GDT: #16: Coyotes at FLYERS, Thursday, Nov. 8, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
not now we are not, we are going to want this team to lose until hak is gone like it or not, dont blame us, blame your buddy hextall, he's the one that wants to wait for this team to hit rock bottom and then make changes. we are out of patience, deal with it.
Nah we want to make the playoffs and get BTFO in the first again. That's progress!

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
It's the most plainly logical thing you can look at for whether or not someone should be fired. He get 7 out of 8 points on this west coast trip (which is a hell of a feat for any team over 4 games). I want Hak gone as well, but sports (and businesses) are all about "what have you done for me lately?"

If someone who previously sucked and was about to be canned suddenly ups their team's performance greatly, the boss is unlikely to fire them until it's a downward trend again. Hak, lately, has helped climbed the standings with his roster thanks to recent performance. I'm being liberal with the term "helped", but he is the coach and he has to be mentioned with successes as well as failures nonetheless.

No. The most logical thing would be the on-ice product.

The Kings fired their coach after a win.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
So four games is your sample size for whether a coach should be fired or not? Not the past few years? Hakstol only becomes a good coach when he has a four game leash?
I'm not looking at these four games in a vacuum. I'm combining it with 7 out of 8 points on the four game road trip directly preceding this upcoming four game stretch against teams they should be able to beat. It's a good barometer of whether or not they are improving and becoming a good team after the poor start.

And I've said a million times -- I don't think many coaches would have a better points % than Hakstol achieved his first 3 seasons with the Flyers, so I'm not buying into this "Waah, we've had 250 games to know Hakstol sucks!" BS.

The way the team started this year, they could have fired him. But since they didn't, and now that they've taken 7 of 8 points in 4 games on the road, let's see how they do in this next 4 game stretch against teams they should beat.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I'm not looking at these four games in a vacuum. I'm combining it with 7 out of 8 points on the four game road trip directly preceding this upcoming four game stretch against teams they should be able to beat. It's a good barometer of whether or not they are improving and becoming a good team after the poor start.

And I've said a million times -- I don't think many coaches would have a better points % than Hakstol achieved his first 3 seasons with the Flyers, so I'm not buying into this "Waah, we've had 250 games to know Hakstol sucks!" BS.

The way the team started this year, they could have fired him. But since they didn't, and now that they've taken 7 of 8 points in 4 games on the road, let's see how they do in this next 4 game stretch against teams they should beat.
Yep they played way better but Hexy still doesnt like the players and he shouldnt.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I fail to see how him getting a few points out of a west coast swing is justification for him being fired or not. There is a much larger sample size that shows he can't motivate this team, the PK is awful and his overall system doesn't work.

Sample size only matters to Hextall when it's convenient for his personal desires.

Reactions: Tripod

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Yep they played way better but Hexy still doesnt like the players and he shouldnt.

Bring in a better coach to put in a system that is good for playmakers and then the players will look better. Lavy would be great with this roster, but too bad Homer didn't bring in the players that would fit with Lavy. This is the most basic Flyer team I have ever seen and it starts with the coach.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Do you want this team to become a contender or not?

No, i'm a fan who doesn't want his team to improve.

In reality, I know there's problems. Hak is a disaster but it doesn't mean everything is terrible and I still believe that Hak is gone by this time next year and that will fix so many problems. Eyes will begin to fall on Hex and that's when the axe falls.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Also not many teams get 3 out of 4 points when outplayed badly. It's long season, how you win matters. Come playoff time it doesn't.

I think you've said we were outplayed badly a few times now. I don't buy it. This wasn't that game in Washington where Neuvy stood on his head. We had a bad first period in San Jose and then equalled them for the rest. We had a bad second against Arizona and again were their equals for the rest. I understand the critique, but my god calm it down. The hyperbole is overboard.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No, i'm a fan who doesn't want his team to improve.

In reality, I know there's problems. Hak is a disaster but it doesn't mean everything is terrible and I still believe that Hak is gone by this time next year and that will fix so many problems. Eyes will begin to fall on Hex and that's when the axe falls.

Eyes should have fell on Hex after they were demolished by Pittsburgh last spring, but they didn't.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Eyes should have fell on Hex after they were demolished by Pittsburgh last spring, but they didn't.

Hextall took over a mess and has helped this team have a bright future. Possibly. His big downfall is Hak so we will see what happens this season or off season after they either miss the playoffs or get destroyed again in the playoffs.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
No. The most logical thing would be the on-ice product.

The Kings fired their coach after a win.

You have to be blatantly belligerent to not understand what I'm saying. 1 win doesn't buy you time for sure (a la Stevens), but 7 out of 8 points is what we call a "trend" (and on the road, for good measure).

Trends can save you (as they're based on a series of performances, creating a pattern that could help shape the future), individual performances typically don't (as they can be a random occurrence going 1 way or another in a repeating fashion).

He'll get fired eventually, just not now.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
We will learn a ton from these next four games at home. After the Yotes, it’s 3 of the worst records in the league. They should win at least 3/4. Heads will deservedly roll if they look bad. But you’re right, they do need a player shakeup & Nylander would be perfect.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We will learn a ton from these next four games at home. After the Yotes, it’s 3 of the worst records in the league. They should win at least 3/4. Heads will deservedly roll if they look bad. But you’re right, they do need a player shakeup & Nylander would be perfect.
"3 of the worst records in the league"

Chicago has the same points as us in the same amount of games
Devils have the same winning % as us.
Florida...yup...worse than us.

We ARE one of the worst records in the league too. Lest not forget. But yeah, if you can't beat these teams, it says a lot.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
"3 of the worst records in the league"

Chicago has the same points as us in the same amount of games
Devils have the same winning % as us.
Florida...yup...worse than us.

We ARE one of the worst records in the league too. Lest not forget. But yeah, if you can't beat these teams, it says a lot.
:huh:

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
great post

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
24D397F6-588B-471A-8938-B65BE0CC98D2.jpeg

F872B891-2074-47D3-B1F7-BBD62DD5296A.jpeg

So sad... I guess Philly is taking notes from the sixers. I take it Hextall and Hakstol creates burner accounts and that’s where the 12 no votes came in place.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The next four games don't erase the preceding 273. Four games is a meaningless sample size at this point.

Changing the players is an awful idea without first addressing the most glaring and easily fixable problem the team has: the need to upgrade the coach.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
You have to be blatantly belligerent to not understand what I'm saying. 1 win doesn't buy you time for sure (a la Stevens), but 7 out of 8 points is what we call a "trend" (and on the road, for good measure).

Trends can save you (as they're based on a series of performances, creating a pattern that could help shape the future), individual performances typically don't (as they can be a random occurrence going 1 way or another in a repeating fashion).

He'll get fired eventually, just not now.

A trend isn't four games. That isn't even enough games to take an accurate snap shot of his coaching ability.

Him getting fired eventually is such a ridiculous statement. How many coaches actually quit? Duh.. he will eventually get fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad