2012 re-draft

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
The D are pretty good from this draft. The top 2 forwards taken have been garbage. If Forsberg repeats last seasons play he could be in the conversation for top spot.

I would go

Lindholm
Trouba
Reilly
Forsberg
Maatta/Murray

(if Murray was healthier Im sure he would be in the top 3, tough to get injured in your development years)

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
lol @ calling yak a bust, wait and see

Getting tire of waiting......long time to wait for a first over to show it. Rnh and hall managed to persevere and succeed in edm.

Looking forward to him becoming the next Chris Kunitz for mccrosby to bounce pucks off of into the net. Bloated next contract is on deck!

flamesforcup*

Getting tire of waiting......long time to wait for a first over to show it. Rnh and hall managed to persevere and succeed in edm.

Looking forward to him becoming the next Chris Kunitz for mccrosby to bounce pucks off of into the net. Bloated next contract is on deck!

yakupov>nylander

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton

Yak is 21 haha. He'll be fine. Kid works hard. He had Eakins as his coach for most of his NHL career! Nuff said.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
I have a feeling that when all those D hit their primes, this draft will be coveted. Def looks weak on forward talent though, for sure.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
To be fair reilly isn't insulated on a good team like most of the other top d
And has been pretty good for us with back to back 29 point seasons and has been improving his game all round

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
How is Reilly so low? Behind Girgensons really. Reilly is up there with Lindholm and Trouba and has just as good a shot at the Norris, smae goes for Maata. Girgensons looks like he wont be a true #1 and more like a solid #2. TT should be higher that Girgensons since the Hawks have developed him slow and hes looking like hes going to be elite.

I don't see Reilly as being up there with Lindholm and Trouba at all. He might have the best offensive upside of the group, but not by much and not close to the all-around game those two have.

As far as rankings for Maata/Girgensons vs Reilly/TT, again, I mentioned it's a question of whether someone wants a risk but possibly greater payoff, or a safer pick that's a better player now. Either way, I see the top-2 (Trouba and Lindholm) being way ahead of everyone else (though their order is certainly debatable), then 3 and 4 IMO are similarly well defined right now, and only after that is the risk/reward trade-off a big effect on rankings. Reilly could just as easily be 5th on my list if that makes you feel better, but I absolutely don't consider putting him any higher than that.

Of course, it's still very early. So when I say the top-2 and to a lesser extent the top-4 is well in the lead, it's always possible someone else will emerge.

To be fair reilly isn't insulated on a good team like most of the other top d
And has been pretty good for us with back to back 29 point seasons and has been improving his game all round

Trouba actually carries the worst LHD on the team in Mark Stuart. Stuart is a blackhole of possession. Not even Byfuglien, who is an advanced stats wizard, could make Stuart look serviceable in recent years. Stuart made Bogosian look like a brain-dead bottom-pairing D who couldn't do anything but turn the puck over. If anything, Trouba insulates Byfuglien and (especially) Myers by taking all the D-zone starts and PK time, and with the worst partner.

Suggesting that Trouba and Lindholm were insulated while Reilly wasn't is absurd:
In terms of rankings on their respective teams (i.e. usage):
in Corsi QoC: Reilly (6th), Lindholm (5th), Trouba (3rd)
in ES OZS%: Reilly (6th), Lindholm (6th), Trouba (6th)
ES TOI: Reilly (4th), Lindholm (2nd), Trouba (3rd)
PP TOI: Reilly (3rd), Lindholm (4th), Trouba (4th)
PK TOI: Reilly (6th), Lindholm (2nd), Trouba (1st)

At ES they all faced the least % of OZS on their teams, with Trouba deployed against tougher competition and Lindholm for more minutes - Reilly was the most sheltered of the 3, though none was heavily sheltered relative to their age. As far as how they performed, Reilly had the 4th best Corsi on his team, while Lindholm's was 4th and Trouba's was 1st.

Reilly averaged 30 seconds more of PP time than Trouba and >50 seconds more than Lindholm. Reilly played almost no PK time - his ranking would actually be worse but I excluded replacement level players (<15 GP), but it's somewhat telling that 3 of them were used more than Reilly.

Undoubtedly, Reilly was the most sheltered of the 3. This isn't to say Reilly is heavily sheltered - he's still logging a lot of minutes and being deployed outside the offensive zone a lot - but you can't pull the weak excuse of him being sheltered less than Trouba and Lindholm. Quantitatively everything points to the opposite.

Reilly is developing nicely but nothing currently suggests he should be considered with Trouba and Lindholm, both of whom are playing huge roles on good teams (and are big parts of why their teams are good). With how much these rankings differ from the actual draft, Leaf fans should be happy they didn't get one of the guys that has fallen instead of taking it personally that other people prefer players that have shot up the rankings.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I don't see why people are getting so upset at the notion of this being a weak draft. It clearly is a weak draft. Sure there will be very good players from this draft class, but there is every draft class. Nobody drafted in the top 5 has been great. Not saying Yak won't bounce back or the others won't turn into stars but usually at least 1 top 5 guy or more breakout by 3 seasons in.

I like the Leafs pick in Rielly and feel he has the potential to be one of the best players from the draft. Lindholm and Trouba right now have perhaps been the best. Forsberg had a great season too.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Gonna do a top 20:

Galchenyuk
Forsberg
Trouba
Lindholm
Murray
Rielly
Yakupov
Hertl
Maatta
Ceci
Girgensons
Reinhart
Vasilevskiy
Andersen
Pearson
Severson
Dumba
Teravainen
Grigorenko
Wilson

It's based a bit on what they've done and a bit less on where I think they'll end up.

Good list. I would move Forsberg down a spot or two, but I have no big issues with that list.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I'll attempt a re-mock. Based on a combination of production and my belief that they're develop more. This is going to be a bad list and in a few years it'll look even worse I imagine.

1. Trouba- I'm not his biggest fan mostly because I think hf overrates him. Won't hold that against him, he's been very good thus far and should only get even better.

2. Forsberg- Perhaps I'm basing too much on his rookie season, but not a lot of players really stand out this draft and I like his game a lot.

3. Lindholm- Prob the player I've been most impressed with so far.

4. Galchenyuk- I see a lot of Habs games and while I think he's been a bit underwhelming overall I think he'll be fine

5. Rielly- I loved the pick at the time and still do. I will say the Leafs fans on this site IMO overrate him. Doesn't change the fact I think he will be a great defenseman.

6. Yakupov- I think he got thrust into a terrible situation but at the same time he hasn't given me many reasons to be confident. With the Oils management changing and them on the right track he has no reason to not flourish. I could def see him bouncing back and being considered the best from the draft.

7. Murray- Stay healthy

8. Maataa- Perhaps could have been higher. Regardless, he is very good. Not much more to say. Was hoping Leafs would get him in the Kessel deal but Pittsburgh isn't that dumb.

9. Teravainen- He'll have a great team around him and he should develop nicely into a core player for Chicago

10. Vasilevskiy- Should become a top tier goalie

11. Ceci- I wouldn't say he's underrated anymore but def overshadowed by some other great young players in Ottawa

was just gonna do top 10, but I love Ceci so added him

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
When all is said and done, Severson will be considered a top three dman from the draft. Just doesn't get the recognition because he wasn't a first rounder

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
When all is said and done, Severson will be considered a top three dman from the draft. Just doesn't get the recognition because he wasn't a first rounder

This draft class lacks scoring but the defense has been rock solid. Gonna be tough for him to catapult into the top 3 with Trouba, Lindholm, Rielly, Maataa, Ceci, Murray, Pouliot, Schmaltz, etc

Not saying he won't but there are some potential star defensemen in this draft

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
This draft class lacks scoring but the defense has been rock solid. Gonna be tough for him to catapult into the top 3 with Trouba, Lindholm, Rielly, Maataa, Ceci, Murray, Pouliot, Schmaltz, etc

Not saying he won't but there are some potential star defensemen in this draft

:nod:

And goalies. You just had to steer clear of the forwards in this draft.

Hear that, Capitals? You did well.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Something that tends to be overlooked when it comes to this draft.

Vasilevskiy
Hellebuyck
Murray
Gillies
Subban
Andersen*

Andersen was re-drafted after refusing to sign with Carolina. The other 5 are all very high ranking goalie prospects however.

Goalie prospects are still kind of a crap-shoot though. Andersen is the only one who has proven anything at the NHL level. Even when you get someone like Hellebuyck who starts to garner a lot of attention after they've been drafted, there's still a really long way to go before they establish themselves in the NHL, and it's far from a guarantee that they actually will make something of themselves. There are so many examples of highly hyped goalie prospects falling flat, whether it's pre-draft hype or post-draft hype.

The D group is where I think this draft stands out. A lot have already shown something in the big leagues and D-men are notoriously more slow to develop relative to forwards.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Still way too early to be judging 2012 draft or even 2011. 5 years is a good timeline for evaluating any draft and so far it's been three.

Four of the five picks my team took in the first five rounds of that 2012 draft to me looks like a good player with very high (i.e. top 4D / #1G / Top 6 C) upside and the ability to realize the upside, but their combined total NHL games played is a grand total of one.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL

Severson is already a steal at 60th overall but he has a really long way to go to catch the defensemen at the top of this draft class. Severson isn't even where Trouba/Lindholm/Reilly/Maatta were after their rookie seasons, most of whom have now played more than twice as many games, all with tougher minutes and scoring at a higher rate. That is why he doesn't get recognition: he hasn't earned it.

If Severson even manages to be the 5th best, he'll have to surpass guys like Murray, Ceci, Pouliot and Dumba, all of whom could be very good players. Admittedly, I probably shouldn't have put Reinhart in my ranking at all, I just didn't want to make a top 14.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
As a Leaf fan, Rielly is getting quite overrated by our fanbase (while Gardiner is becoming underrated). The majority of Leafs fans are penciling him as a future, 50+ point, #1 D-man and future captain. Don't see it. Great, explosive skater with very good puck skills but he has a putrid shot. Not that many good offensive D-man have bad shots - Duncan Keith is a rare exception. Defensively is very raw and gets outmuscled along the boards all the time. Hockey IQ is not nearly as good as Leafs fans make it out to be. See a #2 PMD at best and probably won't even be that good IMO. Trouba is a much better player currently and going forward and I don't think Ceci is that much behind him.

1. Trouba
2. Galchenyuk
3. Forsberg
4. Lindholm
5. Maata
6. Murray
7. Teravainen
8. Severson
9. Rielly
10. Girgensons

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
It's funny how this draft is seen as underwhelming now. Back when the Avs traded their first for Varly we were told we're idiots because this was the "deepest draft since 03." Lot of good defense is this draft though.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Gonna do a top 20:

Galchenyuk
Forsberg
Trouba
Lindholm
Murray
Rielly
Yakupov
Hertl
Maatta
Ceci
Girgensons
Reinhart
Vasilevskiy
Andersen
Pearson
Severson
Dumba
Teravainen
Grigorenko
Wilson

It's based a bit on what they've done and a bit less on where I think they'll end up.

Wow what a horrrible draft this was. Was it supposed to be this bad? I know it wasn't considered as good at the top as most years.

Also-just a nitpick, you have Vasilevsky criminally low.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
I don't think this is a terrible draft. It just lacks top-end players IMO. Outside of Trouba, I don't see any potential "franchise" players, but it looks like there are definitely a lot of good, potential top-6 forwards, top-4 D-man and goalies so far. Relatively "deep" in that sense. Best looking D-crop since 2008 as well. Also kind of dumb to call a draft "weak" only three years after. Hell, Yakupov could score 40 goals next year and make us all look like idiots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad