Pre-Game Talk: 1st Méchant Mardi - Minny visits

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
That 2nd line won't last, Monahan is by far the best option to help Slaf/Newhook develop

Top 6 should be:

Caufield-Suzuki-RHP
Newhook-Monahan-Slaf (Newhook and Monahan can share C duties)

Anderson on the 3rd with Dvorak when he returns and Ylonen. Gallagher where he belongs on the 4th with Evans/Pearson. Throw Roy in there at some point but he's fine in Laval for now, no need to rush him.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
the best thing we can do is just use Dach's absence to make room for players who might not get games this year if Dach was playing. Roy would be an awesome addition in a little bit if he keeps killing it in the AHL.

Reactions: Runner77

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I know it's early and we just lost one of our prized young players, but damn this team is thin with talent up front.
I see it now, this will be a bottom 5 team for sure.
Hopefully we can draft another defence man.

• Haha
Reactions: Tyson

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
RHP being added to the top line is the kind of thing we'd see in the past from the habs, so I'm hesitant to think of that as a long term combo. But even with Dach out that line won't be the only scoring threat, so it will be interesting to watch it as a band-aid solution. RHP can put the puck in the net, and he'll be a good digger for that line.

Newhook and Slaf were both having success with Dach, but also one another. Their chemistry without Dach will be something to focus in on like the NHL on Bedard.

The bottom six hasn't been horrible through two games, if pezzetta is coming in I expect him to play with energy and we'll probably get a good jump from him being added.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not terribly enthusiastic if they were to slot Newhook at center now. Still remember these AVS fans comments on the day we acquired him:

Best of luck to Newy with you guys. Didn’t work out in Colorado. They tried him at Centre and it didn’t click. Maybe it was too much expectations early in his career to do so for a contending team. Hopefully he improves in Montreal and it’s a win-win for both teams.

Also:

As an FYI…I doubt Newhook will be a top six centre. He has real potential to be a good top six winger, though. The Avs tried to force him at centre this last year with Kadri having departed and it just didn’t work at all.

If they were to use him at center, I’d hope it would happen progressively, like they did with Dach last season. Now that they’re in a long term injury situation, I wonder how they’ll choose to deploy him.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Not terribly enthusiastic if they were to slot Newhook at center now. Still remember these AVS fans comments on the day we acquired him:

Best of luck to Newy with you guys. Didn’t work out in Colorado. They tried him at Centre and it didn’t click. Maybe it was too much expectations early in his career to do so for a contending team. Hopefully he improves in Montreal and it’s a win-win for both teams.

Also:

As an FYI…I doubt Newhook will be a top six centre. He has real potential to be a good top six winger, though. The Avs tried to force him at centre this last year with Kadri having departed and it just didn’t work at all.

If they were to use him at center, I’d hope it would happen progressively, like they did with Dach last season. Now that they’re in a long term injury situation, I wonder how they’ll choose to deploy him.
Newhook's looked good at center (arguably better than at wing) during his short trial here. I wouldn't put much weight into what Avs fans think, they also said that he's not that fast when it's clear nonsense.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Newhook's looked good at center (arguably better than at wing) during his short trial here. I wouldn't put much weight into what Avs fans think, they also said that he's not that fast when it's clear nonsense.
There are holes in Newhook’s game that one can complain about, but speed is not one of them. But compared to MacKinnon, I suppose most players don’t look fast.

Reactions: Habs10Habs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad