Prospect Info: #19 OA - C/W Evgeny Svechnikov, QMJHL

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I feel like Svech is going to be a perfect compliment player for a couple of more pure skill guys. Something like a peak scoring Lapointe/ Cleary/ Burrows type, but I think he has a bit more skill and a little less grit. Basically he'll fill the role they try to put Abby in, but actually have the skill to be a proper support player. He'll never anchor a line, but he could be the part that puts it over the top.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
What's the rush? Let's keep his confidence going in the AHL

We don't have the luxury of letting players waste in the AHL anymore with the crap we have on thr NHL roster.

Call him up for a few games and see what he can do. It is not going to destroy his development to do so.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
We don't have the luxury of letting players waste in the AHL anymore with the crap we have on thr NHL roster.

Call him up for a few games and see what he can do. It is not going to destroy his development to do so.

Assuming they sell at the deadline I have to imagine a number of Griffins get games in the NHL, including Russo and Bertuzzi.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Griffins are gonna make the playoffs right? What's the point in calling them up. Just do it next year

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007

Jurco struggled at first in the AHL, then had a good 30 games or so and was called up. Not saying thats what ruined his development but I would wait a little longer for Svechnikov to get the call. Frk, Nosek, and Bertuzzi are probably all above him on the depth chart for better or worse. Development aside I would love to call him up to see what he's got, maybe he pulls a Larkin and never looks back.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I see him looking comparable to our other wingers kind of coming up. This year he's learning the game, no call-up. Next year is around a PPG, comes up for 8-15 games and is kind of off. Shows a bit of flashes here and there, returns to Grand Rapids. Third year starts in the AHL, tears it up, is the man, comes up and is kind of too good to return.

Tomas Jurco did so in Y2, Mantha in Y3. Sheahan came up in Y3 I believe and was that guy. Next year is Little Bertuzzi's last year in Grand Rapids without needing waivers so I expect him to get some big looks.

I expect Tomas Nosek to crack the Wings roster next year, likely starting off as a scratch. Following year Bertuzzi.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015

I'd wait. He started off slow in the AHL, now he's doing good and we're going to mess with that? No, I'd call others up before him. Maybe give him a game or two at the very end of the season if we have injuries but right now I'm letting him stay confident in the ahl.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I'd wait. He started off slow in the AHL, now he's doing good and we're going to mess with that? No, I'd call others up before him. Maybe give him a game or two at the very end of the season if we have injuries but right now I'm letting him stay confident in the ahl.

It is called rewarding players who do well with call ups. Every single team except Detroit it.

The Wings can't score goals, Svech is playing really well and is their best prospect.

Give Svech a few games put him with Larkin and see if he can create some room for him.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Tomas Nosek/Tyler Bertuzzi
Chevy.

I'd like to see him play in the last regular season game though assuming we can get him up.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Don't see the problem with a cup of coffee as a reward. Gives him some cash, gives him a taste of the NHL. Maybe he's real good. Maybe he sees lots of things he needs to focus on back in the AHL. Don't see much downside to it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Keep doing your thing Chevy.

Really was hoping Chabot lasted another pick in that '15 draft, but I've never wavered on Svechnikov. Could be a great add to the top 6 with the jam he plays with.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I was at the game and he made a hell of a play to set up the first goal.

But he has the horrible tendacy to do behind the back blind passes right to the other team.

He is NOT ready for the NHL quite yet. He needs the rest of this year for sure. But sometime next year he will be ready is my guess. He still needs to add some muscle as well.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Griffins are gonna make the playoffs right? What's the point in calling them up. Just do it next year

Depends on what the Wings do between now and the trade deadline. Griffins are in first place in the Central Division and 1st in the Western Conference. If the Wings do become a seller, then the impact will be felt here in GR and could impact our playoff run. The Wings have too many D's that are sitting out and at some point one or two of them will have to clear waivers to make room for players coming back from injury (Ott, Howard, Larkin, Vanek, & Marchenko).

For forwards, you might see the Wings take a good look at Nosek & Bertuzzi as both of these players can be sent down still this season without clearing waivers. They both will have to clear waivers next season. The Wings also have to decided at some point what to do with Frk & Callahan as their contracts are up after this season. Svech has improved for the past 15 games as he has not taken the stupid penalties lately as he did in the first 20 games in the season. Starting to produce on a consistent basis, but he is at least 1-2 seasons away from being called up. It is his first pro season. Matt Lorito could also get a real good look as he was our leading scorer and he too is at the AHL All-Star Game. He is coming off a shoulder injury and he has only played the last 2 games as he was out for the last 3 weeks.

On defense, Russo is currently struggling here (although he got his points early this season and he made it to the AHL All-Star Game) so I do not see him getting called up to the Wings at all this season. With Sproul, Ouellet, Jensen, and Marchenko rotating around in Detroit, there is no opening for Russo at this time. Lashoff filled in for a few games earlier this season in Detroit and that would have been the time that Russo would have gotten his call up, but he did not.

In goal, Pasquale and Cal Heeter is doing fine guarding the nets while Coreau is in Detroit. Howard is suppose to play a game or two here in GR before playing in Detroit for conditioning. There might be a D coming from Detroit on a conditioning stint as well (either Marchenko or Smith) as well.

:handclap::naughty::rant::laugh::)

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
Don't rush the kid. Seems like he is just starting to figure it out. I'm fine if he doesn't see the NHL till next year sometime. Feel we rushed Jurco a bit who could have used more seasoning at the AHL level initially which feels weird saying as a Wings fan.

Shonky

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Was lookin at the projected lineups for next season and didnt see Svech, not a Wings fan but its my understanding they keep the young guys in development for a while. When do you guys see him comin up? How many games nexr yr?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->