Prospect Info: Cayden Primeau

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I thought Primeau should get another year in the NCAA. Now, I'm not no sure. Kid seems ready for pro-hockey.

He doesn't have much to prove in NCAA anymore.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I thought Primeau should get another year in the NCAA. Now, I'm not no sure. Kid seems ready for pro-hockey.

He doesn't have much to prove in NCAA anymore.

It fits the timeline better if he does though. Sign him after next year then keep him in the AHL for two years. He comes in as backup in year 5 of 8 of Price's contract and take the rein somewhere in the 8 year or when Price's contract expires. Primeau would be around 26 years old at that point.

Reactions: Vachon23 and Habset

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It fits the timeline better if he does though. Sign him after next year then keep him in the AHL for two years. He comes in as backup in year 5 of 8 of Price's contract and take the rein somewhere in the 8 year or when Price's contract expires. Primeau would be around 26 years old at that point.

I mean exactly, but that would be the only reason he stays another year. The timeline. Next year, I'd like McNiven to take the reigns as #1 with LaCouvee as back up in the AHL. The Habs plan was always to have Lindgren be backup to Price, so there's not room for Primeau this year.

He looks great though.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
If he continues to follow this trajectory, he should be a starter well before the age of 26. I can see him following a Carter Hart progression if given the chance. Almost a waste for us to hold him back. He very well could be a piece that we could use to get a star player.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If he continues to follow this trajectory, he should be a starter well before the age of 26. I can see him following a Carter Hart progression if given the chance. Almost a waste for us to hold him back. He very well could be a piece that we could use to get a star player.

Or you take the hit in the goaltending department, get the best haul you can for Price.. and use that cap space to address other areas of the team.

If you get 90% of Carey Price.. I.E. a Dubnyk level starter and free up the cap hit to grab a top 6 forward or a top 4 D, it's the right move. We are paying Carey Price for what he's done, not what he is doing, and that's when organizations like Patriots move the franchise guy and bring in the younger talent.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Or you take the hit in the goaltending department, get the best haul you can for Price.. and use that cap space to address other areas of the team.

If you get 90% of Carey Price.. I.E. a Dubnyk level starter and free up the cap hit to grab a top 6 forward or a top 4 D, it's the right move. We are paying Carey Price for what he's done, not what he is doing, and that's when organizations like Patriots move the franchise guy and bring in the younger talent.
Realistically between management loving Price and that he has a NMC, that isn’t an option. I can’t see it. Imagine management approaching Price for a trade and he pulls a Kesler and says , “Sure, I want to go to <insert city> and that’s it.” Now you’ve committed to trade him for pennies on the dollar. That might just get the GM fired.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Realistically between management loving Price and that he has a NMC, that isn’t an option. I can’t see it. Imagine management approaching Price for a trade and he pulls a Kesler and says , “Sure, I want to go to <insert city> and that’s it.” Now you’ve committed to trade him for pennies on the dollar. That might just get the GM fired.

Tampa did alright when it happened with St Louis.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Tampa did alright when it happened with St Louis.

Goalies aren't worth that much.

Just like trying to dangle Primeau to land a legitimate prospect for him is pointless because no one will offer what the habs would be looking for.

Price at 10.5 mill would also require retaining on him, or taking back a big contract, too.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Goalies aren't worth that much.

Just like trying to dangle Primeau to land a legitimate prospect for him is pointless because no one will offer what the habs would be looking for.

Price at 10.5 mill would also require retaining on him, or taking back a big contract, too.

Can't control the impact of signing him to that deal instead of trading him but you're right on one thing, the value of Primeau as a prospect won't be as high as people think.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
He should be exempt from the Seattle draft, shouldn't he? He could be an interesting pick if he is eligible and all we are exposing is emelin/hudon level players again. We only need to expose one goalie though and i assume it will be lindgren

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
He should be exempt from the Seattle draft, shouldn't he? He could be an interesting pick if he is eligible and all we are exposing is emelin/hudon level players again. We only need to expose one goalie though and i assume it will be lindgren
I think as long as he plays less than 10 games this season he won't be available for the Seattle draft.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
19 year old 6’3 190lb goaltender? The kid that just grinded it out in the WJC and is now headed for a possible NCAA championship? I’d keep him just in case he blossoms at 27.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
19 year old 6’3 190lb goaltender? The kid that just grinded it out in the WJC and is now headed for a possible NCAA championship? I’d keep him just in case he blossoms at 27.
I can see him playing all 4 years and going UFA

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I

don’t know about that, but the kid is a keeper in my books.
He has huge upside. I hate that NCAA loophole and I hope it gets changed. He sees Price signed for 7 more years...he knows he will probably never be a starter in Montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He has huge upside. I hate that NCAA loophole and I hope it gets changed. He sees Price signed for 7 more years...he knows he will probably never be a starter in Montreal

he doesn't qualify for the loophole, he can opt to sign with the Habs but so can every NHL draft pick.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

If anything, the fact that we have Price and Waite would make him more interested in signing with us. Learning from the best is the best way to develop...

Lindgren said it himself a few years ago that the reason he chose Montreal was because he wanted to learn from Price and Waite. He knew Price was going to be the number 1 goalie in MTL for a long time, but it didnt matter.

Reactions: Tyson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad