Prospect Info: 1st Overall Hype Thread: Meaningless wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
She didn't call it a ****hole at all. Just said that nobody lives there (omitting arena staff). I don't get why it's "annoying and not called for." Newark is a dump aside from a few spots. Do you disagree?
I know she didn’t lol. You did. Nobody lives there (omitting the people busting their ass to make your food, provide all kinds of essential services in the arena, and clean up your mess after you leave). It’s a low income area and with low income comes crime. The dangerous parts are pretty concentrated like in the other entire cities you’ve written off as ****holes (Detroit, Chicago).

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Holy crap, now we are dissecting what Amanda Stein said in response to someone calling Newark a dump. It is a dump. Aside from arena staff, I can almost guarantee 90% of the team staff (probably more tbh) don't live in Newark....... I don't get why EVERYTHING has to be argued over. Newark sucks. Just look a block away from the arena or the entire length of Raymond Blvd until you get near Newark Penn Station.

Good post. It's refreshing to read such truth in a social media world where everyone desperately tries to hide the truth.

1200px-Pentothal_vintage_package_-_truth_serum.jpg

Reactions: Emperoreddy

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I know she didn’t lol. You did. Nobody lives there (omitting the people busting their ass to make your food, provide all kinds of essential services in the arena, and clean up your mess after you leave). It’s a low income area and with low income comes crime. The dangerous parts are pretty concentrated like in the other entire cities you’ve written off as ****holes (Detroit, Chicago).

At this point I'm not even sure what the discussion is about anymore. I fully understand what Newark is, what the arena staff is and what they do. My point was I just don't get why people are annoyed at what she said. Some of you, not you specifically, have such a strange animosity towards her. She didn't say or do anything wrong yet she's getting ripped on a message board. It's strange to me.

Reactions: Missionhockey

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
At this point I'm not even sure what the discussion is about anymore. I fully understand what Newark is, what the arena staff is and what they do. My point was I just don't get why people are annoyed at what she said. Some of you, not you specifically, have such a strange animosity towards her. She didn't say or do anything wrong yet she's getting ripped on a message board. It's strange to me.
I have zero issues with Amanda beyond this. But she is a Twitter persona who covers the Devils, this is her job, and in this case she played this poorly.

Reactions: Patrik26

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
" Rangerfans likes this "

But we don't like @Rangerfans liking this. :laugh:

Go away. Shoo! :sarcasm:
Sorry. :laugh:I live in NJ, I’m right near Newark. I’m literally right over the Passaic river .
I just agree, it’s just not a good city. But I love NJ. I’m currently in upstate NY to pursue my doctorate.

I can’t wait to come home between trimesters. I miss NJ diners, bagels, and pizza.

PS - Sincerely, congratulations on the first pick. I’m just ecstatic to be top two. You can’t go wrong with either pick.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I have zero issues with Amanda beyond this. But she is a Twitter persona who covers the Devils, this is her job, and in this case she played this poorly.

She could have just noted that probably no one who plays for the Flyers lives in Philly and most of them probably live in Jersey during the season.

Reactions: Billdo

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Sorry. :laugh:I live in NJ, I’m right near Newark. I’m literally right over the Passaic river .
I just agree, it’s just not a good city. But I love NJ. I’m currently in upstate NY to pursue my doctorate.

I can’t wait to come home between trimesters. I miss NJ diners, bagels, and pizza.
Called it.:cool:

Reactions: Rangerfans

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I think she does a fine job, and I don’t think she meant any disrespect with the comment. It just came off as pretty rude to me and wish she’d go to bat for the city the team plays in.

Reactions: devilsblood

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
She could have just noted that probably no one who plays for the Flyers lives in Philly and most of them probably live in Jersey during the season.
There were various things she could have said. As some one said earlier, she didn't show much polish here.

Not a huge deal maybe, but I bet she heard from someone higher up the food chain.

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
I’d rather she not (not very subtly) crap on the city where much of the arena staff lives. It’s a low income area, calling it a ****hole is annoying and not called for.
No disrespect, but you are sounding extremely fragile.

There are very few areas outside the "corporate" area of Newark and Ironbound that are worth going too. There are some absolute disaster areas of Newark, my brother who works for PSEG loves to tell me about his adventures in that fine area. When you go into the apartments and question why there is a corpse of a rotting dog in the basement and apparently no one seems to know how it got there, usually it's not necessarily a clean and well-kept environment.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

There are very few areas outside the "corporate" area of Newark and Ironbound that are worth going too. There are some absolute disaster areas of Newark, my brother who works for PSEG loves to tell me about his adventures in that fine area. When you go into the apartments and question why there is a corpse of a rotting dog in the basement and apparently no one seems to know how it got there, usually it's not necessarily a clean and well-kept environment.

The issue is not whether Newark is or is not a shit hole. It is, everyone with an ounce of honesty knows that. It’s just that the team plays there and is part of an effort to make the place something other than a shit hole.

As someone said, Amanda’s response isn’t the end of the world, should just have been more polished.

Or, to think of it another way, one thing you should not expect from Amanda is a tweet like “Oh boy Greene is playing like he’s 87 years old” even if it’s true.

Reactions: devilsblood

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

PS - Sincerely, congratulations on the first pick. I’m just ecstatic to be top two. You can’t go wrong with either pick.
I think there's like 4 things I miss about living in Jersey.

Food: Particularly pizza, but even the Chinese food is better up there than Chinese food in Florida. It's the same thing with places like Denver, Colorado though. Even the Chinese food and pizza isn't as good out there, though I know of a few places here and there. Everyone from outside of the Jersey/New York area that I tell about how Chinese food doesn't taste as good outside of the area, just don't understand. They usually say something like ''Chinese food isn't even ethnic to the region man!''. They just don't understand.:laugh: I like bagels, but I'm also not crazy about them. Especially the smell on my face after I eat one with butter.:eek:

Going to Devils home games: I can attend games in Tampa (used to go to Sunrise, but it's a long drive), but I miss going to home games. I also don't really like visiting Jersey much in the Winter, so I usually don't go visit during that time of the year. I'd rather go up in the summer and go to the beach and do outdoor stuff.

Another is the beach and going to LBI and the boardwalks and all of that. I have the beach down here, only 10 minutes away and I work over by the beach. And I can go basically year round, even at some point during the cooler months, we have warm fronts. Can go in the Gulf from about March-December most years and go in the pool year round. And I usually go to Jersey every August (cancelled my trip last year), but I do miss that a bit.

And some family and friends.

That's basically it.:laugh:

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
I think there's like 4 things I miss about living in Jersey.

Food: Particularly pizza, but even the Chinese food is better up there than Chinese food in Florida. It's the same thing with places like Denver, Colorado though. Even the Chinese food and pizza isn't as good out there, though I know of a few places here and there. Everyone from outside of the Jersey/New York area that I tell about how Chinese food doesn't taste as good outside of the area, just don't understand. They usually say something like ''Chinese food isn't even ethnic to the region man!''. They just don't understand.:laugh: I like bagels, but I'm also not crazy about them. Especially the smell on my face after I eat one with butter.:eek:

Going to Devils home games: I can attend games in Tampa (used to go to Sunrise, but it's a long drive), but I miss going to home games. I also don't really like visiting Jersey much in the Winter, so I usually don't go visit during that time of the year. I'd rather go up in the summer and go to the beach and do outdoor stuff.

Another is the beach and going to LBI and the boardwalks and all of that. I have the beach down here, only 10 minutes away and I work over by the beach. And I can go basically year round, even at some point during the cooler months, we have warm fronts. Can go in the Gulf from about March-December most years and go in the pool year round. And I usually go to Jersey every August (cancelled my trip last year), but I do miss that a bit.

And some family and friends.

That's basically it.:laugh:
Yes! There is a Chinese food place in Lyndhurst that I am DYING to go to when I come home. So I totally agree with you! Everyone talks about how good the pizza in NYC, Philly, Chicago is (though I never had authentic Chicago pizza), there is something about NJ pizza that is amazing.
I envy that you work and live right near the beach. That's my goal when I get out of this hell hole lol, a little under 3 years before I'm free.

What is surprisingly is how fast Asbury developed. I remember going to the Stone Pony in early 2000's and watching the locals do "tai-chi" (I hope you get the reference) on the boardwalk at 2 am. Was a dangerous place back then. Now? Wow. Impressive!

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Maybe you can tell this story to the guy taking your ticket next time you’re at the Rock. I’m sure everyone in Newark has rotting dog corpses in their houses.

The crime is highly concentrated. 80% of streets in Newark didn’t have a single violent crime reported between 08-14 (5 surprising facts about violent crime in Newark). It’s almost all gang related in concentrated areas.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I personally love Jersey lol. Nice and quiet, not too bad weather. Good environment for a boring homebody like me :laugh:

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
The ironic thing is, you probably have to drive a lot further from downtown LA to get to a nice area than from downtown Newark. Large sections of downtown LA are sketchier than Newark, and the surrounding areas like Westlake and the area around USC are terrible.

I wonder if that guy thinks the Yankees have to live in the South Bronx.
Good point. The Madhouse is located inside of a notoriously rough part of Chicago. Do people really think Patty Kane and Duncan Keith live within walking or bicycle distance from the arena? Didn’t keep people from coming to the games once they got good. Detroit’s barn is not too far from some rough parts of the city. Doesn’t keep people from playing there. Doesn’t keep people from coming out to contests but the team being poor probably does. Lots of NHL teams play in a bad city but their buildings aren’t usually in the scary parts.

Reactions: Bleedred

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I have a studio on the beach in Belmar so its safe to say I am a very happy New Jersyan with a great life. Love this state, it has everything.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I think being able to see all my great friends, and pizza, are the only things I'll miss when I leave Jersey.

Great Chinese-American food can be had pretty much anywhere else, you just need to do some searching.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I think being able to see all my great friends, and pizza, are the only things I'll miss when I leave Jersey.

Great Chinese-American food can be had pretty much anywhere else, you just need to do some searching.
NJ has tremendous options for every cuisine since this state is such a melting pot of cultures. I think NJ is usually ranked right behind New York as the best ranked state in terms of food.

Reactions: Bleedred

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I'm not giving Amanda the benefit of the doubt. She knew exactly what she was saying. The idea that it was players she was referring to (along with herself) still implies in a backhanded way they/she wouldn't/don't want to live in Newark because of the environment. Sorry, but the remark she made, coming from a strong, independent woman (her words some time back on Twitter) - one would think she of all people should know better and have a better grasp on how to express things. *** end of rant ***
I think most of us on this board are from the area, which means most of us know that Newark is not a nice place. In fact, it's a pretty damn unsafe place. I knew a guy that lived in that area and was robbed. Lets not kid ourselves, no one wants to raise a family there.

Of course two train stops over is Jersey City which can be really nice, but people don't know the area like us. If they're just ignorant I would just ignore them.

TBH I always wondered why Newark couldn't get their act together. You would think the easy public transit alone would be enough to attract young professionals but idk, I'm not an economist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad