20-21 season: how will the NHL pull it off?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
"So remember that deal we signed 4-5 months ago? You know, where we discussed the possibility of having a season without fans? Where we negotiated and came up with a compromise, and numbers that worked for both sides? Yeah, about that...."

Tough f***ing shit. The owners can get f***ed here.
Completely agreed.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
According to some Burger King guy on this board that won't be a problem. Players are gonna be more than happy to play for less than already agreed to and they're happy to do so in the middle of a pandemic. They're even happy to relocate just to make it happen.

And our clueless visitor still doesn't understand the conversation. Deferred compensation and escrow changes have nothing to do with relocation of players and your claim it will damage the relationship with fans. These are fundamental change to pay and the structure of if.

When are you leaving again? I am not shocked you have been run off of other team boards....

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
And our clueless visitor still doesn't understand the conversation. Deferred compensation and escrow changes have nothing to do with relocation of players and your claim it will damage the relationship with fans. These are fundamental change to pay and the structure of if. If you can't keep up stop jumping in.

When are you leaving again? I am not shocked you have been run off of other team boards....

Why is this person even here? They aren't a Blackhawks' fan. Where did he/she come from?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Why is this person even here? They aren't a Blackhawks' fan. Where did he/she come from?

I believe they started posting after Suter signed around the same time the Wild fans ran him off ans something about blanket deleting of posts.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
And our clueless visitor still doesn't understand the conversation. Deferred compensation and escrow changes have nothing to do with relocation of players and your claim it will damage the relationship with fans. These are fundamental change to pay and the structure of if.

The fans were just one part of our conversation. When I said that, in my view, there won't be play because players wouldn't be happy to play for less than already agreed to, risking their health during a pandemic, you said that there wouldn't be a problem. But yeah, enjoy your whopper:laugh:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The fans were just one part of our conversation. When I said that, in my view, there won't be play because players wouldn't be happy to play for less than already agreed to, risking their health during a pandemic, you said that there wouldn't be a problem. But yeah, enjoy your whopper:laugh:

You claimed temporarily moving the team would hurt the teams relationship with fans. Changing pay was not part of the argument. Nice try moving the goal posts again.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I believe they started posting after Suter signed around the same time the Wild fans ran him off ans something about blanket deleting of posts.

If you don't have a clue, eat your burgers and stop spreading lies:laugh:
The Suter story is getting old. It's untrue. And I don't have a problem with Wild fans. It's one abusive mod. I don't even know which one. Deleting entire pages or threads, not just my posts. The one Wild fan asking me to post about Suter in the prospect thread even liked my post. They probably know what's going on but hfboards seems to tolerate this mods behaviour. It's sad, especially because I didn't even receive an answer when reporting it.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If you don't have a clue, eat your burgers and stop spreading lies:laugh:
The Suter story is getting old. It's untrue. And I don't have a problem with Wild fans. It's one abusive mod. I don't even know which one. Deleting entire pages or threads, not just my posts. The one Wild fan asking me to post about Suter in the prospect thread even liked my post. They probably know what's going on but hfboards seems to tolerate this mods behaviour. It's sad, especially because I didn't even receive an answer when reporting it.

Thank you for proving my point.

Congrats on the like though...

Your story has more holes than swiss cheese (I have weak dad jokes too).

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You claimed temporarily moving the team would hurt the teams relationship with fans. Changing pay was not part of the argument. Nice try moving the goal posts again.

You're obviously the troll here and I fear this isn't going anywhere either. Everybody can go read the prospects thread. It's all there and you should stop lying. I wrote all of this and you dismissed it. I'll save this board from further nonsense discussions here. Good day to you and enjoy your whopper:laugh:

To go back to the thread, I'm happy they're still talking but like I mentioned already, I don't see it working out. Someone has to pay for it if they had to play and I don't see the players taking less than already agreed to, especially if there are additional hurdles like relocations. I'm happy to be proven wrong but I don't see it happening. We've seen lockouts before and we've had certain players opting out of bubble playoffs, too.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You're obviously the troll here and I fear this isn't going anywhere either. Everybody can go read the prospects thread. I wrote all of this and you dismissed it. I'll save this board from further nonsense discussions here. Good day to you and enjoy your whopper:laugh:

My post history shows otherwise and your post history shows what everyone has said, hell a poster even showed when you showed up. You made a claim and it was wrong, simple as that.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Back to the topic at hand. I'm sure the news of approved vaccines will be a large part of NHL discussions going forward. In theory, an effective vaccine will allow fans to return to attending games before the end of the RS and maybe even as soon as February, fingers crossed.... and into the playoffs. I'm feeling pretty good about the return of some normalcy in an abnormally bizarre time. We just need to hang in there for a few rough months.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Back to the topic at hand. I'm sure the news of approved vaccines will be a large part of NHL discussions going forward. In theory, an effective vaccine will allow fans to return to attending games before the end of the RS and maybe even as soon as February, fingers crossed.... and into the playoffs. I'm feeling pretty good about the return of some normalcy in an abnormally bizarre time. We just need to hang in there for a few rough months.

Vaccines will help expedite it for sure. I am interested to see how the anti-vax fans are handled. Do you let them in? I doubt I would to be honest. I am not sure how HIPAA laws impact this though.

I would still mandate masks as well.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

As you say, that's a theory though. Vaccines need to be available and prove to be efficient first. Also, I don't know how Americans or Canadians think about this, but here in Switzerland most people aren't interested in trying those vaccines until they're proven to work. They've run surveys and people are very sceptical. Personally, I'm not that sceptical but to take the risk, I'd want my life back in return. So much will depend on the Biden administrations vaccine strategy. How fast will they be validated and available for everyone and what are those vaccinated people allowed to do afterwards. How quickly are they gonna allow spectators for sports events and how many.

So it will depend on Biden's and the FDA's pace. Will also depend on what the Canadians do. Could be too late for this season and even if not. Players, owners and the league need to find solutions now if they want to play. If they want to wait for the vaccines, they may start preparing the 2021/2022 season already.

Last edited:

Nellie Fox

Jun 22, 2020
North Mankato, MN
Well, the Minnesota State University hockey team got one game in (a 5-0 win over Bemidji State, with Downers Grove's own Dryden McKay getting another shutout in net) before positive covid tests canceled the second game, and likely at least this coming weekend's games.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well, the Minnesota State University hockey team got one game in (a 5-0 win over Bemidji State, with Downers Grove's own Dryden McKay getting another shutout in net) before positive covid tests canceled the second game, and likely at least this coming weekend's games.

Here in Switzerland, all 12 National League teams had to quarantine already because of covid cases. It's a mess. Don't think the NHL would be any different without bubbles.

Reactions: Nellie Fox

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don’t see why skipping the season is in the best interest of everyone.

Too many hurdles to overcome to even come to terms and get the season started. And even if they'd all agree on a plan, it most likely wouldn't work because with covid cases and teams having to quarantine, the season could take forever. By playing, the covid infection risk is also higher for the players which isn't necessarily in their best interest. You also have to ask yourself, exactly how fair and interesting it would be for teams and fans if they tried to sell a few divisional games as a "season".

If they decide to skip, that would allow for a solid preparation for camps and a full 2021/2022 season, hopefully with full arenas. It would allow them to monitor efficiency, availability and potential risks of the vaccines and plan accordingly.

I don't think they should have played here in Switzerland, too. Too many covid cases, too many teams having to quarantine. Don't think the rest of Europe is any different and I'm not sure this mess will even pay financially (without funds from states). Not playing might have been cheaper, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad