Prospect Info: Cayden Primeau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
he doesn't qualify for the loophole, he can opt to sign with the Habs but so can every NHL draft pick.
How does any NCAA player “qualify for the loophole”? Does Poehling? Did Evans? I need to better understand this tactic that NCAA players have used including our very own Mike Reilly I believe.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
It fits the timeline better if he does though. Sign him after next year then keep him in the AHL for two years. He comes in as backup in year 5 of 8 of Price's contract and take the rein somewhere in the 8 year or when Price's contract expires. Primeau would be around 26 years old at that point.

Sorry, but this is absolutely ridiculous.

1) You don’t keep guys who perform down on purpose.
2) You can’t plan 6-8 years ahead, and this is why you don’t keep guys down on purpose.
3) What about the asset value of Price?!? If Primeau becomes an elite young goalie, we can trade Price and get a great return, you don’t want that?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How does any NCAA player “qualify for the loophole”? Does Poehling? Did Evans? I need to better understand this tactic that NCAA players have used including our very own Mike Reilly I believe.

I posted this in the Poehling thread,

if we had the room I would make this a sticky since I seem to post it a few times a year. With NCAA prospects you have to remember they fall into 2 categories. They either qualify for the loophole or they don't.

In order to qualify for the loophole said draft pick MUST not go directly to the NCAA after being drafted. If he's drafted and the next season he plays somewhere other then the NCAA, then he qualifies for the loophole. That means that if he wishes, after his Junior year he can inform the team that he is going to opt out and become a UFA on July 1st that follows the end of his junior year.

If said draft pick gets drafted in June and plays in the NCAA in the fall, or was drafted out of the NCAA then they do NOT qualify for the loophole and then they must be signed by August 15th following the end of their Senior year. They can chose not to sign and become a UFA after August 15th.

ANY prospect can refuse to sign with an NHL team. If they do it depends on their age if they are to re-enter the draft or not. Since most NCAAers will be over 20 by the time they can refuse to sign they are too old to re-enter the draft.

So for the Habs, Poehling, Primeau, Harris, Gorniak, none of them qualify for the loophole. Hawkey did qualify for the loophole last year but he didn't go that route.

Reactions: Tyson

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I can see him playing all 4 years and going UFA

I don't. Kid at best has 1 more year of NCAA hockey. He needs to continue to grow and challenge himself. Another 2 years in college is pointless.

On top of that, he seems appreciative that Montreal drafted him as he almost didn't get drafted.

People always say that yet I can't recall a single instance where one of our college draftees bailed on us.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Sorry, but this is absolutely ridiculous.

1) You don’t keep guys who perform down on purpose.
2) You can’t plan 6-8 years ahead, and this is why you don’t keep guys down on purpose.
3) What about the asset value of Price?!? If Primeau becomes an elite young goalie, we can trade Price and get a great return, you don’t want that?

1) I mean, why not start him as the NHL starter right now then? He can still get better in the NCAA. Getting him to the AHL as a backup to McNiven helps him less than being the starter in the NCAA. If he's to be the AHL starter, you're basically throwing whatever potential was left in McNiven to the garbage. It also prevents us from signing a UDFA goalie this year to try to strike gold (or a better backup than Lindgren/McNiven while Primeau gets ready). We have the luxury to take our time with him since we have Price to make sure he's cooked right and not rushed and burned. It also gives us more years of control salary wise.

2) If he's ready to be an NHL starter in less than 4 years, great. I'm just basing myself on the fact most goalies don't reach the NHL until 22-23 and don't become starter before 25+. Whether we sign him right now or next year is pretty irrelevant to his development and fits our loose plan better. If he only needs 1 AHL year (or even only 1/2 year) so be it, we'll trade Lindgren or whoever is our backup to make space for him.

3) If Primeau becomes a Price level goalie in the next 7 years sure, but I don't think he'll be a top tier starter this fast, if ever.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I wonder where he would go in a 2017 redraft. He really looks like a top 10 goaltender prospects in the league.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
1) I mean, why not start him as the NHL starter right now then? He can still get better in the NCAA. Getting him to the AHL as a backup to McNiven helps him less than being the starter in the NCAA. If he's to be the AHL starter, you're basically throwing whatever potential was left in McNiven to the garbage. It also prevents us from signing a UDFA goalie this year to try to strike gold (or a better backup than Lindgren/McNiven while Primeau gets ready). We have the luxury to take our time with him since we have Price to make sure he's cooked right and not rushed and burned. It also gives us more years of control salary wise.

2) If he's ready to be an NHL starter in less than 4 years, great. I'm just basing myself on the fact most goalies don't reach the NHL until 22-23 and don't become starter before 25+. Whether we sign him right now or next year is pretty irrelevant to his development and fits our loose plan better. If he only needs 1 AHL year (or even only 1/2 year) so be it, we'll trade Lindgren or whoever is our backup to make space for him.

3) If Primeau becomes a Price level goalie in the next 7 years sure, but I don't think he'll be a top tier starter this fast, if ever.

1) Let's go to the opposite argument because it is fun right? I wasn't suggesting to rush him and I don't have to tell you that.

2) It is relevant, and each prospect is different, he might take 2 years or 5. Lindgren has 0 value right now, every team has Lindgrens. We win when we can trade Price early...

3) Relativism won't get you anywhere. He's a good prospect, we shouldn't dictate the ceiling. Doesn't matter where/at what level he plays at, if he shows himself to be too good and ready for a promotion, he should get it. Price will also decline...

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
1) Let's go to the opposite argument because it is fun right? I wasn't suggesting to rush him and I don't have to tell you that.

2) It is relevant, and each prospect is different, he might take 2 years or 5. Lindgren has 0 value right now, every team has Lindgrens. We win when we can trade Price early...

3) Relativism won't get you anywhere. He's a good prospect, we shouldn't dictate the ceiling. Doesn't matter where/at what level he plays at, if he shows himself to be too good and ready for a promotion, he should get it. Price will also decline...

2) I don't think him playing in the AHL next year is gonna change his development in a significant manner vs NCAA, therefore keeping him in the NCAA next year where he can still improve is a better move cap wise and roster management wise.

3) Why are you so bent on trading Price when we don't have a bona fide replacement yet?

Sign him next year, see where he's at next year and go from there next year. The only reason to sign him this year is if he insists on signing this year and not doing so would upset him, but we have no indication that this is the case.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I can see him playing all 4 years and going UFA

There is actually an interview where he basically said thank you to Montreal for having enough faith in him not only to draft him but to actually trade for the pick to do so.

The reporter then asked are you hoping to prove everyone who passed on you wrong and his response was "No I want to prove the Canadiens right".

There was another article where he said he wants to be another member of the Habs goalie dynasty.

I'm not worried about him signing here. His age works out nice with Price's aswell as price gets older they can each play half the year and he can transition into the starter role that way.

Reactions: savard95 and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
There is actually an interview where he basically said thank you to Montreal for having enough faith in him not only to draft him but to actually trade for the pick to do so.

The reporter then asked are you hoping to prove everyone who passed on you wrong and his response was "No I want to prove the Canadiens right".

There was another article where he said he wants to be another member of the Habs goalie dynasty.

I'm not worried about him signing here. His age works out nice with Price's aswell as price gets older they can each play half the year and he can transition into the starter role that way.
Ironically his dad’s career ended on Bell Center Ice

Reactions: savard95

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So in the end, you draft a player in the NCAA for the great advantage to see him 4 years before you can take a decision, yet...if you don't want to lose the said player, you shouldn't leave him there 'cause he might chose to go so....there's actually no more advantage to draft a player out of there other than treating him like a junior player....and signing him no later than 2 years after being drafted.

Reactions: SOLR

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Thanks for clarifying, I need to stop looking at posts in a negative light.
This place does have that affect on us lol

Like let’s be real, there’s mainly a negative vibe on this forum, even after victories, the focus turns to seasons past that have failed

Reactions: Tyson

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
So in the end, you draft a player in the NCAA for the great advantage to see him 4 years before you can take a decision, yet...if you don't want to lose the said player, you shouldn't leave him there 'cause he might chose to go so....there's actually no more advantage to draft a player out of there other than treating him like a junior player....and signing him no later than 2 years after being drafted.
There probably more advantage drafting a Russian player since there is no transfer agreement the team keep is right indefinitely...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
There probably more advantage drafting a Russian player since there is no transfer agreement the team keep is right indefinitely...

the problem then becomes money, as they won't make much playing in the AHL on their ELC (72K or so) and if they do well in the KHL they will get a good bit of money plus things like free apartment, car, etc..

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
I know the chances of him staying NCAA next year are big but hes won everything he needs to really. Get the kid playing 1G in Laval and start priming him. IMO he'll be a starter. If not with us then wherever he goes

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

This answer is truly under rated and shows how mature the kid is at such a young age.

I never liked Zadina at the draft and was realy scared of Montreal drafting him where we were drafting and his answer about filling the net of Montreal to pass on him had just confirmed me we did the right thing! Anyway we drafted the player i wanted since april so yeah even better!

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
2) I don't think him playing in the AHL next year is gonna change his development in a significant manner vs NCAA, therefore keeping him in the NCAA next year where he can still improve is a better move cap wise and roster management wise.

3) Why are you so bent on trading Price when we don't have a bona fide replacement yet?

Sign him next year, see where he's at next year and go from there next year. The only reason to sign him this year is if he insists on signing this year and not doing so would upset him, but we have no indication that this is the case.

2) Depends on the team evaluation of where he is, it does not, for sure, make it better to keep anyone anywhere. Of course if you think any team should be managed on hfboards where players are *kept at low levels* regardless of how they play just so that some pundits can appear legitimate for *managing prospects career* and the team's salary cap.

3) I'm not hell bent on trading anyone, it just happens that's how teams win: when they can sell high and buy low. If you can draft and develop well, one of the resulting effect is that you can trade away veterans that still have value (selling high), thus perpetuating the cycle and improving the chance the team will be round up with more/better talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad