Prospect Info: Cayden Primeau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

His coach:

“He’s grown physically, and he’s a seasoned goaltender back there because he has the experience. He loves the big stage. He’s a quiet young man as you see, but he’s been on a lot of big stages. He was the goaltender that backstopped the U.S. to a silver medal in the Hlinka Tournament, the best 17-18-year-old tournament in the world. He was at World Juniors this year and got them to a silver medal. Last year, he helped our team to do the success we had last year and then again this year. The only concern I have is he’s been so good of a success that the red, white and blue in Montreal might be coming after him soon. But that’s a good thing, we’ll deal with that at the right time.”

His captain:

“[Primeau] was unbelievable tonight and last week. We don’t win this tournament without him,” Williams said. “He gives this team confidence, he gives our defense confidence with taking more risks and staying up to make plays. There were times we were on our heels this game, and he bailed us out several times. He was incredible and we feel very confident having him in our net… It’s incredible, it’s such a great feeling to get a win in my last Beanpot Tournament. It’s something none of us are ever going to forget, and I wish I could play in this tournament every year until the day I die. It’s that much fun.”

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Stats wise are there any good comparables for what Primeau has been able to accomplish? I know it's to predict for G's. He certainly seems a lot more solid that anybody we have had in a long time.

One goalie I would look at is the Flames Jon Gillies. Both played in the HE at 18 and 19,

Gillies - at 18 - 2105 mins 2.08 gaa .931% 17-12-6 5 SO
Primeau at 18 - 2005 mins 1.92 gaa .931 % 19-8-5 4 SO

Gillies at 19 - 2027 mins 2.16 gaa .931% 19-9-5 4 SO
Primeau at 19 - 1454 mins 2.31 gaa .925% 16-8-1 3 SO

Primeau still has at least 6 games plus playoffs and as long as they stay around where they are they look like a decent bet to make the ncaa tournament at the end of March. So 7 to 10 or so games left to play. His gaa is tied for 25th in the NCAA but his save % is top 10.

Reactions: WinterLion

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
One goalie I would look at is the Flames Jon Gillies. Both played in the HE at 18 and 19,

Gillies - at 18 - 2105 mins 2.08 gaa .931% 17-12-6 5 SO
Primeau at 18 - 2005 mins 1.92 gaa .931 % 19-8-5 4 SO

Gillies at 19 - 2027 mins 2.16 gaa .931% 19-9-5 4 SO
Primeau at 19 - 1454 mins 2.31 gaa .925% 16-8-1 3 SO

Primeau still has at least 6 games plus playoffs and as long as they stay around where they are they look like a decent bet to make the ncaa tournament at the end of March. So 7 to 10 or so games left to play. His gaa is tied for 25th in the NCAA but his save % is top 10.

That's a great comparable... too bad Gillies hasn't worked out that well... come to think of it, are there any #1 G's that have come out of college?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That's a great comparable... too bad Gillies hasn't worked out that well... come to think of it, are there any #1 G's that have come out of college?

I looked at Hellebuyck's numbers, he started in the NCAA at 19 but his numbers were better then Primeau's, very impressive #'s.

Not sure how he's doing this year but there's Ben Bishop, he also played in the HE but was 19. his numbers weren't as good as Primeau's and was from '05-'08.

There's Keith Kinkaid, he played in the ECAC but didn't start till he was 20. There's Jimmy Howard who also played in the HE but a long time ago.

Last edited:

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I looked at Hellebuyck's numbers, he started in the NCAA at 19 but his numbers were better then Primeau's, very impressive #'s.

Not sure how he's doing this year but there's Ben Bishop, he also played in the HE but was 19. his numbers weren't as good as Primeau's and was from '05-'08.

There's Keith Kinkaid, he played in the ECAC but didn't start till he was 20. There's Jimmy Howard who also played in the HE but a long time ago.

Right, Hellebuyk. He's pretty good! Bishop was a great goalie too.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Cory Schneider at one point was a top goaltender. No idea what happened the last two years.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Saw his thread bumped over on the prospects board about how good he was this season. Pretty phenomenal year for him so far (regular season, WJC and playoffs so far). His last 10 games have been insanely good.

Reactions: cphabs

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
His coach:

“He’s grown physically, and he’s a seasoned goaltender back there because he has the experience. He loves the big stage. He’s a quiet young man as you see, but he’s been on a lot of big stages. He was the goaltender that backstopped the U.S. to a silver medal in the Hlinka Tournament, the best 17-18-year-old tournament in the world. He was at World Juniors this year and got them to a silver medal. Last year, he helped our team to do the success we had last year and then again this year. The only concern I have is he’s been so good of a success that the red, white and blue in Montreal might be coming after him soon. But that’s a good thing, we’ll deal with that at the right time.”

His captain:

“[Primeau] was unbelievable tonight and last week. We don’t win this tournament without him,” Williams said. “He gives this team confidence, he gives our defense confidence with taking more risks and staying up to make plays. There were times we were on our heels this game, and he bailed us out several times. He was incredible and we feel very confident having him in our net… It’s incredible, it’s such a great feeling to get a win in my last Beanpot Tournament. It’s something none of us are ever going to forget, and I wish I could play in this tournament every year until the day I die. It’s that much fun.”

How many seasons until we have a Luongo/Schneider type situation?

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
His coach:

His captain:

Now that is a coach! Seriously.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Another great performance and big win last night. He now has a 2.00 GAA and .936 sv pct in the same amount of games played as last year (34).

Big game against Boston College tonight.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I remember when Price was drafted and Theo was in his prime and wondering why they drafted a goalie....it’s the same scenario here with Price. Will Primeau ever develop well enough to challenge for the #1 spot in Montreal?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I remember when Price was drafted and Theo was in his prime and wondering why they drafted a goalie....it’s the same scenario here with Price. Will Primeau ever develop well enough to challenge for the #1 spot in Montreal?

If you think about the years, it could very well make sense.

2018-19:
Price Year 1 of 8 (31)
Primeau NCAA (19)

2019-20:
Price Year 2 of 8 (32)
Primeau NCAA (20)

2020-21:
Price Year 3 of 8 (33)
Primeau AHL 1 (21)

2021-22:
Price Year 4 of 8 (34)
Primeau AHL 2 (22)

2022-23:
Price Year 5 of 8 (35)
Primeau AHL/NHL back up (23)

2023-24:
Price Year 6 of 8 (36)
Primeau NHL back up/starter (24)

After that, Price will have two years left (37 & 38) and Primeau can assume a starter's job (25).

We know very well things can change.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Even if Primeau develops into a lesser number 1, it makes sense to trade Price.

Price isn't worth his contract.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Looking good so far! Our rookies have earned some serious hardware this year!

Reactions: Tyson

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Even if Primeau develops into a lesser number 1, it makes sense to trade Price.

Price isn't worth his contract.

It does, from a fan's perspective on the big picture (2020-2030). It most certainly does not for Molson, who is more likely than not to have Bergevin never trade the guy for fear of brand reprisal. 'Another Roy trade' would be the negative theme across QC and he doesn't want it. Should he have enough balls to issue a rebuild letter to fans the way NYR did? Doesn't sound like something Geoff Molson would do.

Price is staying and Primeau will hopefully take over in 4-5 years and be a reliable, slightly above league average goalie. That's reality, I think.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If you think about the years, it could very well make sense.

2018-19:
Price Year 1 of 8 (31)
Primeau NCAA (19)

2019-20:
Price Year 2 of 8 (32)
Primeau NCAA (20)

2020-21:
Price Year 3 of 8 (33)
Primeau AHL 1 (21)

2021-22:
Price Year 4 of 8 (34)
Primeau AHL 2 (22)

2022-23:
Price Year 5 of 8 (35)
Primeau AHL/NHL back up (23)

2023-24:
Price Year 6 of 8 (36)
Primeau NHL back up/starter (24)

After that, Price will have two years left (37 & 38) and Primeau can assume a starter's job (25).

We know very well things can change.
Laid out very well...

Also Primeau becomes a nice asset to move for high end talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad