Status
Not open for further replies.

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
Pos|Name|Ht|Wt|Age|League|Team|GP|G|A|Pts|PIM|+/-|GP|W|GAA|Save|SO
R| Avery Peterson (X) |6'2|200|18.9|USHL|Sioux City Musketeers|12|3|5|8|2|3||||
C| Avery Peterson (X) |6'2|200|18.9|MNHS|Grand Rapids Griffins|27|37|30|67||||||

Oh no! Mr. hockey has somehow been picked up by Detroit and stuck in the AHL!!;)

Tried for about 10 minutes just to cut everything out except for the Avery Peterson stat line but it wouldn't let me so sorry about the long quote

Last edited by a moderator:

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
If anybody missed it, hockey's future finally adding prospect ratings for Brassart(6.5D), Folin(6.5C), and Mitchell(7.0D).

Folin seems quite low. It's widely known/said by pundits that Folin would be able to play on the third pairing now with likelihood of being a second pairing guy. To me that says something like 7.5C, 7.0B - not 6.5C. I know i'm arguing over the smallest thing possible here but it seemed to stand out to me.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I dislike the HF ratings system. They rate the potential then assign a letter that indicates how likely the prospect is to reach that potential. Then they update it the next year/season as if something has changed. Still the same player with the same potential.

If they're a 6.5B in 2013, they shouldn't be an 8.0D in 2014.

I dunno, maybe just being finicky, but HF grades hold too much water. And they grade prospects like Pitchfork rates albums.

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
I dislike the HF ratings system. They rate the potential then assign a letter that indicates how likely the prospect is to reach that potential. Then they update it the next year/season as if something has changed. Still the same player with the same potential.

If they're a 6.5B in 2013, they shouldn't be an 8.0D in 2014.

I dunno, maybe just being finicky, but HF grades hold too much water. And they grade prospects like Pitchfork rates albums.

I completely agree. Players never have potentials change. Everybody has a max potential, nobody exceeds it, they just misread it. A guy who is at 7.5C potential should always stay there as he could drop 2 ratings and become a 5.5 which would be a 4th liner if I'm right.

So basically what I'm getting at is that Hf should leave the potential alone (except for maybe a guy who they listed at like 6C who is looking like he might be a Zach Parise)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Everything I've seen on this forum about Folin is massively overrating the kid. People seem to think he's going to be a high end second pairing defenseman within a year or two. He has a shot, but I'm not counting on him.

Until otherwise proven, I think of him like Dekeyser; 2nd best guy on the 2nd pairing potential. Potential being the key word.

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
Matt Dumba

15 games: 4 goals, 9 assists, 13 points, +22. I think the plus 22 is good news, that leads the team.

That +22 shows how good and responsible he is on both ends of the ice. I was a little skeptical of him at first, but now I'm thinking that maybe he is the right handed defenseman who in 2 years will be able to log top 2 minutes with Suter. Unfortunately Suter will be aging when Dumba is finally ready to play that role and we will be looking for the next shutdown 30+minute defender.

Death of Rats

Jan 28, 2012
Blashyrkh
That +22 shows how good and responsible he is on both ends of the ice. I was a little skeptical of him at first, but now I'm thinking that maybe he is the right handed defenseman who in 2 years will be able to log top 2 minutes with Suter. Unfortunately Suter will be aging when Dumba is finally ready to play that role and we will be looking for the next shutdown 30+minute defender.

Shouldn't Brodin be able take over after Suter needs to be demoted to second pairing?

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

Brodin should be out #1 D once Suter slows down enough that he is no longer #1.

Let Dumba develop in the AHL as long as he needs to.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I'd like to see Brodin - Dumba -pairing in the future. It's just too logical.

Either way, our future (in 2+ years) looks fine re: D, even if all of our prospects don't pan out:

Suter - Folin/FA
Brodin - Dumba
Scandella - Spurgeon
Olofsson, Blum, Stoner etc.

And for the record, no, I'm not penciling Folin as a sure-fire #2 D-man, I'm just saying that is a position he could and should aim for. Brodin - Dumba would be a solid second pairing and Scandella - Spurgeon would be a 2B in that scenario. It would also even up the minutes to something like 24-20-16.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
compare Pouliot's stats compared to Dumba's. both 16 games

Pouliot: 4 goals, 24 assists, 28 pts, +8

Dumba: 4 goals, 10 assists, 14 pts, +24

Which player or stats would you rather have?? The answer may be obvious or not, the choice is yours.

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
compare Pouliot's stats compared to Dumba's. both 16 games

Pouliot: 4 goals, 24 assists, 28 pts, +8

Dumba: 4 goals, 10 assists, 14 pts, +24

Which player or stats would you rather have?? The answer may be obvious or not, the choice is yours.

But Pouliot is what he is. An offensive defenseman. It's kind of like comparing apples to oranges. But then again not really as we get to pick whether we want the apple or the orange.

This probably makes no sense to anyone but me though :handclap:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Pouliot was off the board before we chose Dumba, so we can't really imagine "what if" scenarios of picking him. Trouba, however...

tomthestone*

Pouliot was off the board before we chose Dumba, so we can't really imagine "what if" scenarios of picking him. Trouba, however...

Wrong. I'm big on Dumba and glad the Wild chose him, but Pouliot was taken one pick behind Dumba.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Wrong. I'm big on Dumba and glad the Wild chose him, but Pouliot was taken one pick behind Dumba.

What he meant was that Pouliot was a big reach at #8. Nobody thought that he would go that high.

For next season let Dumba play his own game whether he is AHL or NHL. We need a player with his skillset and I hope he can reach his potential.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'd like to see Dumba, Olofsson, and Folin all start in the AHL next year. If one of them is mind-blowingly awesome, sure, come up. But a contender shouldn't pin their hopes on a kid coming out of nowhere to make the team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I want to see Dumba shooting from the point on the PP instead of Poms.

I think the future is bright. Lots of young talent at all positions, though nothing earthshaking. Goalie is a bit of ?, but a healthy Backstrom or Harding could help there a lot. I think our front office has done a very good job resuscitating this talent base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad