Prospect Info: #19 OA - C/W Evgeny Svechnikov, QMJHL

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He isn't a power forward.

Svechnikov is a power forward, at least I firmly believe he will be one in the NHL. People got upset with it but he really does remind me of Abdelkader with much better hands. Dude is rugged, likes the front of the net and enjoys tattooing guys in terms of his physicality. He has a real nasty element to his game when I watch him and is a heavy player. I hope he can make strides in his skating though, that is the real question mark with him.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
You've watched him more than most I imagine, what's your player comparison for Svech?

Honestly I'm not entirely sure... I've never been great with comparisons though.

Deceptive shot, quick and accurate release, creativity on the powerplay with exceptional vision.

Below average skating, especially when pivoting / backwards skating, but still capable of completing zone entries using puck handling skills and powerful strides.

Fiery on the ice, won't put up with someone hacking at him behind the play or anything, commonly takes minor penalties due to this. Sometimes it feels like the refs take only Svech when it should be both of the guys going for minors (but maybe thats just my bias).

He is definitely interesting... hard to say exactly what path his development will take but he is an extremely hard working kid and has a willingness to learn.. very coachable.

Hope for the best for him after this upcoming playoff run for himself and the Eagles.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Svechnikov is a power forward, at least I firmly believe he will be one in the NHL. People got upset with it but he really does remind me of Abdelkader with much better hands. Dude is rugged, likes the front of the net and enjoys tattooing guys in terms of his physicality. He has a real nasty element to his game when I watch him and is a heavy player. I hope he can make strides in his skating though, that is the real question mark with him.

That's awesome! :laugh:

We have our Helm with better hands in Larkin, and hopefully our Abby with better hands in Svech. :yo:

Why would anyone have a problem with an Abby with better hands? I assume you probably include hockey IQ in that, at least offensively? That would be an awesome player. Physical, works the hard areas, then add good hands.

Hopefully in the next few drafts we'll find our Sproul with better defense. One can dream...

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Honestly I'm not entirely sure... I've never been great with comparisons though.

Deceptive shot, quick and accurate release, creativity on the powerplay with exceptional vision.

Below average skating, especially when pivoting / backwards skating, but still capable of completing zone entries using puck handling skills and powerful strides.

Fiery on the ice, won't put up with someone hacking at him behind the play or anything, commonly takes minor penalties due to this. Sometimes it feels like the refs take only Svech when it should be both of the guys going for minors (but maybe thats just my bias).

He is definitely interesting... hard to say exactly what path his development will take but he is an extremely hard working kid and has a willingness to learn.. very coachable.

Hope for the best for him after this upcoming playoff run for himself and the Eagles.

Thanks for the response!

Though I'm a bit bummed you're not quite sure of a player comparison, based on your description I'm not really sure I could either :laugh:

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Thanks for the response!

Though I'm a bit bummed you're not quite sure of a player comparison, based on your description I'm not really sure I could either :laugh:

Hartnell is the only player I could think of based on the description, haven't actually seen him play

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That's awesome! :laugh:

We have our Helm with better hands in Larkin, and hopefully our Abby with better hands in Svech. :yo:

Why would anyone have a problem with an Abby with better hands? I assume you probably include hockey IQ in that, at least offensively? That would be an awesome player. Physical, works the hard areas, then add good hands.

Hopefully in the next few drafts we'll find our Sproul with better defense. One can dream...

He has got much better vision. Abdelkader's hockey IQ isn't as bad as some like to say around here.

The point is more Svech relishes the physicality of hockey in my opinion. He has a hard-working won't back down mentality. If he was Canadian I don't think people would shut up about it....

The real problem with the Abdelkader projection though is Abby is a pretty good skater. I am not sure Svech cannot gain a few steps though in all honesty. He is a powerful young man in terms of stride, if we can get it to click in terms of the skating and a little more agility he really does have frightening potential. But you never know, had Ouellet had a little more pickup in his skating not just the half step but the full step quicker or heck two you have a first pairing player, but his skating gains have been marginal.

But I like the big powerful lower body skaters to make gains in that department as they age. I think Svech has that in terms of when you watch him play. Now it is refining it and much like Glendening, Andersson or Abelkader who are hard working guys I could see significant gains happening in his skating. Before everyone laughs, yes Joakim Andersson is slow, but honestly he made huge gains in his skating to be what he is so I include him when thinking of this.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Any reason why Svech had such a bad Junior's Tournament?

That was mostly his role on the team. I don't think he is suited to international ice though either. His skating was a real issue when watching that tournament. But then again his role was to be heavy down low and that is what he did. It would have been nicer to see him do more, but honestly as a NHL fan I found what his strengths were encouraging. If he can't make it here though, he isn't a guy I predict stardom for in the KHL even given his talent. That style of play doesn't seem to suit him.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Any reason why Svech had such a bad Junior's Tournament?
A couple of reasons, really. One is that his style wasn't really compatible with his teammates. He was playing a physical crash and bang type game in the corners, but they were playing more of an up-and-down speedy finesse game. It didn't really help that all the big teams were playing an absurd wide-open track meet style game that tournament. I think Russia's game plan was to out-skate the other teams, which really made Svechnikov stick out.

The other thing is they were playing on a bigger ice surface, so that made his lack of speed look even worse. But I think if teams were playing NHL-style defense and forechecking on normal ice, Svechnikov wouldn't have looked nearly so bad. and, like I said, it didn't really help that Svechnikov was engaging in boardplay and stuff when his team clearly wasn't interested in it.

That said, his coach downplayed a lot of the criticism. He said a couple of times that Svechnikov did exactly what he was asked to do. So it might be that he was asked to play a grinder's role. For the record, I thought he looked physically dominant. Whenever he went into the corner for the puck, he got it, and it took 2 defenders to get it back. He also had some big hits. And his coach had him playing net front on the PP, so it's not like he was getting benched. He got some decent playing time... probably around 13-14 min a game.

I suspect a big part of the "Svechnikov is terrible" line of thinking on this website is tied up with the kinds of posters who want to believe that the CHL ruins young Russian players. With some help from the usual suspects, who don't watch games and only judge prospects based on draft position and point totals.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I suspect a big part of the "Svechnikov is terrible" line of thinking on this website is tied up with the kinds of posters who want to believe that the CHL ruins young Russian players. With some help from the usual suspects, who don't watch games and only judge prospects based on draft position and point totals.

Just to be clear I have not done any research on svechnikov yet. I just remember he didn't have any points in that tournament and others said that he "didn't look good". But who knows, maybe they were hoping for a Larkin performance.

Its nice to hear he can use and throw his weight around. Also sounds like he has a good shot.

I hope his development keeps working for him.

When will he come to the AHL? Next year?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Just to be clear I have not done any research on svechnikov yet. I just remember he didn't have any points in that tournament and others said that he "didn't look good". But who knows, maybe they were hoping for a Larkin performance.

Its nice to hear he can use and throw his weight around. Also sounds like he has a good shot.

I hope his development keeps working for him.

When will he come to the AHL? Next year?

Yes, he will be in GR next year.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Flat out he can't skate.
Thing is, I've seen him skate well at other tournaments within the last year. I'm not convinced the WJC was a defining example of his game. I'm not sure if he's just bulked up too much or if he was hurt or something, but he hasn't always been that slow.

But I think he also has kind of a Mantha thing going on where he doesn't move his feet enough. People (absolutely insane people, I might add) people kept saying Mantha was slow, and it was just that he wasn't skating hard.

Like this clip from earlier this year:

Svechnikov actually looks reasonably quick when he wants to be, but most of the time he's standing around or floating a bit. He definitely needs somebody to coach that out of him. Everybody looks slow when they're stop and go all the time. And certainly Svechnikov, who needs to work harder on his acceleration this summer.

Last edited:

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
I can't wait to watch this guy, very pumped. Abby with hands is exactly what Detroit needs.

Will someone compare Svechnikov's skating to Holmstrom's or Hudler's? Those two could/can impact a game and can't skate a lick.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
While his skating is not "great" and certainly needs to improve, I do think it is developmentally appropriate for a player of his size that was drafted where he was drafted. He needs to devote some real time to it, but a lot of bigger guys have the same issue. I think the big ice at the WJC made it look worse than it actually is and served as a bit of an echo chamber for the vocal Russians on the main board arguing that the CHL is awful for the development of Russians.

Svech is very skilled and will be fine. At the end of the day he will make his living below the dots anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad