Prospect Info: #16 - Jakob Chychrun

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
Chych and Brown sound like Domi and Duclair, with even more growing up in the league ties. Would've been amazing to add another bromance to the team...

Hmm, there's also this:

"Chychrun
Oh man, yeah. We’ve been working so hard with maintaining our bodies and then just putting weight on, like you said. In the OHL, I was consistently 195. Maybe a little under 195. Then I realized, “Alright, this is my NHL draft year. I kind of want to get heavier and kind of prepare for the next level.†So I got up to 215. That was a really big jump for me. It was like over 20 pounds. And I realized that was a lot of weight for me to be carrying around as a 17-year-old kid, so I went down a bit. Ideally, I want to be around 208, I think. We all can’t be natural 6′ 6″, 220-pound monsters like you, bud."

That's a big jump going up to 215 and finding out how it affects your game, in your draft year...

Reading that just reminds me of when OEL added too much weight and it threw off his game. Hopefully losing the extra weight will help Chyrchrun play like he was expected to in his draft year.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Reading that just reminds me of when OEL added too much weight and it threw off his game. Hopefully losing the extra weight will help Chyrchrun play like he was expected to in his draft year.

Very interesting, we've seen that hurt players 1st hand like you said.

will he be there? Isn't there some rules that college players have to pay their own way or something?

Didn't think of that, I hope he is.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Chych and Brown sound like Domi and Duclair, with even more growing up in the league ties. Would've been amazing to add another bromance to the team...

Hmm, there's also this:

"Chychrun
Oh man, yeah. We’ve been working so hard with maintaining our bodies and then just putting weight on, like you said. In the OHL, I was consistently 195. Maybe a little under 195. Then I realized, “Alright, this is my NHL draft year. I kind of want to get heavier and kind of prepare for the next level.†So I got up to 215. That was a really big jump for me. It was like over 20 pounds. And I realized that was a lot of weight for me to be carrying around as a 17-year-old kid, so I went down a bit. Ideally, I want to be around 208, I think. We all can’t be natural 6′ 6″, 220-pound monsters like you, bud."

That's a big jump going up to 215 and finding out how it affects your game, in your draft year...

He shouldn't try and gain weight. Getting stronger is good but too much weight slows you down. Over 3-5 years, he will naturally put on 10 or 15 pounds which is fine. Gaining weight to gain weight is a bad idea for NHL players. He might have been given bad advise.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
If Zacha and Konecny graduate, do we want him back on Sarnia? Part of his problem this year might have been him trying to be the offensive catalyst for this team even though that's really not his game. If those guys leave he might try to do the same thing again.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If Zacha and Konecny graduate, do we want him back on Sarnia? Part of his problem this year might have been him trying to be the offensive catalyst for this team even though that's really not his game. If those guys leave he might try to do the same thing again.

Where would he go? Coyotes can't force a trade to another junior team. He's subject to the OHL rule as well.

Derian Hatcher is the coach in Sarnia, I'm sure he'll listen to what Tippett and the Coyotes have to say regarding his development.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I expect Zacha to be in NJ and Konecny to be in Sarnia. It's not the best place for Chychrun to develop but it's better than bringing him up to the Coyotes. I'd like for him to play under Marc Crawford in Zurich but that's unlikely.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015

Zacha might not be available for Sarnia because of how well he played when he got called up at the end of the year and how physically mature he is, I've heard NJ is wanting to take it slow with him but it's becoming more unlikely, I think they'll see how he plays in the pre-season and his nine games before they make their choice though, Might end up sending him down later in the season too, but he will be the biggest question mark for Sarnia
Konecny likely lost all chance of making the Flyers next year because of his shoulder injury, They sent a private jet to Sarnia to bring him back to Philly right after his injury so they could evaluate him themselves. They have high hopes for him and with being a small and pretty physical player with two shoulder injuries in 2 years i can't see them taking a chance with rushing him into the NHL early. He's almost certainly going to be back next year
Sarnia lost only a few players to overagers, Jacobs and White were the only bigger losses for the team, but should be reasonably easy to replace, they were a younger team that are all older now and SHOULD BE a very good team next year as long as Chychrun and Konecny are there, if Zacha returns too, the team will very likely be dominant

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Probably the first ever Coyotes-related story in a South Florida newspaper

Boca Raton's Jakob Chychrun selected 16th by Arizona in NHL draft

Jeff Chychrun played with a then 19-year-old Jaromir Jagr in 1991 and now 25 years later, his son, Jakob, may get the chance to face the Czech legend in the BB&T Center when his new team plays his hometown Florida Panthers next season.

Jakob Chychrun, born and raised in Boca Raton, a longtime Jr. Panther who attended Panthers games since he was 2 years old, dropped further than anticipated but was chosen by the Arizona Coyotes with the 16th pick of the first round of the NHL draft in First Niagara Center, home of the Buffalo Sabres.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fl-nhl-draft-chychrun-0625-20160624-story.html

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Any idea if that underager-AHL rule is gonna happen? I think it would be perfect for Chychrun to play there next year. With being physically developed I don't think the OHL really helps him. He can just use his size to beat guys. And I think that's why his hockey sense is poor, he's never really had to play against guys his size before.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
Any idea if that underager-AHL rule is gonna happen? I think it would be perfect for Chychrun to play there next year. With being physically developed I don't think the OHL really helps him. He can just use his size to beat guys. And I think that's why his hockey sense is poor, he's never really had to play against guys his size before.

I think the OHL is a fine place for him next year. The problem is he can't be relied upon to carry the team single-handedly again next year. It's just like Domi in the 2014-15 season. He was sent back expected to completely DOMInate the league and he did. I expect the same of Chychrun when he gets sent back down.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Thought it was pretty cool that Chychrun was hanging out at the draft table on Saturday. This kid is thrilled to be a Coyote.

Over the moon with this pick. Incredible value and a great player too.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
Thought it was pretty cool that Chychrun was hanging out at the draft table on Saturday. This kid is thrilled to be a Coyote.

Over the moon with this pick. Incredible value and a great player too.

Yeah, being the biggest man-crush since OEL, I've followed him on twitter. He posted some first-person views of sitting at the table. He sounded very pleased.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Anyone know why he chose to play for Canada instead of USA internationally?

Figure with him being a Florida boy, and playing hockey in Michigan, he'd want to play for USA. Just from a depth perspective, he'd have more opportunity with Team USA.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
To post a tweet, copy the number of the tweet link (everything after the last slash) between:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I suspect Max Domi is happy Chychrun is a 'Yote.

Damn that's impressive. Domi makes NHL defenders look stupid regularly so to do that at 16 is insane. Off year or no clearly he has shut down D skills.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I dunno, from the Wings perspective, yeah we did bail them out. The video did acknowledge that the Coyotes really wanted Chychrun and he was the reason the deal happened. Can't say that for most of the trade board.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
I dunno, from the Wings perspective, yeah we did bail them out. The video did acknowledge that the Coyotes really wanted Chychrun and he was the reason the deal happened. Can't say that for most of the trade board.

She makes it sound like they walked away as the only winners. If they don't land Stamkos and miss the playoffs this year they'll be looking back on this shaking their head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad