20-21 season: how will the NHL pull it off?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Any specifics on the NBA using a bubble or multiple bubbles? I don’t see how it’ll work at all during Winter-COVID

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Bill Daly still shooting for a Jan 1st season start. Obviously lots of work to do but next 7-10 days expect to see a lot of stuff coming out

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Bill Daly still shooting for a Jan 1st season start. Obviously lots of work to do but next 7-10 days expect to see a lot of stuff coming out
In the early summer when the NHL was in limbo it was the same as now. Very quiet. The NHL wasn't saying much .... the playoffs in a bubble didn't look promising at all, then came a series of announcements changing everything.
The logistics are far different this time to get the upcoming NHL season in but hopefully, we'll hear some concrete plans before December.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I see zero chance the NBA or NHL has a full season. It's hard enough for the NFL who only travels and plays one game a week. It will be almost impossible to pull off, playing and traveling a few times a week.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Boqvist traveled back to Chicago so I don’t know if that means something is in the works and more players might start reporting to their cities in the coming weeks or not.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I see zero chance the NBA or NHL has a full season. It's hard enough for the NFL who only travels and plays one game a week. It will be almost impossible to pull off, playing and traveling a few times a week.

NBA is doing 72 games starting the 22nd of December. Close enough to the real thing.

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
I can't see 72 games starting 1/1 unless they play until the end of June and then start the playoffs. Even at that rate, that's 3 games a week for 6 months. That would be a brutal schedule.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I can't see 72 games starting 1/1 unless they play until the end of June and then start the playoffs. Even at that rate, that's 3 games a week for 6 months. That would be a brutal schedule.

No chance. ~50 regular season games and hope like hell that they can get back to a semblance of a normal season in '21-22.

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
No chance. ~50 regular season games and hope like hell that they can get back to a semblance of a normal season in '21-22.
Even 50 is a stretch, but could be done I guess if the players agree. 40 is more realistic as long as we have no lockdowns this winter.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Even 50 is a stretch, but could be done I guess if the players agree. 40 is more realistic as long as we have no lockdowns this winter.

Everyone's getting a haircut. The league and the PA are gonna do their damndest to maximize revenues. #1 on that list is product for their carriers.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Are you living under a rock? Pfizer just announced their vaccine has ~90% efficacy. Yes, this winter is going to be bad. But this isn't going to continue ad infinitum.
Don't trust it will be available and proven safe until late 2022 at the earliest.
Anything else is potentially criminally irresponsible. Two months is not enough time to prove long-term safety. There's a reason why vaccines take 4-5 years at best and 10+ years to develop on average.

Reactions: Pertti

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Don't trust it will be available and proven safe until late 2022 at the earliest.
Anything else is potentially criminally irresponsible. Two months is not enough time to prove long-term safety. There's a reason why vaccines take 4-5 years at best and 10+ years to develop on average.

ok, then

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I'm guessing we will see a Season like 12-13 and About 50 games. It's possible, it would please all the deals with Sponsors and the TV deal. I'd think About early february as start with a Format of Divsion(s) only during that time.

Reactions: Crow

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
It's not looking good, at all.

But I imagine there's some very real incentive among the owners and GMs to burn that year off of player contracts so something will be done and we'll see at least 48 games.
Fans in the stands? Doubtful. Maybe 25% capacity if we're lucky.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
It's not looking good, at all.

But I imagine there's some very real incentive among the owners and GMs to burn that year off of player contracts so something will be done and we'll see at least 48 games.
Fans in the stands? Doubtful. Maybe 25% capacity if we're lucky.

I don't believe contracts slide if the season is cancelled. Instead, the players don't get paid and they lose a year of their contracts. But please, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I know signing bonuses are paid even in lockout seasons, so perhaps they would have to pay that?

Another question I have, there's a lot of talk about summer Olympics in Tokyo in July. Do we know if that's happening? I mean will the vaccine be broadly rolled out by then?

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Most of the covid vaccines in development are being built upon the foundations of the work towards a sars vaccine from last decade. They weren’t starting from square one.

Reactions: BK

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Take it however but both the ducks and devils have Lundestrom and Boqvist, Jesper from their teams in the shl. The 7 teams that weren’t apart of the covid bubble will be allowed to start camp a full week before everyone else.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

China's Sinovac vaccine is safe, Brazil institute says

May be risky but they're not gonna wait until 2022. Several candidates in phase 3 already. Brazil is expecting to approve Chinese Sinovac vaccine by the end of the year and launch distribution in February. That vaccine is already available in China with no reported issues.

You're right that nobody knows about the long term effects of those vaccines but most of those currently in phase 3 are probably gonna be available this winter already. I wouldn't see that as the end of covid though because most people probably don't want any part of those vaccines and nobody knows for how long it will protect us and how strong the protection is gonna be. Those trials are being done with young, healthy people but what about kids, or, most importantly, older and sick people. How safe is it for them, how efficient will the vaccines protect them?

So yeah. Vaccines are coming quickly but does it solve anything? I don't see it. At least not anytime soon. I don't see how you could play an NHL season in a situation like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad