Prospect Info: 2013-14 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Buss had a solid year as a first year pro----god awful team,good pick and will turn out to be a good player.......even Zucker had only 1 point in his last 8 games there--

tomthestone*

So it's official, per the Russo blog, that the Wild has not tendered a contract offer to Daniel Gunnarsson. There was some confusion as to whether he'd have to re-enter the draft, but it sounds like he'll become a free agent.

Not even a big deal, really. But every farm system has room for 6-5 righty defenders from Sweden. Too bad he never gave the AHL a go.

tomthestone*

Disappointing, yes. But the Wild already have two high-potential righties on their way through the system in Folin and Dumba. Those two guys are both way more NHL ready than Gunnarsson, so it's not like there was a spot waiting for him in Minnesota. Very unlikely the Wild ever feel stung by how this turned out.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Disappointing, yes. But the Wild already have two high-potential righties on their way through the system in Folin and Dumba. Those two guys are both way more NHL ready than Gunnarsson, so it's not like there was a spot waiting for him in Minnesota. Very unlikely the Wild ever feel stung by how this turned out.

And now that youve said that, watch for him to join the NHL and win the Norris in like 5 years or something silly. :sarcasm:

Realistically this isn't a huge loss for us at all.

tomthestone*

And now that youve said that, watch for him to join the NHL and win the Norris in like 5 years or something silly. :sarcasm:

Realistically this isn't a huge loss for us at all.

I haven't been here long enough to have words come back and blow up in my face, so I didn't even stop to think about the jinx factor. Hopefully fans know the front office played this one right, even if Gunnarsson becomes a quality NHL defender someday.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Really is unfortunate about Gunnar, but he didn't want to play here. I'm not high on Folin and I don't think Dumba or Olofsson will make an impact for at least 2+ years, so not a huge loss.

I'm more concerned about the lack of scorers in the prospect pool than depth defensemen though.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Really is unfortunate about Gunnar, but he didn't want to play here. I'm not high on Folin and I don't think Dumba or Olofsson will make an impact for at least 2+ years, so not a huge loss.

I'm more concerned about the lack of scorers in the prospect pool than depth defensemen though.
Rational part of my brain tells me that it's very unreasonable to think a undrafted college free agent can first jump right into the NHL and then become anything more than a depth, role player.

The irrational part of my brain looks at his game and size, and the Wild's blueline's needs, and thinks its a match-made-in-heaven and obviously, obviously it's going to work out perfectly and he's going to be a monster for us.

Hoping its the middle point between those too positions.

Last edited:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Well, we signed him to a two year, one way contract right? Obviously the organization must see something NHL ready or very close in him.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Well, we signed him to a two year, one way contract right? Obviously the organization must see something NHL ready or very close in him.
Based on watching him in the NCAA tournament and his one NHL game, and Russo's comments, I think the Wild view Folin as their #1 Dman "prospect" at the moment, or at the very least, the most NHL ready.

Side note - The more I think about Dumba, the more I am annoyed by the pick of him. Even at fully developed, I think he is going to make a lot of stupid mistakes that is going to forever haunt him in the NHL. TROUBA!!!!!!!

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
I liked Gunnarsson when he was up here for the development camp, but I'm OK with this. Especially if he wasn't planning on coming over in the near future anyway.

I'm a little surprised how well everyone took the news [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i really dont understand why gunnar would giveup the chance to play for a team trending in the right direction? have there been any interviews with gunnar or bertschy?

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
Interesting. I wonder why Phillips never joined Granlund on his skating sessions last offseason.

Maybe because he lives in Finland? You can do the same thing here, it just how much you wanna put in to it.

Puckcrazy51

Feb 28, 2014
Iowa, season ticket holder, dont post alot but thought once in awhile when something comes up relevant to "our" guys that I may.
Phillips skating although I hadnt seen him before is good, not great, but Id say above average for the AHL, I used to time my shifts so I could go to practices somedays and will say in fairness to the young man that most days he stayed late(along with a few others) and worked with steve poapst on skating. This guy I beleive is going to be a better than average NHL'er.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Iowa, season ticket holder, dont post alot but thought once in awhile when something comes up relevant to "our" guys that I may.
Phillips skating although I hadnt seen him before is good, not great, but Id say above average for the AHL, I used to time my shifts so I could go to practices somedays and will say in fairness to the young man that most days he stayed late(along with a few others) and worked with steve poapst on skating. This guy I beleive is going to be a better than average NHL'er.

I was bigger on Saad and Rattie when we called his name, but he wasn't that far down my list on draft day, either. I feel his offensive "struggles" have been mainly due to being new to the pros, and to being on a very offensively challenged team. The guy is a playmaker with very few people to finish for him by all accounts. I don't really see a good reason to call him a bust, or to give up on him. I didn't realize his skating had come along so well, thanks for the update.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Anyone think we should just pair Phillips and Coyle up again and see how they roll?

Send down Coyle or call up Phillips?

Coyle should have been in Iowa this past season. Phillips has a long way to go to make the NHL.

As for Dumba, he's turning 20. Shouldn't touch NHL ice for another 1-2 years.

Look at the guys he was compared to:

PK Subban spent four years in juniors and a year in the AHL. He didn't make the NHL until 21.

Dion Phaneuf spent four years in juniors. He made the NHL at 20, but he was also a physical beast.

Niklas Kronwal spent four years in Sweden and two years in the minors. He made the NHL at 24.

Dumba should have been in juniors all year, then spend 1-2 years in the AHL. People should be screaming about him spending TOO much time in the minors, not wondering if he's ready! And that's how it should be for almost all your prospects.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Send down Coyle or call up Phillips?

Coyle should have been in Iowa this past season. Phillips has a long way to go to make the NHL.

As for Dumba, he's turning 20. Shouldn't touch NHL ice for another 1-2 years.

Look at the guys he was compared to:

PK Subban spent four years in juniors and a year in the AHL. He didn't make the NHL until 21.

Dion Phaneuf spent four years in juniors. He made the NHL at 20, but he was also a physical beast.

Niklas Kronwal spent four years in Sweden and two years in the minors. He made the NHL at 24.

Dumba should have been in juniors all year, then spend 1-2 years in the AHL. People should be screaming about him spending TOO much time in the minors, not wondering if he's ready! And that's how it should be for almost all your prospects.

Coyle should most definently stayed on Iowa if it wasnt for our lack of top 6 talent.

Keeping Dumba down letting him develop is the wisest thing to do, specially defenders. Brodin was an exception rather then the rule...

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
People just need to have a little patience.

Everybody is saying now that Haula is amazing, Phillips is a bum. Haula was drafted 2 years before Phillips. 2 years ago Haula was in the NCAA, an inferior league compared to the AHL, and on a team that was relevatively much better than Phillips played on this season.

At Phillips always was a project. It may take him 4 AHL season to find his professional game, but that is not a bad thing. We are going to need a guy like him in 2 years.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Next year is make or break for Phillips. He's going to be 22. Haula was 22 last year, scored 0.45 gpg and 0.87 ppg. Phillips had 0.16 gpg and 0.43 ppg. So Haula was actually over twice as productive. Haula also has elite speed whereas Phillips is not. Very uphill battle for him.

He could be a poor man's Matt Moulson maybe...

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Next year is make or break for Phillips. He's going to be 22. Haula was 22 last year, scored 0.45 gpg and 0.87 ppg. Phillips had 0.16 gpg and 0.43 ppg. So Haula was actually over twice as productive. Haula also has elite speed whereas Phillips is not. Very uphill battle for him.

He could be a poor man's Matt Moulson maybe...

His NHL comparison when he was drafted was Andrew Brunette, who Moulson has been compared to on several occasions. So that would be just fine by me.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I always get a kick out of comments such as "He didn't do well, he's a bust."

Did Michael Jordan not make the high school team? Did Herb Brooks not get kicked off the 60s team?

I don't care if people/kids fail. What I do care about is if they give up and if they learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad