Prospect Info: 1st Overall Hype Thread: Meaningless wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
The ironic thing is, you probably have to drive a lot further from downtown LA to get to a nice area than from downtown Newark. Large sections of downtown LA are sketchier than Newark, and the surrounding areas like Westlake and the area around USC are terrible.

I wonder if that guy thinks the Yankees have to live in the South Bronx.

Reactions: Cage Helmet

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
The ironic thing is, you probably have to drive a lot further from downtown LA to get to a nice area than from downtown Newark. Large sections of downtown LA are sketchier than Newark, and the surrounding areas like Westlake and the area around USC are terrible.

I wonder if that guy thinks the Yankees have to live in the South Bronx.
it's because everyone thinks of LA and NYC as a whole, vs areas. there is no greater newark area

i'm sure parts of toronto suck too

it's kind of funny though, while everyone thinks newark sucks and since we play there, it's representative for the players, how come citys like pittsburgh, detroit, and st louis don't have a bad rep

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
it's because everyone thinks of LA and NYC as a whole, vs areas. there is no greater newark area

i'm sure parts of toronto suck too

it's kind of funny though, while everyone thinks newark sucks and since we play there, it's representative for the players, how come citys like pittsburgh, detroit, and st louis don't have a bad rep

I don't know about the history of the other cities but it might be because Newark was actually completely a shithole until recently. It's starting to get better but still work in progress and people are slow to adapt and think all of newark is still a dump. /shrug

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I would have expected a more enlightened remark about Newark out of Amanda. I'm sure she knows a lot of Prudential Center employees that live in Newark. I know she was referring to hockey players but still, it seems like her response was made in haste and could be interpreted badly.

Good observation

I'd assume the arena employs a fair number of local folks, perhaps even a majority of the staff

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I would have expected a more enlightened remark about Newark out of Amanda. I'm sure she knows a lot of Prudential Center employees that live in Newark. I know she was referring to hockey players but still, it seems like her response was made in haste and could be interpreted badly.

Yeah, I was surprised. That's not very "polished" of her at all.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
Good observation

I'd assume the arena employs a fair number of local folks, perhaps even a majority of the staff

I'm not going to pretend that Newark is a destination. I know it's going through stages of revitalization and that's great but the moral of the story is that it's not a place anyone with wealth (for the most part) is going to live. Her tweet just reads badly. To me she comes off as a snob talking about how she doesn't know anyone from Newark but her spot "off the Hudson River, it is gorgeous." Jersey City and Hoboken has some of the most expensive real estate in the country. You're doing something right if you can afford it but have some decency when talking about the Devils home city in comparison.

And really, I'm far from the first person to be outraged about anything.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I'm not giving Amanda the benefit of the doubt. She knew exactly what she was saying. The idea that it was players she was referring to (along with herself) still implies in a backhanded way they/she wouldn't/don't want to live in Newark because of the environment. Sorry, but the remark she made, coming from a strong, independent woman (her words some time back on Twitter) - one would think she of all people should know better and have a better grasp on how to express things. *** end of rant ***

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean is it the worst thing in the world to say players don't have to live in Newark? Yes it's not a straight dumpster fire but it wouldn't exactly be the first choice for players making millions of dollars to live in either. If you want to be picky about it you could say she should have pointed out most players don't live in the city they play in to make it a more benign comment. Or say they could just as easily live in Manhattan as the ones who play for the team across the river.

The only people that actually care about her Newark comment are probably residents of Newark or a tad oversensitive. Which she should still be mindful of when Tweeting since most of us Jersey folks do tend to have a little brother complex and get tribal when it comes to our own (i.e. all the anti-Nets/Red Bulls/Jets/Giants stuff for forsaking or not calling themselves NJ).

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I mean is it the worst thing in the world to say players don't have to live in Newark? Yes it's not a straight dumpster fire but it wouldn't exactly be the first choice for players making millions of dollars to live in either. If you want to be picky about it you could say she should have pointed out most players don't live in the city they play in to make it a more benign comment. Or say they could just as easily live in Manhattan as the ones who play for the team across the river.

The only people that actually care about her Newark comment are probably residents of Newark or a tad oversensitive. Which she should still be mindful of when Tweeting since most of us Jersey folks do tend to have a little brother complex and get tribal when it comes to our own (i.e. all the anti-Nets/Red Bulls/Jets/Giants stuff for forsaking or not calling themselves NJ).

to be fair, if she had said that the players could live in manhattan, she would’ve gotten 10x more shit

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
C'mon people, hype thread. :banana:
ArcticDistortedIlladopsis-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: NjDevsRR

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Holy crap, now we are dissecting what Amanda Stein said in response to someone calling Newark a dump. It is a dump. Aside from arena staff, I can almost guarantee 90% of the team staff (probably more tbh) don't live in Newark. It would be the same as a Blackhawks or Detroit social media team member (that's essentially what she is) saying that Chicago or Detroit are shitholes. She's not wrong. I don't get why EVERYTHING has to be argued over. Newark sucks. Just look a block away from the arena or the entire length of Raymond Blvd until you get near Newark Penn Station.

Reactions: MichaelJ and dk3790

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Hall must have actual rabbit's feet inside those skates

Still baffled as to how we found a way to the top twice in three years

Meaningless wins 4tw

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
I'm not giving Amanda the benefit of the doubt. She knew exactly what she was saying. The idea that it was players she was referring to (along with herself) still implies in a backhanded way they/she wouldn't/don't want to live in Newark because of the environment. Sorry, but the remark she made, coming from a strong, independent woman (her words some time back on Twitter) - one would think she of all people should know better and have a better grasp on how to express things. *** end of rant ***

My sentiments exactly. Also, nobody is arguing that Newark isn't a dump. There are just better ways to say things without coming off like a privileged brat.

I'm sure the Devils organization wouldn't appreciate such a statement since they are such proponents of that Hockey in Newark thing and all...

They may be 'Jerseys Team' but the Devils do try to make it about Newark when they can.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
What'd she say

Edit: found it

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Holy crap, now we are dissecting what Amanda Stein said in response to someone calling Newark a dump. It is a dump. Aside from arena staff, I can almost guarantee 90% of the team staff (probably more tbh) don't live in Newark. It would be the same as a Blackhawks or Detroit social media team member (that's essentially what she is) saying that Chicago or Detroit are ****holes. She's not wrong. I don't get why EVERYTHING has to be argued over. Newark sucks. Just look a block away from the arena or the entire length of Raymond Blvd until you get near Newark Penn Station.
I’d rather she not (not very subtly) crap on the city where much of the arena staff lives. It’s a low income area, calling it a ****hole is annoying and not called for.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I’d rather she not (not very subtly) crap on the city where much of the arena staff lives. It’s a low income area, calling it a ****hole is annoying and not called for.

She didn't call it a shithole at all. Just said that nobody lives there (omitting arena staff). I don't get why it's "annoying and not called for." Newark is a dump aside from a few spots. Do you disagree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad