Prospect Info: #16 - Jakob Chychrun

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Give me one scouting report for a player drafted at that position(15-17) whom was projected to be a franchise defenseman or forward. Those generally go in the top 5.

Pretty much everyone that's in the first tier every year is called a "franchise" whatever they are. That Chychrun was projected the same a year out but fell pretty hard makes what rt said true; he's still statistically more likely to bust than his peers taken ahead of him. Note that these are trends, and individuals can be exceptions to trends. The odds that Chychrun becomes a bonafide #1 are probably pretty low. The odds he becomes a useful player - according to nearly everyone, including the naysayers - is pretty high.

Supposed "franchise" players bust all the time, so I don't even know what you are arguing at this point.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
Pretty much everyone that's in the first tier every year is called a "franchise" whatever they are. That Chychrun was projected the same a year out but fell pretty hard makes what rt said true; he's still statistically more likely to bust than his peers taken ahead of him. Note that these are trends, and individuals can be exceptions to trends. The odds that Chychrun becomes a bonafide #1 are probably pretty low. The odds he becomes a useful player - according to nearly everyone, including the naysayers - is pretty high.

Supposed "franchise" players bust all the time, so I don't even know what you are arguing at this point.

There is a difference between high-end elite talent and franchise caliber. Albeit not much but it's there. Do I believe he IS that kind of talent? No, but at least he was once said to have that potential. Being labeled as a franchise defenseman is nothing to scoff at.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There is a difference between high-end elite talent and franchise caliber. Albeit not much but it's there. Do I believe he IS that kind of talent? No, but at least he was once said to have that potential. Being labeled as a franchise defenseman is nothing to scoff at.

That word gets thrown around so much at the draft that it's basically meaningless. Chychrun was labeled a "franchise" player right up until this year and at least 15 teams decided he wasn't one - half the league. That's a pretty good indicator.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Nail Yakopov was called a blend of Pavel Bure, Alex Ovechkin, and Ilya Kovalchuk, people go crazy about prospects and throw out tons of ****.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That word gets thrown around so much at the draft that it's basically meaningless. Chychrun was labeled a "franchise" player right up until this year and at least 15 teams decided he wasn't one - half the league. That's a pretty good indicator.

Our team debated between him and Keller at 7. Given how good our OHL scouts have looked the last couple of years (and it's still early) I think that's a great sign that he's maybe more Fowler and less Gormley. :)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Our team debated between him and Keller at 7. Given how good our OHL scouts have looked the last couple of years (and it's still early) I think that's a great sign that he's maybe more Fowler and less Gormley. :)

I don't disagree, but if the belief was that he is Ekblad caliber, he wouldn't have lasted until 7 much less 16. He has flaws. I personally see him as a 2-3 minute eater ala Jay Bouwmeester. Same awkward demeanor.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I don't disagree, but if the belief was that he is Ekblad caliber, he wouldn't have lasted until 7 much less 16. He has flaws. I personally see him as a 2-3 minute eater ala Jay Bouwmeester. Same awkward demeanor.

That at pick 16 would be fantastic.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
So we didn't get a top 3 pick but yet most hockey fans are showing their jealousy over this pick as some how we drafted Jakob Chychrun at #2OV as he was expected to go early on in the season.

Please let this prospect turnout to play like a top 3 pick so we can see more and more of those same fans become even jealous.

Last edited:

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Luke Lapinski made a really good point on Chychrun: He came into this year as the No. 2 prospect. He had no where to go but down in the rankings (He wasn't going to pass Matthews). Nothing like that weight on your shoulders.

rt

May 13, 2004
Luke Lapinski made a really good point on Chychrun: He came into this year as the No. 2 prospect. He had no where to go but down in the rankings (He wasn't going to pass Matthews). Nothing like that weight on your shoulders.

I like Chychrun. But that's a bit of a lame excuse. His draft minus one was better than Ekblad or many other D that went very high. His draft year was only as good as 3-4 other D in this draft. I think this was a lousy draft. I think this player has a high floor. Ok glad we took him. And not at seventh. If he can have a Derek Morris impact and we can be smart enough to hang on the whole through, then good on him and good on us. I think patience is the key here. He looks 30 but he thinks 16. Be patient or get burned.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I like Chychrun. But that's a bit of a lame excuse. His draft minus one was better than Ekblad or many other D that went very high. His draft year was only as good as 3-4 other D in this draft. I think this was a lousy draft. I think this player has a high floor. Ok glad we took him. And not at seventh. If he can have a Derek Morris impact and we can be smart enough to hang on the whole through, then good on him and good on us. I think patience is the key here. He looks 30 but he thinks 16. Be patient or get burned.

This is exactly why I love the Keller pick and where we ended up grabbing Chychrun. I wanted Brown or Keller at 7 unless one of the top 5 dropped. These two players max out on one aspect of the game (pure skill or size). They each have a much higher ceiling than the Nylander/Jost/McCloud. Hell, I believe they have a higher upside than PLD or Tkachuk, but a much lower floor. We took the one that maxed out on skill.

Grabbing one of the three top ranked defensemen with our 20th pick didn't seem logical so we were all looking at the alternatives (McAvoy/Fabbro), and even debating about moving up for one. I think it's debatable if Chychrun or Sergachev has the highest ceiling, but Chychrun has a higher floor, while Sergachev may have a better chance at reaching his ceiling. The Fabbro/McAvoy/Beans all have 2nd pairing upside and in this draft class that didn't look bad. Give me the player whose floor is a third/second pairing tweener with a ceiling of an American Gladiator shaped Letang at 16 everyday.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Who says he thinks 16? Let's reserve judgement until we see him play during training camp.

rt

May 13, 2004
Who says he thinks 16? Let's reserve judgement until we see him play during training camp.

I'm saying on ice. Not as a person. He seems like he's an A+ character pick. Chayka was most animated in his description of Chychrun when he mentioned character. They're obviously very happy to have added this personality to the organization.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm saying on ice. Not as a person. He seems like he's an A+ character pick. Chayka was most animated in his description of Chychrun when he mentioned character. They're obviously very happy to have added this personality to the organization.

I know. I want to see him play, before I make a judgement.

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I know. I want to see him play, before I make a judgement.

What do you mean? There's videos in this thread, you can watch him play. Or are you talking about an NHL game? Cause that won't be for a few years. What's you criteria where you can have opinion on a player? Not in junior? What about at a prospect camp? Or maybe an exhibition game? Or the WJC? Or do you have to watch him play shinny hockey in person? I'm just wondering what you have to see to form an opinion. No one is "judging" him here anyways. Everyone likes this pick.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Personally I want to see a player at camp - not prospect camp, but with the big boys before I make anything more than an educated guess as to a players ability to stick in the show.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What do you mean? There's videos in this thread, you can watch him play. Or are you talking about an NHL game? Cause that won't be for a few years. What's you criteria where you can have opinion on a player? Not in junior? What about at a prospect camp? Or maybe an exhibition game? Or the WJC? Or do you have to watch him play shinny hockey in person? I'm just wondering what you have to see to form an opinion. No one is "judging" him here anyways. Everyone likes this pick.

Man you have many questions. I want to see him at training camp against NHL calibre players. I don't care about video highlights of him playing junior, WJC, the prospect camp, or what other posters have to say about him. I want to see him with my own eyes so I can form my own opinion, that's all.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

I pretty much see him in the same light, maybe a slightly better numbers in the long haul because he's faster.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
From an article on the yotes website.

Coyotes Director of Player Development Steve Sullivan said while he disagreed with scouts who criticized Chychrun's hockey IQ as the draft drew closer, there was a legitimate reason why his stock fell.

"I think it was about being tense," Sullivan said. "All the pressure of wanting to be second overall and maybe not having a great season; it snowballed the wrong way for him.

"Now he needs to understand he's been drafted into the National Hockey League and we're going to put him in a game plan to get him here as fast as we can. He can loosen up and play the way we think he can play. If that happens, there is no reason why he won't be here sooner than later."

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I pretty much see him in the same light, maybe a slightly better numbers in the long haul because he's faster.

?

J-Bo has had elite skating pretty much his entire career. He might still be faster than ChickenRun. I'd be thrilled if he has a J-Bo career instead of a Michel Petit or John Moore one. Either way, at least it appears we traded up for a NHL player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad