20-21 season: how will the NHL pull it off?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Short term pain, long term huge gain (#1D)? Fully on board. Total no-brainer.

Still think I’d prefer 1 more elite F prospect to go with Dach and hope Mitchell and Boqvist become very good.

It’s almost impossible to win a Cup without elite forwards, but you can do it without multiple elite defenseman. Hopefully one of Mitchell or Boqvist can somehow be close to elite.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Good article. I admit it would be fun to be in the same division as Detroit again.

From the article:

A scenario that may make sense?

Revamped Pacific: Anaheim, Arizona, Colorado, Dallas, Los Angeles, Minnesota, San Jose and Vegas.

Revamped Central: Carolina, Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, Florida, Nashville, St. Louis and Tampa Bay.

Revamped Atlantic/Metro: Boston, Buffalo, New Jersey, N.Y. Islanders, N.Y. Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Washington.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Still think I’d prefer 1 more elite F prospect to go with Dach and hope Mitchell and Boqvist become very good.

It’s almost impossible to win a Cup without elite forwards, but you can do it without multiple elite defenseman. Hopefully one of Mitchell or Boqvist can somehow be close to elite.

I have very high hopes for Mitchell and Boqvist. I think the floor is good and the ceiling is very high. That said, both are PMD. I'd really, really love to add an elite, preferably monster, LD (Shea Webber type). Our D would be cooking (eventually).

Reactions: RayP

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I have very high hopes for Mitchell and Boqvist. I think the floor is good and the ceiling is very high. That said, both are PMD. I'd really, really love to add an elite, preferably monster, LD (Shea Webber type). Our D would be cooking (eventually).

No doubt.... although I’d settle for Vlasic being a very good second pairing guy to fill that void a bit.

Regardless, just goes to show how badly we need at least one more young elite talent.

Reactions: bwana63

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
How feasible is a long term bubble if you could even get the players to agree to it? I ask that from a financial perspective. Getting the playoffs going is one thing. But to have a bubble for the entire league for even a shortened season doesn’t seem all that practical financially.

Having the teams travel doesn’t seem practical either when you favor in the border.

You’d almost certainly have to do some regionally, but how many times can central based teams play each other before it’s just too redundant?

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
How feasible is a long term bubble if you could even get the players to agree to it? I ask that from a financial perspective. Getting the playoffs going is one thing. But to have a bubble for the entire league for even a shortened season doesn’t seem all that practical financially.

Having the teams travel doesn’t seem practical either when you favor in the border.

You’d almost certainly have to do some regionally, but how many times can central based teams play each other before it’s just too redundant?
Yeah the 2021 season looks like it might be in trouble. The more we find out about COVID-19, the worse the news is for the NHL. They're getting hit the hardest of all pro sports.

I'd put the chances of a season at 50-50 at this point. Things look even worse if this runs into winter 21-22.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't know how they are going to pull it off, to be perfectly honest. A bubble isn't feasible for a whole season. Financially, or logistically. If you're not going to have a bubble, you will have outbreaks, and you will have entire teams down and out. I am not optimistic there will be a 2020-2021 season. :(

CPHawksFan

That's Hockey Baby!!
Jun 17, 2011
Crown Point, IN
Doesn't it all depend on when a vaccine is made available? As far as I'm concerned, if a vaccine comes out everything should return to near normal or normal. Isn't that the point of a vaccine?

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
50/50 is looking like a long shot to me (not an epidemiologist, lol). Traveling "bubbles" for each team...gonna be much tougher than the playoffs. The league did a great job with the playoffs, but hermetically sealing 30 odd environments? Not even McJesus can do it.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Doesn't it all depend on when a vaccine is made available? As far as I'm concerned, if a vaccine comes out everything should return to near normal or normal. Isn't that the point of a vaccine?

Spring '21? Summer? ~50% efficacy? Lot more questions than answers, at this point.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Not really. There isn't going to be a vaccine before the NHL season starts... When there is, who knows what the efficacy will be. A vaccine isn't a silver bullet here, and there's never been a vaccine for a coronavirus, either. Nothing is certain.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
All they can really do is prepare for full season but plan for interruptions (Potential shortening) if required

Say you want 82 game season but have scenario's in which as a result of quarantines , etc you play less)

And then potential bubble playoff again

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
I’ve heard the issue is by the time this vaccine comes out the strain likely has mutated rendering the vaccine less effective than desired or perceived.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I’ve heard the issue is by the time this vaccine comes out the strain likely has mutated rendering the vaccine less effective than desired or perceived.

I am not sure this is accurate. This vaccine is not like flu vaccines where you develop antibodies to specific strains of the virus. The coronavirus vaccine is teaching your body to recognize and attack the spike protein that is characteristic of coronaviruses. It is an entirely new type of vaccine, which is why there are so many doubts.

Different Approaches to a Coronavirus Vaccine

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
I am not sure this is accurate. This vaccine is not like flu vaccines where you develop antibodies to specific strains of the virus. The coronavirus vaccine is teaching your body to recognize and attack the spike protein that is characteristic of coronaviruses. It is an entirely new type of vaccine, which is why there are so many doubts.

Different Approaches to a Coronavirus Vaccine

Very interesting, thank you for sharing!

Reactions: Pez68

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I would be very surprised if they didn’t have at least a mini-season. Even if that loses more money than cancelling everything altogether, missing a whole year could be pretty damaging to the league long term.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Yeah this thing is like the flu. People are going to have to be vaccinated every 6 months or so and it's still only going to be 60% effective.

I'm not sure that's the case.
60% effective with 75% of the country receiving it with continued social distancing for a few months should be the end of the pandemic and drop cases to almost 0 as long as the rate of spread stays low.
The virus won't find enough people to infect in the time (10 days or so?) that the carrier is contagious.

For example:

In IL the current rate of spread is 1.18
For every 100 people that get covid they're giving it to 118 other people.
Those 118 give it to 139 others.
139 give it to 164 others and so on.

Now with the same practices in place those 100 initial cases won't be spreading it to 118 others after 75% of the population gets vaccinated (at 60% efficacy.)
They'll be spreading to around 60 others.
And those 60 others will be spreading it to 32 others.
And those 32 will spread it to 17 others.

Within a few months we're basically down to 0.

(If my memory serves correct from Immunology, this is how it works.)

My math above is just for purposes of illustration. The actual models will provide actual numbers.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->