18/19 MGMT thread VIIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I just think it's too soon to say. The Canucks are in an interesting position this season. They can roll the dice and really go for it, make some moves and push to make it to the playoffs with a ~90 point team and hope for the best, or they can sit back and stay focused on the future. I think most fans here would prefer the latter, but the vibe I get from the team is the former is equally likely if not moreso.

If they decide to make some moves and push for it this season, it could well damage their odds next season (see Edmonton the year they made it.) I am for this reason unwilling to speculate on their odds for next season at this stage.

What's Benning going to do when he has already publicly stated that he won't trade any picks from this draft and that he's not going to be a buyer?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
New group of young players? As in Horvat, Boeser and Pettersson? Three guys? And yes, any management regime given 4 top-ten picks in 5 drafts (basically three top 5 picks, btw) will generate similar results. There is no doubt in my mind on that point.

And let's stop talking about drafting for a minute because who really cares ... it's the only part of the organization that is somewhat functional. How about we talk about the abysmal pro scouting, the horrible contracts, the pathetic blue line, or the fact our AHL franchise is effectively in ruins. There are so many problems with this organization and you keep talking about three players and a handful of draft picks.

And the team isn't getting better statistically. In five years. And you have Pettersson ... God's gift to parachuting in an NHL star, which basically never happens.
As is generally the case here..lets consistently drag anything remotely positive into a negative.. I mean everything just sucks doesn't it..?..Why put yourself through it?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He said he wasn't trading any picks. Almost as some weird tip of the hat to the fact we are hosting the draft. Reeks of strange owner priorities.
Weird, I interpreted it as he's just looking to make hockey trades as usual.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Weird, I interpreted it as he's just looking to make hockey trades as usual.

Well, considering how many picks he has traded, I wouldn't call not trading picks as usual. Besides, where is the hockey trade that is going to improve our roster this year? I am scared to ask.

Reactions: geebaan

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
He said he wasn't trading any picks. Almost as some weird tip of the hat to the fact we are hosting the draft. Reeks of strange owner priorities.
You're leaving out the fact that he also said he wouldn't be acquiring any rentals. Taken together, it makes sense for a bubble team and evinces no reason to suspect ownership is meddling to retain picks. In any case ... sorry, but the notion that ownership would intervene to retain the types of picks that are typically traded at the deadline because the team is hosting the draft is silly. I don't understand why you can't be content with criticising management/ownership for stuff they have actually done or might reasonably be expected to do. It's not that hard.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Well, considering how many picks he has traded, I wouldn't call not trading picks as usual. Besides, where is the hockey trade that is going to improve our roster this year? I am scared to ask.
Oh I don't know....they traded for Motte and Leipsic last year, I expect more of the same, just probably on defense.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
You're leaving out the fact that he also said he wouldn't be acquiring any rentals. Taken together, it makes sense for a bubble team and evinces no reason to suspect ownership is meddling to retain picks. In any case ... sorry, but the notion that ownership would intervene to retain the types of picks that are typically traded at the deadline because the team is hosting the draft is silly. I don't understand why you can't be content with criticising management/ownership for stuff they have actually done or might reasonably be expected to do. It's not that hard.

Of all the times we should have been on shut down for trading picks the timing is pretty crazy. Make no mistake, our management is micromanaged by ownership, so forgive my cynicism.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
For everyone here that says he’s a bottom 10 gm but not a bottom 3 gm which gms do you have below him and for what reason?

I’ll give you Dorian in Ottawa cause that’s easy but naming 9 more?
He's definitely a bottom 3 GM now with Chiarelli gone. Before, he hovered around last to 4th last.

I would put him firmly in the bottom with Bergevin and Dorion. He can easily be seen as the worst compared to those two depending on what area you judge them on.

Chiarelli was just in another world of suck, but you can argue that the whole 'champion oldboy brain trust' of the Oilers was the real problem there, but Chiarelli was the face of it.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Even bergevin is an idk, the Weber for subban trade is dumb as heck but as I’m not too close to them what other things would you have there considering he has a top 10 team

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Even bergevin is an idk, the Weber for subban trade is dumb as heck but as I’m not too close to them what other things would you have there considering he has a top 10 team
Some of Bergevin's moves look better now that the Habs are having the season they are but he really is not that good of a GM. I can't put any other GM in the league below those three.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
As is generally the case here..lets consistently drag anything remotely positive into a negative.. I mean everything just sucks doesn't it..?..Why put yourself through it?

Well no. Unlike you I can actually admit there are positives in stark contrast to the broader management portfolio, which still sucks. Mostly related to Pettersson having an unprecedented breakout, but there's also significant reversals for Hutton and Virtanen (who nevertheless remains a brutal pick in that spot).

They've also managed to get over severe veteran separation anxiety in a couple spots (i.e. Nilsson and MDZ) though a bunch of veteran dead weight remains.

Furthermore, they actually overpaid for relatively effective old men this time around (i.e. Beags and Russ) versus the usual habit of pro scouting and signing terrible players.

Perhaps I'm more of a cynic, however, since this stuff seems more a case of the "broken clock" being right occasionally than any indication management now actually knows what it's doing.

Travis Green on the other hand has somewhat improved my opinion of his work. Though that's for another thread and has absolutely nothing to do with the current conversation.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Assuming they shore up their bottom pairing, does the difference between playoffs and no playoffs next year hinge upon Hughes?

No because they have too many other holes in their roster to address. Hughes is a wild card for sure, depending on the impact he has when he gets on the roster, but there is just no depth. If this team is making the playoffs it's not having Granlund asa regular skater. Is Baertschi done? Horvat needs someone to play with etc.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
When did he say he wasn't going to be a buyer? I haven't seen that.

My error, he said he wouldn't be looking to acquire rentals. He also said that he would be looking for a hockey trade if young players are involved. Taken together, that cuts out a sizable chunk of the known market. It also limits them in what kind of trades they can make when picks aren't involved.

I can see them making a lateral move though. One they think will lead to a net improvement.

Shattered Dreams

Sep 30, 2017
Reactions: Son of a Dawson

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Hockey deals likely means another Tyler Motte or perhaps scraping from the bottom and grabbing the next Linden Vey/Adam Clendenning. Pretty much someone who will require waivers and not move the needle in a meaningful way.

Hockey deals usually is code for trade a roster player for another roster player so both teams can upgrade a position of weakness by trading a position of strength. Not usually many futures involved.

As long as we get the player with the higher upside, I don't mind the risk as much lol

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

I think he specifically said this year's draft... Player + 2020 mid-round pick for player seems about right to me.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
DiPietro’s first start, loss of confidence, and any subsequent development issues will be directly tied to this management’s gross negligence. What a f***ing circus to be throwing a 19 year old goalie into his first NHL game against one of the best teams in the league while our #1 defenceman is injured. All because management had no contingency plan for goalie depth. Embarrassingly stupid.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
DiPietro’s first start, loss of confidence, and any subsequent development issues will be directly tied to this management’s gross negligence. What a ****ing circus to be throwing a 19 year old goalie into his first NHL game against one of the best teams in the league while our #1 defenceman is injured. All because management had no contingency plan for goalie depth. Embarrassingly stupid.

I am still in disbelief that someone was defending it. Just unfathomably bad. And I thought my opinion of them couldn't sink any lower.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
But hey, we got a 6th round pick that we can hopefully draft another goalie with after we shred the confidence of DiPietro as a result of management incompetence.

This is why you insist McKenna clear waivers *before* you make the trade.

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I am still in disbelief that someone was defending it. Just unfathomably bad. And I thought my opinion of them couldn't sink any lower.
It's the whole 'short term pleasure' mentality. A lot of the world is infected with it, and it bleeds into sports. Rather than considering the long term, people want to jump into things immediately because they give that short period of endorphins. 'Look! Shiny new toy DiPietro! Can't wait to see our stud Quick clone in net!'. Meanwhile, not considering the damage that can be done throwing him into raging waters.

Incompetent.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
But hey, we got a 6th round pick that we can hopefully draft another goalie with after we shred the confidence of DiPietro as a result of management incompetence.

This is why you insist McKenna clear waivers *before* you make the trade.

I don't have an issue with gambling on McKenna clearing waivers, as long as you have a contingency in place in case he didn't.

Again it's been over a month since he got claimed. It's been over a week since Demko got hurt. Signing Kublakov would be better than this. It's just inexplicably bad management. Unreal that such stupid people are left in charge of this franchise.

And to make matters worse, they are right there in the playoff race. These two points are actually valuable to them right now.
It's just inexplicable. Unfathomable. I am in disbelief.

I thought there was a chance that their stupidity could result in DiPietro being thrown into the game the way MacIntyre was last season for Vegas. I never ever considered DiPietro would actually be starting a game. This might actually be an NHL first in terms of an emergency junior call-up starting a game. I honestly don't know if that has ever happened before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad