18/19 MGMT thread VIIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I'll save the long rant and just say for all the media and fan hysteria at the Canucks never had an issue with goaltending under Gillis, never had one now till this current fiasco under Benning, and looking at it from today with the power of hindsight for two goalies that are no longer capable of keeping up in the NHL Gillis' goaltending moves have left us with Horvat and Markstrom who can probably play for us at a high level for another 10-12 and 3-5 years respectively.

Oh yeah I agree. I was always high on Markstrom and was ecstatic we got him in the Luongo deal, but I felt overall we didn't get as much as we should have. When I say that though, I don't believe it to be Gillis' fault. On the contrary ownership should take the bulk of the blame as they signed off on a CBA that allowed the NHL to retroactively punish us for a contract they approved rather than grandfathering it in. Gillis could not foresee the league f***ing us in the next CBA and ownership actually signing off on it.

I liked the Schneider deal and anyone who thought the 9th OA was a poor return for Schneider doesn't understand the value of goaltenders, and this is coming from someone who admittedly knows nothing about trade values but any amateur should be able to look at historical values of goaltenders and come to the same conclusion.

I thought we won the Schneider trade and we made the best out of an unfortunate situation with Luongo, but in the end we actually won both trades and that's remarkable.

I do think Benning made a mistake not trading Miller, though. Foolish.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Has Benning handled the goaltending situation worse than Gillis? Has he done so twice now with the Miller saga and now the Demko saga?
At least with Gillis' goaltending drama we came out of it with a solid asset in each case.

Not seeing that with Benning...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Has Benning handled the goaltending situation worse than Gillis? Has he done so twice now with the Miller saga and now the Demko saga?
Nah, while it turned out ok that's like doubling down on a BlackJack and drawing a face hard. Sure you got a 2-1 payout instead of 3-2 but that doesn't change the fact it was a bad move. Ie., Gillis' handling of the Luongo-Schneider problem. And least that's my POV.

Benning's bumbling only cost us a low/crappy pick. Ain't happy about it but I'm not going to lose any sleep over a late round pick.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Nah, while it turned out ok that's like doubling down on a BlackJack and drawing a face hard. Sure you got a 2-1 payout instead of 3-2 but that doesn't change the fact it was a bad move. Ie., Gillis' handling of the Luongo-Schneider problem. And least that's my POV.

Benning's bumbling only cost us a low/crappy pick. Ain't happy about it but I'm not going to lose any sleep over a late round pick.

If you can find the fold with the 2nd best hand to lose the bare minimum with the hand you've been dealt, you played excellently despite losing money.

Gillis was dealt a shitty hand with the CBA changes and still came out on top.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I'll save the long rant and just say for all the media and fan hysteria at the Canucks never had an issue with goaltending under Gillis, never had one now till this current fiasco under Benning, and looking at it from today with the power of hindsight for two goalies that are no longer capable of keeping up in the NHL Gillis' goaltending moves have left us with Horvat and Markstrom who can probably play for us at a high level for another 10-12 and 3-5 years respectively.
Personally,..I hated that Luongo deal with Florida,but thats besides the point.

Can you tell me..in your hearts of hearts..the honest truth..Did you see Markstrom becoming a #1 goalie?..Now 29 years old, and into his 5th year with the team.

I hope he does become a consistent #1,...that would be incredible, and I'm a fan ..Seems to me though, he could've been swapped in the off season last year, and nobody here would have even batted an eye...Now Gillis is a genius.? (Markstrom is not even remotely the same goalie he was when that trade was made).

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

Can you tell me..in your hearts of hearts..the honest truth..Did you see Markstrom becoming a #1 goalie?..Now 29 years old, and into his 5th year with the team.

A lot of posters were very happy to acquire Markstrom. He had previously been the highest rated goaltending prospect in the world and apparently in Florida he never had a proper goaltending coach.

I hope he does become a consistent #1,...that would be incredible, and I'm a fan ..Seems to me though, he could've been swapped in the off season last year, and nobody here would have even batted an eye...

A number of posters would have. A number of posters here, including myself, have been high on Markstrom for a while now.

Now Gillis is a genius.? (Markstrom is not even remotely the same goalie he was when that trade was made).

Yes, players develop.

member 290103

I hope he does become a consistent #1,...that would be incredible, and I'm a fan ..Seems to me though, he could've been swapped in the off season last year, and nobody here would have even batted an eye...Now Gillis is a genius.? (Markstrom is not even remotely the same goalie he was when that trade was made).

LOL, this is a hard one to reconcile. On one hand....Markstrom was Dim's choice to handle the #1 netminder duties. He could have moved on from him, but he re-upped him. On the other hand, Markstrom comes from Gillis, so that's a black mark.

You seem to want to run Markstrom down, but your systems overload when you can't reconcile denigrating him given that Dim has propped him up. What a pickle.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
LOL, this is a hard one to reconcile. On one hand....Markstrom was Dim's choice to handle the #1 netminder duties. He could have moved on from him, but he re-upped him. On the other hand, Markstrom comes from Gillis, so that's a black mark.

You seem to want to run Markstrom down, but your systems overload when you can't reconcile denigrating him given that Dim has propped him up. What a pickle.
Read my post again..Where am I running Markstrom down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->