20-21 season: how will the NHL pull it off?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Lockdiwns do not wok...shown scientifically...always cane too late...at vestcsome delay to eventual transmission ...cause tge viruszwill do what it will do..but tge Net Harms of lockdiwns vastly outweigh tge benefits of such artificial delays ...the idea was to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed ...but a strange thing has happened...mortality and severity rates for Covid 19 have Not matched the (Expected ) "2nd wave" spike s in cases (or more correctly the seasonal effect fir respiratory problem hospitalizations .....so it is not clear if Covid patients Due to tge Virus itself,are tgexsoke cause of any hospiital overburden this falk-winter season but rather possibly starting to see the effect of tge collateral damage net harms caused by lockdowbs in taking up non-ICU beds for other reasons than the Covid virus itself and tgat removes beds from Covid admitted patients (test positives( who are not severe enough forctge ICU.

What we do not know is if flu patients are causing Ny higher burden than expected or lower burden than what was expected nor how many patients in hospital were not Covid pisitivexwhen admitted but got pisitive while admitted...

But if the spike in falk-wibtwr cases (expected) for Covid 19 is not showing tge same high mortality rateszas in March April and tge treatments are better and the hospital stays shorter for Covid patients now...then if ICU capacity levels are a problem now or overall hospital beds are a problem now for capacity this fLk-winter(not sure if tgeycare but the dire warnings of doom from Covid spikes seen ti tell tge public to flatten tgat curve again ( then tge capacity issuesxcoukd very well be eitger from other medical problems tgan just Covid 19 or more likely starting to see tge effect of tge collateral damage from lockdowns...We know for instance that drug overdoses cases are way up ...how many beds now occupied by that excess number?What about tge heart and cancer issue patients whose treatment got pushed off by covid measures in hizpitalsxearluer this year?Are they needing h hospitalization now?And arectgey getting Covid while in hospital now?

My point is tgere seems to be sone cognitive dissonance going on ...when you get the expected falk-winterslije in cases yet much lower severity length of stay and much less mortality than in the initial "1st wave" in the spring...but we all knew that tge collateral damage from kocjdowns woukd eventualkyvshow up in taking up hospital beds and death rates for other than covid patients going up.

Adding more lickdown would be increasing tge collateral dMage forctgese otgernecessary care need patients...

Also tgere is NO WAY a society can remaining permanent licjdown..

Also why tge spike in cassAfter masks rules and very hogh mask wearing g acceptance in use for months and months now before tge 2nd wave exkected anyway spikes?

It shows tgat masks hardly a barrier to transmission but perhaps tgey decrease severityby reducing tge amount of viral load getting into a target ...

That is tge only conjecture you can determine by logic...Masjs did not prevent expected fLk-wi ter slikebut if severity is less tgan it was in the spring 1st wave thenyou might credit maks with helping in that ...Or severity coukd be down for other reasons...the virusvitself changed or simply the treatnentsxare better now...whatever. the combination of less severity/mortality for ovid patients plus tge collateral damage negatives together are reasons we shoukd Not go to lockdown again

It only will make things a lot worse over time.
As to Pfizer's 90% effective vaccibe and when it gets deployed....I have pisted earlier on tge strange fact tgat tge Pfizer CEO sold 62% of his stock in tge company the day after they made the announcement of the miracle vaccine.

That makes no sense to me...It shoukd be a cash cow for Pfizer so why sell stock?

Pfizer dividends shoukdcrose...so if this is the miracle cure,why sell?

You have to suspect something is wrong i this occurs!

DesperateBeliever

Jun 16, 2019
Lockdiwns do not wok...shown scientifically...always cane too late...at vestcsome delay to eventual transmission ...cause tge viruszwill do what it will do..but tge Net Harms of lockdiwns vastly outweigh tge benefits of such artificial delays ...the idea was to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed ...but a strange thing has happened...mortality and severity rates for Covid 19 have Not matched the (Expected ) "2nd wave" spike s in cases (or more correctly the seasonal effect fir respiratory problem hospitalizations .....so it is not clear if Covid patients Due to tge Virus itself,are tgexsoke cause of any hospiital overburden this falk-winter season but rather possibly starting to see the effect of tge collateral damage net harms caused by lockdowbs in taking up non-ICU beds for other reasons than the Covid virus itself and tgat removes beds from Covid admitted patients (test positives( who are not severe enough forctge ICU.

Tell that to Melbourne. It wasn't easy and there were a lot of mistakes, but things are opening up and they've had more than 2 weeks of no cases now. It took the will of the people and the state government to get it done though. People largely worked together and complied despite disagreement.

Joemoe

Aug 3, 2015
Tell that to Melbourne. It wasn't easy and there were a lot of mistakes, but things are opening up and they've had more than 2 weeks of no cases now. It took the will of the people and the state government to get it done though. People largely worked together and complied despite disagreement.
Seeing things like this makes me embarrassed to be an American.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Seeing things like this makes me embarrassed to be an American.

Nah. Lockdowns don't work. There'll be another wave in Melbourne and it's gonna hit even harder than the last one. Then what are they gonna do? A 3rd lockdown? Good luck with that.

The more you lock people up, the more they're gonna go out and meet people once the lockdown is over. And unless you're an island with the ability to lock yourself up from the outside world, it's only a matter of time until the numbers start mounting again.

Also don't forget that you shouldn't just count covid cases. Covid restrictions, and lockdowns in particular, get people to not wanting to see doctors even if they should. A friend of mine just lost his father who, afraid of catching covid, didn't call for help for four days after suffering a heart attack in Italy. Also, covid restrictions increase the risk of people suffering from depressions or even committing suicide significantly. Numbers of domestic violence problems mounting skywards, too.

Also don't forget that most people catch covid either at home or at work...so mini lockdowns are completely useless. If you lock down, you need a neverending one like Melbourne did...and by christmas and new year at the very latest they're gonna be exactly where they were before. Worth all the trouble? Don't think so.

And I haven't even talked about money.

Reactions: Pertti

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Nah. Lockdowns don't work. There'll be another wave in Melbourne and it's gonna hit even harder than the last one. Then what are they gonna do? A 3rd lockdown? Good luck with that.

The more you lock people up, the more they're gonna go out and meet people once the lockdown is over. And unless you're an island with the ability to lock yourself up from the outside world, it's only a matter of time until the numbers start mounting again.

Also don't forget that you shouldn't just count covid cases. Covid restrictions, and lockdowns in particular, get people to not wanting to see doctors even if they should. A friend of mine just lost his father who, afraid of catching covid, didn't call for help for four days after suffering a heart attack in Italy. Also, covid restrictions increase the risk of people suffering from depressions or even committing suicide significantly. Numbers of domestic violence problems mounting skywards, too.

Also don't forget that most people catch covid either at home or at work...so mini lockdowns are completely useless. If you lock down, you need a neverending one like Melbourne did...and by christmas and new year at the very latest they're gonna be exactly where they were before. Worth all the trouble? Don't think so.

And I haven't even talked about money.
Tell this to the german or austrian Government. Pretty sure you'll get mixed Reviews on this one.

Those Lockdowns aren't to win against covid, it's About Winning time.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Tell this to the german or austrian Government. Pretty sure you'll get mixed Reviews on this one.

Those Lockdowns aren't to win against covid, it's About Winning time.

Maybe. But again. If you look at those areas doing lockdowns, you can see that they're getting hit way harder by the following waves and that's gonna get their health systems to collapse, too. I don't think lockdowns actually solve anything unless you have a good plan how to control covid afterwards. 99% of the areas doing lockdowns fail to do exactly that and get hit by boomerang effects.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Maybe. But again. If you look at those areas doing lockdowns, you can see that they're getting hit way harder by the following waves and that's gonna get their health systems to collapse, too. I don't think lockdowns actually solve anything unless you have a good plan how to control covid afterwards. 99% of the areas doing lockdowns fail to do exactly that and get hit by boomerang effects.
Germany disagrees with you. It's the flu Season coming back, that's what hit everybody. This combined with the fact that People got careless and lazy with the rules to protect themself and others.

You can't Control a Virus like Covid. All it does is buying time, getting prepared and have more Knowledge. This will lead to a world that can exist with Covid-19 as it does with influenza.
Nobody knows what is the rightfully way to handle the Pandemic, we'll see what Government was Right or Wrong with it's decisions.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Germany disagrees with you. It's the flu Season coming back, that's what hit everybody. This combined with the fact that People got careless and lazy with the rules to protect themself and others.

You can't Control a Virus like Covid. All it does is buying time, getting prepared and have more Knowledge. This will lead to a world that can exist with Covid-19 as it does with influenza.
Nobody knows what is the rightfully way to handle the Pandemic, we'll see what Government was Right or Wrong with it's decisions.

I agree with you. Still. Only few of those areas who did lockdowns didn't get even harder by further waves. Overall, the areas using more subtle and steady approaches to fight the virus have done better.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Bittman should petition the U S. And Canadian Governments that NHL provides"an essential service" in that Millions of NHL fans are indeed depression and stress levels way up leading to drug use,increased heart attacks,domestic violence up etc...you know ..."collateral damage" from the mere denial of the diversion of hockey games to ease back to some required level of normal...

Therefore the NHL players must get 2nd dibds for tge vaccines....after frontline Covid medical staff workers at hospitals and after staff and seniors in care homes....of course...but BEFORE the "General Public" gets the vaccines available to them...less so for Baseball,NBA and NFL players because their leagues have such rich TV deals they can operate without fans in a bubble(NBA) orbout of a bubble (NFL and MLB) forever if need be...notvso the NHL...its tv deal not enough to cover player salary costs and other operating expenses.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I don't really get your question as I wasn't talking about specific examples.

I'm not against lockdowns...when the first covid cases in Italy started popping up I was actually one of those in favour of closing boarders and I was in favour of a lockdown when we had our first cases. However, based on infection numbers in Europe and what I've learned about this virus in hindsight I'm actually happy we haven't done a lockdown here in Switzerland. At least no hard one.

Our authorities messed up badly after doing very well at first. Things started to go south as soon as our leading state epidemiologist went into retirement. Our covid numbers were back to almost zero when he retired. The man was very smart, shutting down quickly, not allowing gatherings and asking people not to wear masks. It worked and numbers went down quickly.
Sadly, his replacement turned out to be a total idiot, allowing large gatherings like events with over 10'000 people and replacing social distancing with masks. He stepped down already after a few months but damage is already done and authorities are still following his course. The one thing I agree with those idiots however is that a lockdown can't be an option for us. I also agree with the reason why they don't want to lock down despite high infection numbers. What you want is steady hospitalisation numbers and by locking down you risk a jojo effect. That boomerang is gonna hit you even harder if you're not able to ensure it doesn't happen. Israel or Austria are good examples but there are others.

Lockdowns do make sense for countries like New Zealand however who are either an island or have the ability to control borders efficiently. Otherwise you may be limiting infections for a certain time frame but the boomerang is gonna hit even harder once the virus is brought back to within your borders because your neighbours may not be quite in the same situation as you.

As stated previously, lockdowns and other restrictive covid rules do cost lives, not just those dying from covid. So when deciding whether to lock down or not, covid numbers shouldn't be the only ones you're interested about.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

Sucks to be the Wild, lol.

Ok, hear me out. Like my stupidly optimistic side thinks this isn't terrible for us. Detroit is a weaker team and don't we have a crazy good record against the Penguins? Like we almost always beat them. I feel like we can handle Florida and CBJ fine and Nashville's on a downswing. If, if, if our goaltending could just be average, it won't be a soul crushing season.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I don't really get your question as I wasn't talking about specific examples.

I'm not against lockdowns...when the first covid cases in Italy started popping up I was actually one of those in favour of closing boarders and I was in favour of a lockdown when we had our first cases. However, based on infection numbers in Europe and what I've learned about this virus in hindsight I'm actually happy we haven't done a lockdown here in Switzerland. At least no hard one.

Our authorities messed up badly after doing very well at first. Things started to go south as soon as our leading state epidemiologist went into retirement. Our covid numbers were back to almost zero when he retired. The man was very smart, shutting down quickly, not allowing gatherings and asking people not to wear masks. It worked and numbers went down quickly.
Sadly, his replacement turned out to be a total idiot, allowing large gatherings like events with over 10'000 people and replacing social distancing with masks. He stepped down already after a few months but damage is already done and authorities are still following his course. The one thing I agree with those idiots however is that a lockdown can't be an option for us. I also agree with the reason why they don't want to lock down despite high infection numbers. What you want is steady hospitalisation numbers and by locking down you risk a jojo effect. That boomerang is gonna hit you even harder if you're not able to ensure it doesn't happen. Israel or Austria are good examples but there are others.

Lockdowns do make sense for countries like New Zealand however who are either an island or have the ability to control borders efficiently. Otherwise you may be limiting infections for a certain time frame but the boomerang is gonna hit even harder once the virus is brought back to within your borders because your neighbours may not be quite in the same situation as you.

As stated previously, lockdowns and other restrictive covid rules do cost lives, not just those dying from covid. So when deciding whether to lock down or not, covid numbers shouldn't be the only ones you're interested about.

That is the very attitude that helped get the U.S. where it is. It is now very late in the game and the irreparable damage and deaths can't be undone but you can't just give up.

On another note, I won't be surprised at all if professional athletes (I.E. in leagues that have large TV revenue) are part of the priority list of the first to get access to the vaccine; that won't do anything to fill arenas/stadiums but it will go a long way to allow said leagues to complete the 2021 season.

Reactions: Brightwing

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That is the very attitude that helped get the U.S. where it is. It is now very late in the game and the irreparable damage and deaths can't be undone but you can't just give up.

On another note, I won't be surprised at all if professional athletes (I.E. in leagues that have large TV revenue) are part of the priority list of the first to get access to the vaccine; that won't do anything to fill arenas/stadiums but it will go a long way to allow said leagues to complete the 2021 season.

If you wanted to lockdown, you had to do it early. Too late now. You would need to lock down forever for it to have an effect and that would almost guarantee you'd enter that spiral of the yoyo effects after lockdowns. Again. In the long run, lockdowns haven't worked for a lot of countries. You want a steady amount of cases in order to have capacity in hospitals. Too much yoyo isn't helpful. I agree re vaccines. Not sure there'll be too much early interest in those vaccines anyway. Here in Switzerland only few people are interested as of now but we're probably also more sceptical than others.

Reactions: Pertti

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
If you wanted to lockdown, you had to do it early. Too late now. You would need to lock down forever for it to have an effect and that would almost guarantee you'd enter that spiral of the yoyo effects after lockdowns. Again. In the long run, lockdowns haven't worked for a lot of countries. You want a steady amount of cases in order to have capacity in hospitals. Too much yoyo isn't helpful. I agree re vaccines. Not sure there'll be too much early interest in those vaccines anyway. Here in Switzerland only few people are interested as of now but we're probably also more sceptical than others.
You do realize the US is in such dire straits that they're opening surge units in parking garages and that's before the holiday bomb goes off. They need a national lockdown just to smooth the curve. Reno hospital opens COVID-19 surge unit in parking garage

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You do realize the US is in such dire straits that they're opening surge units in parking garages and that's before the holiday bomb goes off. They need a national lockdown just to smooth the curve. Reno hospital opens COVID-19 surge unit in parking garage

I do not know about the situation in the US besides infection numbers. But what I do know that there's hardly ever an entire country in trouble...it's mostly local outbreaks...often in bigger cities. So nationwide lockdowns hardly ever make sense. Not just for financial reasons but also to keep people on your side and avoid depression or a lack of discipline after the lockdown that's gonna cause the yoyo effect. Nationwide lockdowns I think should only be considered if nothing else worked. What you wanna try is to check if perhaps moving patients to other hospitals with capacity is possible. Local lockdowns can help, too or travel restrictions, etc. But the situation of some farms in Texas usually isn't quite the same as in Chicago and therefore individual measures do make sense. In Switzerland we messed that up with some regions allowing events of 10'000 while others only allowed gatherings of up to 5 and were already closing restaurants and bars. So you have to find some common ground but still leave room for individual measures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad