• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
David Quinn, who never started 0-2 as the head man behind the BU bench, sat Kevin Hayes for huge swaths of the final two periods, stapling him to the bench for all but 5:41 (3:47 at even-strength) of the final 40 minutes. The coaching staff has been focused on getting Hayes to move his feet and skate. Apparently, he did not do enough of that to keep his spot between Jimmy Vesey and Mats Zuccarello.

The Rangers are not only chasing the puck, they’ve been chasing games, yet to lead in 120 minutes of hockey. Offensively challenged to begin with, they have little margin for error. Unfortunately, they made two too many mistakes on their penalty kill, allowing a pair of power-play goals to Connor Sheary to fall behind 2-0 by the 1:42 mark of the second period.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/06/rangers-show-fight-but-cant-pick-up-their-first-win/

Good luck getting Hayes to move his feet.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Can someone explain to me where this horrible defense was today? I can't believe what I'm reading. PK is not the same thing as defense. They barely got zone time and chances 5 on 5. I must be losing my mind. We've played far worse defense with far better personnel. Despite the 6 2 on 1s in the first game, I thought the D was pretty good too. If anything it shows how poorly AV coached defense and Quinn so far is doing an excellent job with subpar personnel. I'm far more worried about our offense.

BTW, I don't always agree with @Machinehead but he brought up a decent point earlier. I wonder how we'd look with Quinn and actual talent like we did before the rebuild.

pre or post 2015?

We may get a round further in 2016, but I dont see a ton changing.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
pre or post 2015?

We may get a round further in 2016, but I dont see a ton changing.

I was thinking 2017 more so. If we played Pittsburgh in 2016 in round 1 we'd still lose, but maybe we'd have a better record and wouldn't have to play them. Hell, last year we might have not fallen off the face of the earth and might have been a Wild Card. It's hard to say though it's only been 2 games. But it's been a while since we had an NHL level defense. Regarding 2014 and 2015, hard to say anyone would do better than AV.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I was thinking 2017 more so. If we played Pittsburgh in 2016 in round 1 we'd still lose, but maybe we'd have a better record and wouldn't have to play them. Hell, last year we might have not fallen off the face of the earth and might have been a Wild Card. It's hard to say though it's only been 2 games. But it's been a while since we had an NHL level defense. Regarding 2014 and 2015, hard to say anyone would do better than AV.

I meant 2017, my B.

I don't think we sniff the playoffs with any coach behind the bench with all of the injuries last year. Is Quinn good enough to make up a 10 win deficit? Because that was the gap between the Rangers and the wild card.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Can someone explain to me where this horrible defense was today? I can't believe what I'm reading. PK is not the same thing as defense. They barely got zone time and chances 5 on 5. I must be losing my mind. We've played far worse defense with far better personnel. Despite the 6 2 on 1s in the first game, I thought the D was pretty good too. If anything it shows how poorly AV coached defense and Quinn so far is doing an excellent job with subpar personnel. I'm far more worried about our offense.

BTW, I don't always agree with @Machinehead but he brought up a decent point earlier. I wonder how we'd look with Quinn and actual talent like we did before the rebuild.

What talent did we have before the rebuild? Washed up Nash and McD? Holden? Paul Carey? Desharnais?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
His trade value just dropped significantly, thanks, Quinn.
Other teams have eyes scouting the Rangers.

No one in this front office has to say a word for player value to change.

In fact, you can pretty much assume that if anyone in the Rangers FO is making comments about on-ice performance, other teams are already aware of it.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I meant 2017, my B.

I don't think we sniff the playoffs with any coach behind the bench with all of the injuries last year. Is Quinn good enough to make up a 10 win deficit? Because that was the gap between the Rangers and the wild card.

Was that at the time of the sell-off or by seasons' end? Because if it's the latter, who knows what would happen if we didn't have the sell-off. But you're right we did have a lot of injuries. But I feel like we're team that has a lot of good luck with injuries year in and year out, so our perception is off.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Probably a little thing but does anyone else find it refreshing how honest Quinn is about how the team played? I felt like AV was far more diplomatic usually. And it's not like we lost both games 5-0 where it would be silly to be diplomatic. Listening to Shurmur, I'm glad how much more detail he gives about what went wrong.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Most of the D talent is at Wolfpack and that`s an issue right now, and they are skating in circles at times around Staal for instant - the pace is too quick for him unfortuntately as much as I like Staal compete level and locker room present.
I think Staal has been ok. He plays an outdated style but he has been spry, engaged, and visible. The problem is that modern defensemen need to be helpful in the offensive zone. And he is not.

Reactions: Ori and Dijock94

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Probably a little thing but does anyone else find it refreshing how honest Quinn is about how the team played? I felt like AV was far more diplomatic usually. And it's not like we lost both games 5-0 where it would be silly to be diplomatic. Listening to Shurmur, I'm glad how much more detail he gives about what went wrong.

That is because he has job security for now, give him a year or 2 and his tune and tone will change.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
My one post of the night...

Zibanejad looked pretty comfortable skating on the rush in from the right wing. With the center glut the way it is, maybe it isn't completely out of the picture to see him moving there eventually.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad