Pre-Game Talk: 1st Méchant Mardi - Minny visits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not terribly enthusiastic if they were to slot Newhook at center now. Still remember these AVS fans comments on the day we acquired him:

Best of luck to Newy with you guys. Didn’t work out in Colorado. They tried him at Centre and it didn’t click. Maybe it was too much expectations early in his career to do so for a contending team. Hopefully he improves in Montreal and it’s a win-win for both teams.

Also:

As an FYI…I doubt Newhook will be a top six centre. He has real potential to be a good top six winger, though. The Avs tried to force him at centre this last year with Kadri having departed and it just didn’t work at all.

If they were to use him at center, I’d hope it would happen progressively, like they did with Dach last season. Now that they’re in a long term injury situation, I wonder how they’ll choose to deploy him.
And yet we've certainly had worse. Newie didn't look out of place at center when he played there pre season. I put zero credence on anything that comes out of the mouths of Avs fans. They are totally spoiled and unrealistic when assessing Newhook. It's like they expect a raw rookie to come in and be better than Kadri was. :laugh:

His numbers are were very good for what his role was.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
What's that famous quote again?

Ah yes:.... "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results".
It just seems counterproductive to practice the PP against your own team.

Don’t these guys know how to play hockey, why not rely on instincts instead of some set play that DOESNT WORK?

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

Don’t these guys know how to play hockey, why not rely on instincts instead of some set play that DOESNT WORK?

Well our PK isn't very good either.....You'd think something has to give at that point lol.

Reactions: Rapala

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

PP is set plays in every teams.

Habs's problem are that they are shit at executing their own set plays, have like 3 in total so everyone knows what they will do and when they rely on instincts most of them can't even make/receive a pass properly so the play dies there.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
So what is Marty going to say about the special teams if they continue to suck. I'm glad there is a focus on it and they are actually trying to work on it. The issue coming to the fore early in the season will ultimately determine the fate of Burrows by the last whistle this year. Marty can give him all the support he wants but the bottom line has to determine the outcome as it should.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
PP is set plays in every teams.

Habs's problem are that they are shit at executing their own set plays, have like 3 in total so everyone knows what they will do and when they rely on instincts most of them can't even make/receive a pass properly so the play dies there.
This is where I disagree not about the execution but on set plays. I think if we look at what point on average a PP goal is scored it won't be very early on which would be the result of a set play. Good PP's are all about puck handling player movement and good read and react. The fact that we are so linear just makes it that much easier to defend. We won't have a good PP until we find a player who is comfortable playing the net front. We haven't really had anyone since Corey Perry left. The majority of PP goals are scored by breaking down or tiring the D which will open up lanes or by taking the eyes away from the goaltender. We don't do either particularly well. The natural odd man advantage will always be down low and the good power plays know how to exploit that. Our down low play is pathetic and we rarely see any three player execution.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
They don't move , that's the problem what's the point of the PP if everybody is just standing in place , everybody at their spot like its table hockey , franchement , maybe you don't need to move if you have a Marner a Backstrom or a Markov or Hedman who can really dish it around the ice to whoever they want whenever they want. We don't have a player like that so we need to MOVE to create some space out there.
F8kcX_sWkAAn798-_1_.jpg

This picure is infuriating , maybe try playing down on the goal line or something , We constantly opt for having two guys screen the goalie one in slot and one in high slot instead of rotating somebody down low for our Dman to have another passing option than the two wings. The worst part is we usually put our least talented forward in the high slot in these situations so you know if they even feed him in the high slot hes just going to put it on net not try for another lateral pass to create a defensive breakdown when the 3 opposing players around him converge on him

Last edited:
Reactions: habsfan891

expy

Nov 2, 2010
They don't move , that's the problem what's the point of the PP if everybody is just standing in place , everybody at their spot like its table hockey , franchement , maybe you don't need to move if you have a Marner a Backstrom or a Markov or Hedman who can really dish it around the ice to whoever they want whenever they want. We don't have a player like that so we need to MOVE to create some space out there.
View attachment 753830

This picure is infuriating , maybe try playing down on the goal line or something , We constantly opt for having two guys screen the goalie one in slot and one in high slot instead of rotating somebody down low for our Dman to have another passing option than the two wings. The worst part is we usually put our least talented forward in the high slot in these situations so you know if they even feed him in the high slot hes just going to put it on net not try for another lateral pass to create a defensive breakdown when the 3 opposing players around him converge on him
Gotta #FireBurrows.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In terms of faceoffs, Wild are not a team that are good in this area. Ranked 26th at the moment and the Habs are 2nd. It's early but the Habs should get a good share of puck possession after the faceoffs in this game.

Would prefer to put Slaf with Suzuki and Caufield than have him stuck with Anderson.

With Dach out, the main concerned for the season should be put Slaf in a place to gain confidence. Won’t happen with Anderson.

I'm a Anderson supporter but I agree with you on this. Anderson's lack of vision is not a good line-mate for Slaf.

Slaf ends up with Newhook at center which posses challenges. Anderson with them creates issues overall. We will see how this ends up against the Wild. They really don't have a scary roster and they have issues up the middle as well.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The Wild play a heavy game and always physically own the Habs. The Habs inability to beat these guys year after year is weird. Players move on, a new group comes in and the results don't change. I have zero confidence that the Habs win this game.

In terms of faceoffs, Wild are not a team that are good in this area. Ranked 26th at the moment and the Habs are 2nd. It's early but the Habs should get a good share of puck possession after the faceoffs in this game.

I'm a Anderson supporter but I agree with you on this. Anderson's lack of vision is not a good line-mate for Slaf.

Slaf ends up with Newhook at center which posses challenges. Anderson with them creates issues overall. We will see how this ends up against the Wild. They really don't have a scary roster and they have issues up the middle as well.
Maybe that 1OA pick needs to slowly start playing like a 1OA and makes his linemates better. I know he is young but he needs to start showing glimpses of potential.

Reactions: The Real Timo

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Any opinions on the 2 pretty underwhelming games from Jordan Harris? Does Justin Barron continue to sit?

Reactions: Redux91

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
View attachment 753830

Sometimes Caufield/Suzuki/point man do a 3 man weave up top...in slow motion while not moving the puck

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Slap a line up on add start times and broadcasts to this thread and we have our first "Mechant Mardi" GDT :sarcasm:

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Would prefer to put Slaf with Suzuki and Caufield than have him stuck with Anderson.

With Dach out, the main concerned for the season should be put Slaf in a place to gain confidence. Won’t happen with Anderson.
RHP - Suzu - Anderson was playing well together last, I would revisit that combo.

RHP - Suzuki - Anderson
CC - Newhook - Slaf
Pearson - Monahan - Ylonen
Pezz - Evans - Gally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad