Prospect Info: #19 OA - C/W Evgeny Svechnikov, QMJHL

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
just wondering about his skating, i remember when he got drafted commentators were talking about an explosive step and agile guy, are we thinking he regressed? or hasnt improved?

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=772467
I think it's more like he took it upon himself to get completely jacked in the offseason and it was a bit too much. He's a physical beast now, he just needs to trim down a bit, I think. You can especially see it in his first few strides.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
just wondering about his skating, i remember when he got drafted commentators were talking about an explosive step and agile guy, are we thinking he regressed? or hasnt improved?

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=772467

It says he has a "long deceptive stride", which is true.

I didn't see it say "explosive step" anywhere in there, unless I missed something.

His speed is fine for his size, he just needs to work on his acceleration. Holland has said as much. Not sure if it has got worse since being drafted, or not.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
So, who in the NHL does svechnikov compare to, stylistically?

I haven't watched many games of his - ive seen some qmjhl highlights, a few griffins games, and preseason nhl games. I know he's not a great skater, but he has great hands and seems very shifty, and is creative and willing to try a lot of moves. Seems to have good vision and high offensive IQ. I still don't have a "feel" for how he plays though, just haven't watched enough.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I haven't watched many games of his - ive seen some qmjhl highlights, a few griffins games, and preseason nhl games. I know he's not a great skater, but he has great hands and seems very shifty, and is creative and willing to try a lot of moves. Seems to have good vision and high offensive IQ. I still don't have a "feel" for how he plays though, just haven't watched enough.

At highest:
- Jamie Benn

At lowest
- Tomas Holmström

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Kind of reminds me of Landeskog. Or Kulemin his first couple seasons.

Style wise maybe but his lowest potential isnt a 30 goal scorer

Homer wouldn't even sniff 20 goals if he played on this current team in his prime. Crazy what happens when you play on a PP unit with Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Style wise maybe but his lowest potential isnt a 30 goal scorer

Holmström always was more a product of the system/linemates, than a pure 30-goal scorer.

He earned a chance to play with league-best players, mostly on PP, and had inflated stats.

Prime Svechnikov could be the same if put on the PP net-front with ultimate talents like Dats, Zeta, Lidas and Raffy.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Svech's shot is way too good to compare him to Homer. Landeskog isn't the worst thing, but the defensive game isn't comparable. Offensively, perhaps.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Holmström always was more a product of the system/linemates, than a pure 30-goal scorer.

He earned a chance to play with league-best players, mostly on PP, and had inflated stats.

Prime Svechnikov could be the same if put on the PP net-front with ultimate talents like Dats, Zeta, Lidas and Raffy.

Holmström was outstanding at what he did in the system. No one was better at "net front presence", blocking the goalies view and tipping shots. Would Lids, Z, or Dats have as many points if someone else was in front of the net? I don't think so.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Oh wow, this is dramatically underselling Holmstrom. Holmstrom's net presence was unrivaled, and yes it was a very specific talent, but it elevated his peers as well. Lidstrom put the puck in a good spot and he made it go in the net. It was a partnership that was very special in the league.

Lidstrom would be the first person to give Holmstrom heaps of credit.

Holmström was outstanding at what he did in the system. No one was better at "net front presence", blocking the goalies view and tipping shots. Would Lids, Z, or Dats have as many points if someone else was in front of the net? I don't think so.

Agreed.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

If anything, Holmstrom's stats rarely reflected how many goals he had a hand in creating. He was a special talent.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
At highest:
- Jamie Benn

At lowest
- Tomas Holmström

Yeah I like the Jamie Benn for his absolute "hits it out of the park" best case scenario. But Homer was an awesome player and Svech probably will not be that good. I'd say his base is more of a stronger, meaner Abdelkader type guy. A strong, physical player who occasionally puts up surprising numbers if put in the right situation and can move up the lineup but belongs on most teams' 3rd line. Svech occasionally has a dirty hit, but also has tremendous skill. Hopefully his offensive game translates. I also see some Vanek in him to keep up Wings comparables.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yeah I like the Jamie Benn for his absolute "hits it out of the park" best case scenario. But Homer was an awesome player and Svech probably will not be that good. I'd say his base is more of a stronger, meaner Abdelkader type guy. A strong, physical player who occasionally puts up surprising numbers if put in the right situation and can move up the lineup but belongs on most teams' 3rd line. Svech occasionally has a dirty hit, but also has tremendous skill. Hopefully his offensive game translates. I also see some Vanek in him to keep up Wings comparables.

I know he has much better skills than Aby , but stronger and physical sounds intriguing . Does he fights?
We have already to many wingers, that making him tradable assed . His brother Andrey is much better player and will be available 2018 draft . Andrey like to be in the same team with his brother

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015

Well no two players are alike. We don't know how much of his skill will translate to the NHL. He could end up as a grinder or skilled player or both. Could be kovy, vorachek, abby, max p, jurco, benn, homer, malkin, radulov, maltby.
- those players are all different, we just don't know which of his game will translate so it's impossible to answer the question.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
How is svechnikov's skating? I remember reading his skating wasn't his best attribute, but they also said Mantha was a lug. Mantha is an extremely underrated skater.

svech can't be as bad as Holmstrom in his prime, right?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
If anything, Holmstrom's stats rarely reflected how many goals he had a hand in creating. He was a special talent.

For sure.

And due to his net front abilities and reputation, I feel like Homer's overall offensive game gets really underrated. He was really good at winning 50/50 pucks and board battles in the O-zone. People talk about being gritty and heavy in the corners; a guy like Abdelkader doesn't sniff prime Homer's jock at this. Additionally, Homer was also very good at getting rid of the puck. He wasn't one of those guys who could win a puck battle but then eventually turned it over because he couldn't play with his head up. After he won puck battles he was quick at finding the likes of Lidstrom, Fedorov, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg.

Did Homer benefit from the talent surrounded him? Absolutely. But so did they.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
At highest:
- Jamie Benn

At lowest
- Tomas Holmström

There is no way he becomes Benn. None. Svechnikov is a classic example of people associating the occasional flashy skills with vision and IQ but Svechnikov has nothing close to Benn's or any elite NHLer's IQ for that matter. In fact, its a weakness of his and you can see it nightly against better competition.

And there is no way his lowest potential is Homer. Try a more naturally physical Jurco. Present-day Jurco. Or a mean Sheahan. His ceiling is probably a Brayden Schenn variant. Thats not a bad ceiling to have but its going to take some time.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
For sure.

And due to his net front abilities and reputation, I feel like Homer's overall offensive game gets really underrated. He was really good at winning 50/50 pucks and board battles in the O-zone. People talk about being gritty and heavy in the corners; a guy like Abdelkader doesn't sniff prime Homer's jock at this. Additionally, Homer was also very good at getting rid of the puck. He wasn't one of those guys who could win a puck battle but then eventually turned it over because he couldn't play with his head up. After he won puck battles he was quick at finding the likes of Lidstrom, Fedorov, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg.

Did Homer benefit from the talent surrounded him? Absolutely. But so did they.

Exactly. I seem to remember a stat about how the Wings PP fared when it didn't have Datsyuk vs how it fared when it didn't have Homer and the lack of Homer there was much more detrimental than Datsyuk not being there.

And regardless of stats, if Homer wasn't so great, more people would be able to replicate his game - and yet no one has. Even when its their last chance to make an offensive impact, fewer than a handful have come close to what Homer does since his peak.

ginnungagap

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
I think the scout's comp pre-draft for Svechnikov was Rick Nash- although of course that's comparing a late first rounder to a 1st overall pick so it's more like elements of his game compared to Nash's or think lower case "rick nash". Still seems like a decent comp though- nice shot, long skating stride, good size and effective physical game when needed- but primarily a skill guy.

He is coming on pretty good as of late. If he keeps it up till the end of the season it'll be a nice adjustment to the pro game.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
How is svechnikov's skating? I remember reading his skating wasn't his best attribute, but they also said Mantha was a lug. Mantha is an extremely underrated skater.

svech can't be as bad as Holmstrom in his prime, right?

Pretty sure Mantha's skating was one of his attributes in the draft. The fact he could score, had a big body and could skate well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlJqWJ1jC3Q

0:19

Skating 4/5
IQ: 4/5
Hands 5/5
Shot: 5/5
Compete: 4/5

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Skating 4/5
Smarts 4/5
Hands 4/5
Shot 4/5
Compete Level 4/5

Them talking about Svech being NHL ready now a year and a half ago is funny. In hindsight He was not ready at all then. But that's changing, he should be breaking into the league next year at some point because he's definitely ready physically and recently he appears to be putting it together nicely in Grand Rapids.

Also 4/5 at everything remains pretty accurate. He's still good at everything but not quite great at anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad