Prospect Info: #16 - Jakob Chychrun

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
ck26 mentioned let's see how it looks at prospect camp. Well I have to say it's going to be hilarious to see Keller and Garland taking on a guy who has basically had an adult frame since he was 16. :popcorn:

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
DeBrincat is an average skater imo, he's gonna need to really work on that if he wants to sniff the NHL.

I hope now that the pressure is off, Chychrun can focus on his game and improve in the areas he needs to improve on. He can be really good if he can

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
Just saw the replay. Tippet's face when that kid's walking up the steps is priceless. Serious mancrush.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Just saw the replay. Tippet's face when that kid's walking up the steps is priceless. Serious mancrush.

Tfx5R3f.png

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Tipp looked like was going to cry at one point. I believe he played with Chychrun's dad in Philly.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What's that stat with Chychrun? Something like 43pts in his last 43 OHL games if you count the playoffs, or something like that? Not bad when you consider offseason shoulder surgery. Slow start and a bad tournament. Seems like those two factors dropped him.

That was my thought as well. His dad said his injury, pressure, trying to do too much, and losing his confidence was the reason for his drop, or something to that affect.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That was my thought as well. His dad said his injury, pressure, trying to do too much, and losing his confidence was the reason for his drop, or something to that affect.

I actually did a quick count on mobile. I'll post real numbers later. But it looks to me like the last 40-45 games Chychrun, Sergachev, and Juolevi played in the OHL (including post-season) have some interesting point production. Chychrun and Sergachev are both within a point or two of point-per-game and Juolevi is about 15% lower per game. Windsor and Sarnia scored about the same number of goals this year. London was like 25% higher.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
There's two shift by shift videos of Chychrun on YouTube, they're very impressive. They're also both from last season before his slide. His hockey sense looks fine in both videos though, and it occurs to me that hockey sense can't really go away, especially from a 16 year old to a 17 year old. It would be nice to see a full game of his from this year too, but I do wonder if his injury, a new coach and system, and the pressure all added up to him having an off year. If he bounces back and looks like he did when he was 16 we got a hell of a player.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
People like to say Brown rise started in Jan, so if his rise can start there for arguments sake stat wise ill list Chychrun's, Joulevi's and Sergachev's stats from the start of Dec on along with Whole season and Playoffs.

Chychrun- 37GP 7G 26A 33P +14 110Shots Whole season- 62GP 11G 38A 49P +23 199Shots Playoffs- 7GP 2G 6A 8P +4 32Shots
Joulevi- 33GP 6G 16A 22P +17 78Shots Whole season- 57GP 9G 33A 42P +38 130Shots Playoffs- 18GP 3G 11A 14P +15 31Shots
Sergachev- 40GP 10G 31A 41P +6 96Shots Whole Season- 67GP 17G 40A 57P +15 156Shots Playoffs- 5GP 2G 3A 5P -4 11Shots

Team stats
Sarnia- 254GF 192GA
London- 319GF 182GA
Windsor- 253GF 200GA

London Scored 20% more goals than both Windsor and Sarnia

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
There's two shift by shift videos of Chychrun on YouTube, they're very impressive. They're also both from last season before his slide. His hockey sense looks fine in both videos though, and it occurs to me that hockey sense can't really go away, especially from a 16 year old to a 17 year old. It would be nice to see a full game of his from this year too, but I do wonder if his injury, a new coach and system, and the pressure all added up to him having an off year. If he bounces back and looks like he did when he was 16 we got a hell of a player.

His dad said as much. The more I read about him the more I like him. I heard the same about Gormley back in the day, so I will hold my judgement until I see him at training camp.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015

Chychrun didn't have as much pressure his rookie year for sure, was on a bad team, wasn't expected to carry the team due to his age and was aloud to just play his game
Chychrun was carrying their entire blue-line this year logging 30minute games and double shifting on an average team while being the best on ice leader. Then when they got Konecny the team really started to succeed from the support he gave them(especially offensively). Pressure might have got to him a bit, i couldn't tell you but next year Sarnia should be one of the biggest contenders in the OHL, will be for sure IF Zacha is sent back down. So i expect a really big year from Chychrun, and dropping in the draft really seems to have motivated him too

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Reading all of this information, he may have simply been over evaluated and the mention that he tried to do too much makes me think we got a steal. Didn't want to jinx prior to draft, but this was exactly what I had in mind with the thought of trading back and still potentially getting the best D in the draft. Of course, we wound up trading up to get him, but I just love his value there.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ

I believe he didn't lose his hockey sense, what he lost is confidence and confidence is a huge thing for athletes.

He seems extremely motivated to show everyone what kind of player he really is. Man on a Mission he says...that will work out great for us.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
His dad said as much. The more I read about him the more I like him. I heard the same about Gormley back in the day, so I will hold my judgement until I see him at training camp.

Yeah, everybody talked about Gormley's poise and great hockey sense in his draft year. Didn't help much as NHL skaters were blowing by him. I'll try the prospect with effortless mobility and question marks about hockey sense this time around.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Neat little article in the Players Tribune co-authored by best friends Jakob Chychrun and Logan Brown:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/2016-6-24-logan-brown-jakob-chychrun-nhl-draft/

And to think we could've had both of them. I'm sure our scouts will prove me wrong but I still wish we had taken brown. Now after seeing Keller at prospect camp that opinion could swing radically.

Yeah, everybody talked about Gormley's poise and great hockey sense in his draft year. Didn't help much as NHL skaters were blowing by him. I'll try the prospect with effortless mobility and question marks about hockey sense this time around.

Questions about hockey sense are terrible, but like ctwin said its likely a confidence thing, likely with some fatigue, pressure, and playing under a new coach. His hockey sense looked good in those two shift by shifts I found. Small sample size of course.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
And to think we could've had both of them. I'm sure our scouts will prove me wrong but I still wish we had taken brown. Now after seeing Keller at prospect camp that opinion could swing radically.

Chych and Brown sound like Domi and Duclair, with even more growing up in the league ties. Would've been amazing to add another bromance to the team...

Questions about hockey sense are terrible, but like ctwin said its likely a confidence thing, likely with some fatigue, pressure, and playing under a new coach. His hockey sense looked good in those two shift by shifts I found. Small sample size of course.

Hmm, there's also this:

"Chychrun
Oh man, yeah. We’ve been working so hard with maintaining our bodies and then just putting weight on, like you said. In the OHL, I was consistently 195. Maybe a little under 195. Then I realized, “Alright, this is my NHL draft year. I kind of want to get heavier and kind of prepare for the next level.†So I got up to 215. That was a really big jump for me. It was like over 20 pounds. And I realized that was a lot of weight for me to be carrying around as a 17-year-old kid, so I went down a bit. Ideally, I want to be around 208, I think. We all can’t be natural 6′ 6″, 220-pound monsters like you, bud."

That's a big jump going up to 215 and finding out how it affects your game, in your draft year...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad