter the
League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d); and
(v) a Player age 22 or older who has not been selected in a previous Entry
Draft and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free
Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d).

J22*

Based on Article 8.4 he is eligable for claim in the 2014 NHL Entry draft. The bolded apply to him and what I said. Possibly 8.6 grants UFA if they meet the qualifications of 8.4 to be excluded from the Entry draft.

There is also 8.6(a)(iii) which appears to apply directly to Gunnarssons case outlining that the tream that drafts him this year only gets a 1 year exclusive window.

this provision shall not apply to a
Player drafted from a club outside North America

Taken directly from your 2nd quote from the CBA.

I dont claim to be a CBA expert, but am pretty confident that Gunnarsson will become a free agent if he isnt signed.

tomthestone*

I dont claim to be a CBA expert, but am pretty confident that Gunnarsson will become a free agent if he isnt signed.

Well if that's the case, there might be more to the situation. Definitely a reach here, but isn't his older brother currently in the NHL? As in Carl Gunnarsson of the Toronto Maple Leafs? Maybe Daniel signed a two-year deal to stay in Sweden so that he can angle to join Carl once he's ready to jump the pond and play in the show.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Ya, i misread that.

Still, based on the eligibility to be drafted part, he certainly doesn't meet any of the conditions to be excluded from the draft.

That section (d) Players Drafted from a Club Outside North America is completely new with the new CBA, previously there were only sections on Juniors and College.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

I did some more reading, Draft-Related Free Agent is defined in section10.1 as any player not eligable for future drafts. Based on the eligibility rules in 8.4 it still seems like to me he should be going back into the draft, but their is certainly enough ambiguity in 8.6 to challange it.

So its either saying one of these two things.
1) if you meet the requirements of 8.4 you are a UFA.
or
2)Regardless of what 8.4 and 10.1 say, you are a UFA.

I guess we will figure it out in a month.

(d) Draft-Related Unrestricted Free Agents.
(i) Any Player not eligible for claim in any future Entry Draft pursuant to this
Agreement and not on a Club's Reserve List shall be an Unrestricted Free
Agent. Further, any Player eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, but who
was unclaimed, shall be an Unrestricted Free Agent subject to the
provisions of Section 8.9(b).

J22*

Ya, i misread that.

Still, based on the eligibility to be drafted part, he certainly doesn't meet any of the conditions to be excluded from the draft.

That section (d) Players Drafted from a Club Outside North America is completely new with the new CBA, previously there were only sections on Juniors and College.

You're looking at the provisions of who is eligible to be drafted. A 22 year old who hasn't been previously drafted is a UFA, if he is 22 and has been previoulsy drafted you have to go to 8.6 to see what happens to his rights. If he was drafted at 18 or 19 things would be different.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Well if that's the case, there might be more to the situation. Definitely a reach here, but isn't his older brother currently in the NHL? As in Carl Gunnarsson of the Toronto Maple Leafs? Maybe Daniel signed a two-year deal to stay in Sweden so that he can angle to join Carl once he's ready to jump the pond and play in the show.

they may be related somewhere down the line but not brothers.

The Wild can shore up the AHL problem by just signing a decent AHL free agent or two: remember how much a guy like Jon DiSalvatore did for the club? But I think the prospects will be much better individually next year and having guys like Folin (maybe), Olofsson and Zack Mitchell should help too.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
You're looking at the provisions of who is eligible to be drafted. A 22 year old who hasn't been previously drafted is a UFA, if he is 22 and has been previoulsy drafted you have to go to 8.6 to see what happens to his rights. If he was drafted at 18 or 19 things would be different.

I am looking at who is eligable to be drafted, because that tells us if he can be drafted. It takes rights into considereation with section (i), and certainly applies to players who have been drafted before by mentioning being drafted twice excludes you.

So for Major Juniors/College players, 8.6 tells you how long the club retains rights, then 8.4 tells you if they become UFAs or go back into the draft. The only mention of UFA

8.6(d)(iii) could be saying they are UFAs regardless of what 10.1(d) and 8.4 say, or it could being saying based on the definition of 10.1(d) that if they are no longer eligable for the draft.

J22*

I am looking at who is eligable to be drafted, because that tells us if he can be drafted. It takes rights into considereation with section (i), and certainly applies to players who have been drafted before by mentioning being drafted twice excludes you.

So for Major Juniors/College players, 8.6 tells you how long the club retains rights, then 8.4 tells you if they become UFAs or go back into the draft. The only mention of UFA

8.6(d)(iii) could be saying they are UFAs regardless of what 10.1(d) and 8.4 say, or it could being saying based on the definition of 10.1(d) that if they are no longer eligable for the draft.

And I showed you the rule that pertains to a 20 year old that is drafted from outside North America.

Long story short- are there any 22 year olds eligible for the draft?
Will the Wild or any NHL team hold his rights beyond June 1?

tomthestone*

they may be related somewhere down the line but not brothers.

The Wild can shore up the AHL problem by just signing a decent AHL free agent or two: remember how much a guy like Jon DiSalvatore did for the club? But I think the prospects will be much better individually next year and having guys like Folin (maybe), Olofsson and Zack Mitchell should help too.

Hmm. Wikipedia (link) might have it wrong then. I always knew not to go Wiki on it for a scholarly paper, but I thought it would qualify as a legit source for an HF Boards post. Now I'm confused, and don't even know what to believe anymore. :help:

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

Russo said it is going to be different in his article

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Does Folin start next season at Iowa? Eliteprospects have him listed so, but i thought he might start up in the big club.

It's up to him and how well he plays in training camp. Eliteprospects might just be playing it safe and saying Iowa but nobody knows for sure yet.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
It's up to him and how well he plays in training camp. Eliteprospects might just be playing it safe and saying Iowa but nobody knows for sure yet.

Right, thanks.

I just wondered if there was anything specific on this matter out there..

clearly wasnt.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I doubt we see any of the college players with remaining NCAA eligibility turn pro over the summer. Obviously Olofsson will add some size and talent to the Iowa blueline, but I don't see Draeger, Gilmour or Lucia in the minors until 2015-16 at the earliest.

It will be interesting to see what happens at this year's draft, and whether Fletcher and co. take a slightly different approach with so many holes at the AHL level. I wouldn't mind seeing the team put a lower priority on college-bound players for a year or two.
I think that was the point of him targetting junior free agents this year. They probably aren't going to be NHLers, but they'll get 2 years in Iowa to test them out, and afterwards the NCAA draftees can join Iowa. In the meanwhile, the junior free agents fill out the Iowa roster for a low cost.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Iowa should be slightly better with Mitchell and Brassart. It's sink or swim for Phillips next year. Graovac and Bussieres should add some depth scoring to the team as well. I still think they could use some vets on that team though, but it seems the AHL limits those signings.

I'm much more worried about their defense than the offense. Dumba and Olofsson should help, as well as Labbe, but again, they need vets.

They won't be any worse off walking away from Cuma and Foucault, IMO.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Iowa should be slightly better with Mitchell and Brassart. It's sink or swim for Phillips next year. Graovac and Bussieres should add some depth scoring to the team as well. I still think they could use some vets on that team though, but it seems the AHL limits those signings.

I'm much more worried about their defense than the offense. Dumba and Olofsson should help, as well as Labbe, but again, they need vets.

They won't be any worse off walking away from Cuma and Foucault, IMO.

Buss needs to prove he can score at a higher level before he'd be consider depth.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
He was a 20 year old rookie. Phillips had 8 goals his rookie year in 10 more games.

Is he disappointing so far? Absolutely. This doesn't look like a good pick for Fletcher considering it was a mid-second rounder. I'll never understand why teams draft role players in the top three rounds.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
He was a 20 year old rookie. Phillips had 8 goals his rookie year in 10 more games.

Is he disappointing so far? Absolutely. This doesn't look like a good pick for Fletcher considering it was a mid-second rounder. I'll never understand why teams draft role players in the top three rounds.

Exactly. Should be all about talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad