• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Maybe some fans expected more out of this team, this coach and this system.

I’m sure there are “some” foolish fans out there that have high expectations for a rebuilding team. I’d hate to be one of those suckers right now.

80 games left. Buckle up and enjoy the ride:D

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was expecting these growing pains for the first few games or so. They are not getting blown away, Lundqvist has like a .930 Save PCT, and a 2.00 GAA through the first games, and just don’t think they are getting the bounces. Both games could have went either way. Jury is still out for me.

My expectations are not high for this team, but I do think they can make a push to be on the bubble to make the playoffs. I just can’t see them being a bottom feeder.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Looks like Quinn will institute meritocracy as far as minutes go.
At least Staal got least amount of minutes on D
Filip is gonna be very good and lets just say he was 7th overall and Lias was the 21st pick
Hayes Hayes Hayes imagine if we signed him to 5x5 !
Brady was more engaged and pairing him with a stay at home is the way to go
Shattenkirk is not a good player for a rebuilding team
Deangelo needs to play and not for Pionk( who had a rough game but has very good puck moving skills and needs to play in order to further develop.
Howden has greater potential than purple Hayes
Time to break up first line.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
The problem is there are too many wolfpack players on the roster like J. Vesey, and those few with talents are actually playing at Wolfpack.

So how to fix this.

Send down:
- Vesey
- Pionk
- Lettieri

Wait, what? Vesey has been the best forward on the team through two games. He was the best player on the ice for Game 1 on either team IMO and followed it up with another good game last night. Sure, he can't finish for shit, but he's getting a ton of chances and surely deserves to stay. Pionk was fantastic in the first game. He slipped yesterday, but he has a lot of promise and has not done anything to warrant sending him down. If anything, his ice time should increase.

There are guys you can take out of the lineup, but I have to call into question your judgement when you promote sending down 2 of the players on the team that have actually looked pretty decent thus far.

I also don't understand all the negativity in here. Personally, I feel much more optimistic than I did before the season started. The team played really well in both games and Chytil and especially Howden have looked fantastic.

We are not winning the cup this year. We are very likely not making the playoffs. Enjoy the season for what it is, a developmental one. Those that expect wins every night are going to get a lot of grey hairs this year and make this forum insufferable for those who are realists.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Just to add, I would love if this was the outcome for every game this season. A really good game, exciting to watch, where the team shows extreme competitiveness, the young kids play really well, but the team ultimately loses, especially against the likes of teams we will be competing with for top picks.

Just a reminder, we are tanking.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
You picked the wrong time to come back. The board that pushed so hard for a tank is about to lose its **** after two losses to start the season. It will be a long year, and not just on the ice.

Two losses in which we didn’t play bad, and the young guys definitely played well, no less.

I would I say don’t understand the reaction, but I really shoulda seen it coming.

Tikkanese

Dec 6, 2006
New York
Other than sentimentality there is no reason for it to not happen. Rangers will retire his number either way and will hire him to some executive position after he retires if he wants it. Rangers paid him a ton of money and don't owe him anything extra.

Because Lundqvist does not want to leave NY. He is a swede, living in Manhattan with small children in a community he likes, where there is a real Swedish/Nordic ex-pat community.

If you want to propose a trade for him, you better focus on where he would go and why he would move his family there for the remainder of his contract term. "Because he wants to win a cup" can only be part of the story.

Reactions: Rangerfans

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Thank god we had Mcleod in the lineup to not do anything when our youngsters are head hunted.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If Henrik wanted to be tradef it would be to a team of his choosing, and would probably include minimal assets coming back and probably a bad contract that may be like 1 year shorter or something to fit him in.

From a rangers standpoint I just don't see the benefit. Like what...Henrik to.....? I can't even think of a great team with awful goaltending that he would go to...most teams have something in the pipeline, or flat out don't need a goalie.

The only team I can think of is stl.....would Henrik wanna play in Missouri? I dunno. What would they even have to offer, and could they fit him in their cap picture?

I mean if they took Henrik full contract and gave us a 2nd...would anyone really say no?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I like how Quinn has the Rangers playing, for the most part. PK needs work. Badly. Offense will come as the new DZ structure gets familiar to the players. Once they get into a groove of zone exits into zone entries, the talent will overtake from there.

Howden looking really good. Lettieri too. Chytil is great. Kids szn.

Screw the refs for that first Sabres goal and not calling Too Much Man.

We need to find the right balance between trying to get the puck deep and control the play on one side and taking it to the net on the other.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I mean if they took Henrik full contract and gave us a 2nd...would anyone really say no?
Honestly, a 2nd to just get rid of him? Take away being a career Ranger from arguably the best goalie in franchise history, top 5 all around? For only a 2nd? I wouldn't do it.

People can bring up the fact that if it happened to Leetch it can happen to anyone. But I look at what we got back for giving up seeing him retire with us. Its sentimental and cheesy but a 2nd isnt enough to offset that enjoyment.

From a rebuild perspective, Lundqvist isn't stopping the bleeding. He wont cost us a high pick. We don't need the cap.

Now if we change some perimeters in the scenario, like Henrik wants out or the return is better, I can be on board.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If Henrik wanted to be tradef it would be to a team of his choosing, and would probably include minimal assets coming back and probably a bad contract that may be like 1 year shorter or something to fit him in.

From a rangers standpoint I just don't see the benefit. Like what...Henrik to.....? I can't even think of a great team with awful goaltending that he would go to...most teams have something in the pipeline, or flat out don't need a goalie.

The only team I can think of is stl.....would Henrik wanna play in Missouri? I dunno. What would they even have to offer, and could they fit him in their cap picture?

A lot of players that get traded to St. Louis come to make that area their home post playing days.

There's a lot to like about St. Louis.

In regards to a trade, we would have to take Allen back (Hank IS an upgrade there) AND we would have to retain at least 50% meaning any asset we get back HAS to be significant.

Bokk is a non-starter, but I do think Kostin could be had.

Allen and Kostin for Hank at 50% is a deal I would do.

But I assign zero sentimental value to players. I think that concept is pretty silly really.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
But I assign zero sentimental value to players. I think that concept is pretty silly really.

You don't, but management likely does. They learned their lesson with Leetch. I don't see them repeating it unless circumstances drastically change, such as someone above posted. If Henrik wants out and/or if the return is significant, then maybe.

Otherwise, there is absolutely no way he is going anywhere before his career is over, nor should he.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
You don't, but management likely does. They learned their lesson with Leetch. I don't see them repeating it unless circumstances drastically change, such as someone above posted. If Henrik wants out and/or if the return is significant, then maybe.

Otherwise, there is absolutely no way he is going anywhere before his career is over, nor should he.

I doubt Mgmt places any heavy emphasis on sentimental value.

It is not a value add.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

and forgot to ask, what lesson was Learned with the Leetch trade? That they waited to long to make the move? Because they did.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Not that much can be expected at this point, but this team is not "relentless" by any stretch... very good in our zone, little push-back... looks like a softer Tortorellateam... two games, sure, we all knew it's going to be a down year.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Looks like Quinn will institute meritocracy as far as minutes go.
At least Staal got least amount of minutes on D
Filip is gonna be very good and lets just say he was 7th overall and Lias was the 21st pick
Hayes Hayes Hayes imagine if we signed him to 5x5 !
Brady was more engaged and pairing him with a stay at home is the way to go
Shattenkirk is not a good player for a rebuilding team
Deangelo needs to play and not for Pionk( who had a rough game but has very good puck moving skills and needs to play in order to further develop.
Howden has greater potential than purple Hayes
Time to break up first line.

We need puck movers to speed up the pace of the breakouts. I would not sit Pionk like some are hoping, since he is one of the more competent ones currently who can do that. Skjei can skate the puck out but he's not really someone who springs the offense with the first pass. So we need ADA in there. Pushing the puck out of our zone quicker could help with zone entries. Preds and Sabres jammed up the neutral zone and their blue line as they had time to set up their D schemes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad