Weight: 205
Shoots: L
Birthday: 3-31-98

NHL Comparison: Drew Doughty

Ranked #14 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #8 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #6 by Future Considerations
Ranked #13 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #4 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
Ranked #13 by TSN/McKenzie

Curtis Joe, Elite Prospects - An unyielding two-way defenceman, Jakob Chychrun is a rising star with a toolbox bursting at the seams. Consistently displays elite four-way skating ability and is not afraid to throw his weight around physically. Plays with poise and composure through high pressure situations and, with the puck on his stick, can direct the play up-ice. Exhibits a particularly potent shot that works its magic on the power play and on the forecheck. Excellent first pass and uses his vision and awareness to keep the puck moving in the direction of the opposition’s tail or to a teammate with more time and space. Defensively adept at tracking the puck and staying a step ahead of the opposition. Proactive with his stick and body, exerting pressure on the opposition and forcing them to make hurried decisions.

McKeen’s Hockey - Possesses explosive acceleration and is able to create separation from fore-checkers with either his acceleration or mobility…skates puck in transition up the ice and carries the puck in deep into offensive zone frequently…makes quick and hard passes that are difficult to intercept…does not get pulled out of position by chasing the puck in the defensive zone…plays a near flawless defensive game in his own end, being the first on loose pucks and consistently clearing pucks and relieving pressure…uses long stick effectively to poke check and block passing/shooting lanes…skates backwards very well for a big man, and has strong edges making him difficult to beat wide…shoots the puck hard and fast…franchise first pairing defenceman.

Strengths:
Elite skating ability
Passing ability
Hard, accurate shot
All-situations potential
Physical fitness

Under Construction (Improvements to Make):
Playmaking vision
Hockey sense
Cutting down turnovers

http://thehockeywriters.com/jakob-chychrun-the-next-ones-nhl-2016-draft-prospect-profile/

Chychrun's best asset is his strong yet smooth skating ability. He moves well both straight line and laterally, and changes directions really well with smooth pivots. He doesn't do it often, but when he picks his spots, he has the explosive ability to jump into the rush. His skating ability is already pro level. The one thing Chychrun seems to lack is elite offensive instincts.

Outside of the top three players in the Draft, Chychrun is likely the most "NHL ready" prospect in the Draft. There's a chance he could compete for an NHL roster spot as soon as next season in the right situation. He should become a reliable second/third pairing type defenseman very quickly, with the possibility that he develops into a top pairing defenseman.

- Chris Dilks, SBN College Hockey

Some see Chychrun topping out as a future Kris Letang, a pace-pushing star presence on the back end. Others envision a future Zach Bogosian, which, in this scenario, is not a compliment.

“He’s a player that’s going to play in the NHL. It’s just a matter of where in the lineup. And that’s why he’s a first-rounder,†said former NHLer Trevor Letowski, the Sting's head coach for Chychrun’s ’14-’15 rookie campaign. “It just takes one team to like him. He’s going to play in the NHL.â€

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/06/19/jakob-chychrun-one-to-watch-at-nhl-draft

Last edited:

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Wanted Fabbro, I'm not complaining. Small risk, high reward.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
At the beginning of the year he was the consensus #2 pick. That's not nothing. But it scares me. The bright side. We're not moving out young guys. Yet...

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
This move I like. I'll slowly head back to liking Tippett again if this player plays like he should have been selected in the Top 3 of this years draft.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The Datsyuk contract means nothing. It's money they weren't going to spend anyway. Dump a contract and a 2nd rounder to move up and get a guy that was rated #1 at one point? That's a fantastic move. Yeah maybe he slid a bit but to get that talent at that spot is awesome.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Amazing that we got him. He was my top D.

Introduce him to Matthews back-stage so Chychrun can take over the Zurich apartment lease. Let him develop against men.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The way it sounds the Coyotes had a tough time not picking him with the 7th.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Excellent value - he wasn't going to drop to #20, and I thought he was a good pick for value in the #11-14 range.

As for the trade - maybe the value given up was slightly disappointing (maybe could have earned more back on Datsyuk), but reality is that Detroit was not going to give up a major prospect either. I would imagine that there were discussions of us giving up #37 instead of #53 and receiving a prospect like Holmstrom or Callahan, but those two were both very late round picks who are likely to never develop, and it would not make sense to move #37 instead of #53.

All in all, a great first round - definitely a little surprised with Keller, but I like that pick more and more with the puck possession and creativity. And then to get a D that probably should have gone higher - I think he comes in with something to prove and he will wind up being a stronger player than most think.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Stash him away and hope his coaches do their job, get that hockey sense flowing. Physically he could play tomorrow. Years away mentally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->