Prospect Info: 1st Overall Hype Thread: Meaningless wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
When it comes to food, it’s not an honest discussion if you don’t include New Orleans. Secondly, you can find what you want if you live somewhere but it will require persistence of trying different places and you may only find one that works for it.

Where I live there is only one good deli and one Chinese restaurant as good as anything I ever had growing up. Pizza is hit and miss because the places come and go. At times there have been places that would have been run of the mill in NY/NJ but outside the pizza map defined above that is as good as it gets typically. There is one good bagel place as good as anything in NY. There used to be two but one closed. The issue is these places can be separated by 30 miles. Travel isn’t as crazy but it’s still an hour trip for me to get to the one good deli. I’m sure most areas near a real city are similar.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I'm not going to pretend that Newark is a destination. I know it's going through stages of revitalization and that's great but the moral of the story is that it's not a place anyone with wealth (for the most part) is going to live. Her tweet just reads badly. To me she comes off as a snob talking about how she doesn't know anyone from Newark but her spot "off the Hudson River, it is gorgeous." Jersey City and Hoboken has some of the most expensive real estate in the country. You're doing something right if you can afford it but have some decency when talking about the Devils home city in comparison.

And really, I'm far from the first person to be outraged about anything.
One of the wealthiest individuals I've ever known resides in - well, maintains an address in - Newark. I know it's purely anecdotal, but I'm pretty sure most of the people even itt couldn't point to Forest Hill on a map if it wasn't labeled on google. Therefore I can't really hold it's reputation against an ignorant random tweet from some guy who lives on the other side of the country.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Good grief deep dish is mostly trash. At a lot of Chicago places it's basically just lasagna in a circle. And too much damn bread.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Good point. The Madhouse is located inside of a notoriously rough part of Chicago. Do people really think Patty Kane and Duncan Keith live within walking or bicycle distance from the arena? Didn’t keep people from coming to the games once they got good. Detroit’s barn is not too far from some rough parts of the city. Doesn’t keep people from playing there. Doesn’t keep people from coming out to contests but the team being poor probably does. Lots of NHL teams play in a bad city but their buildings aren’t usually in the scary parts.
The area surrounding Hart Park is nowhere near the really rough areas of Detroit. It's actually pretty comparable to Newark in the regard. Though it's also further along in development, but that's what happens when you're the only game in a dying and dirt cheap town.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I think most of us on this board are from the area, which means most of us know that Newark is not a nice place. In fact, it's a pretty damn unsafe place. I knew a guy that lived in that area and was robbed. Lets not kid ourselves, no one wants to raise a family there.

Of course two train stops over is Jersey City which can be really nice, but people don't know the area like us. If they're just ignorant I would just ignore them.

TBH I always wondered why Newark couldn't get their act together. You would think the easy public transit alone would be enough to attract young professionals but idk, I'm not an economist.
It's starting to. It just had everything working against it with the rapid redevelopment and investments in Brooklyn, Queens, Hoboken, and JC. Proxitimity to Manhattan will always be the main driver in this region.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
A lot of people seem to forget that other teams also play in questionable cities.
Makes me think of this joke (kind of old):

The Detroit Red Wings foreign scout flies to Baghdad to watch a young Iraqi play hockey in the new American sponsored league, and is suitably impressed and arranges for him to come over to the US .

Ken Holland signs him to a one year contract and the kid joins the team for the preseason.

Two weeks later the Wings are down 4-0 to the Blackhawks with only 10 minutes left. Mike Babcock gives the young Iraqi the nod and he goes in. The kid is a sensation - scores 5 goals in 10 minutes and wins the game for the Wings! The fans are delighted, the players and coaches are delighted, and the media love the new star.

When the player comes off the ice he phones his mom to tell her about his first day of NHL hockey. "Hello mom, guess what?" he says in an Iraqi accent. "I played for 10 minutes today, we were 4-0 down, but I scored 5 goals and we won. Everybody loves me, the fans, the media, they all love me."

"Wonderful," says his mom, "Let me tell you about my day. Your father got shot in the street and robbed, your sister and I were ambushed, raped and beaten, and your brother has joined a gang of looters, and all while you were having such great time."

The young Iraqi is very upset. "What can I say mom, but I'm so sorry."

"Sorry? You're Sorry?!" says his mom, "It's your fault we moved to Detroit in the first place!"

palek1019

Oct 7, 2017
When it comes to food, it’s not an honest discussion if you don’t include New Orleans. Secondly, you can find what you want if you live somewhere but it will require persistence of trying different places and you may only find one that works for it.

One of my favorite places to go for food. Also, Vermont. You won't see much diversity, but what they have is so well done. Their quality of beef makes for a phenomenal burger and/or steak tartare if you're feeling adventurous. They've also got some of the best beer you can have in the US.

As for NJ, the diversity sets it apart for me. That includes food and weather. I would never want to live down South, but I hate the heat and humidity. Have always preferred the mountains. I like living in an area that has four seasons.

Reactions: My3Sons

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
I live in Guttenberg but grew up in Monmouth county. Newark is such a dump. I worked in Newark for my first real world job right out of school for about 3 years. Newark Penn Station bathroom was the worst bathroom in America (about 5 years ago now). Haven't been in that bathroom since but I would rather **** my pants than go there lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad