GDT: #16: Coyotes at FLYERS, Thursday, Nov. 8, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Oh...look at you avoiding the question and moving the goalposts. Well done. Why can't you commit to a timeline?

Unlike you, I will answer: Maybe.
I could not have made my position more clear.
They just took 7 out of 8 points in their West Coast swing. If they continue to show that type of improvement & success, he shouldn’t be fired. If they revert to a .500 or under team, he should be fired. It’s not a difficult concept that if the team keeps up a good record from this point forward I don’t think he should be fired.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
They just took 7 out of 8 points in their West Coast swing. If they continue to show that type of improvement & success, he shouldn’t be fired. If they revert to a .500 or under team, he should be fired. It’s not a difficult concept that if the team keeps up a good record from this point forward I don’t think he should be fired.

I fail to see how him getting a few points out of a west coast swing is justification for him being fired or not. There is a much larger sample size that shows he can't motivate this team, the PK is awful and his overall system doesn't work.

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo
You just said the AZ game was a “nice change” because “they brought pressure all game long.”
In reality, it’s one of the only games they’ve gone into a shell early in the third.
It’s utterly clear you have no eye for what’s going on tactically on the ice.
I’m a long time basketball coach & it helps immensely for naturally reading what systems are being deployed on the ice.
Most people have no clue without that kind of practice.
Some of the worst people I know are youth or rec coaches.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Some people have binary brains.

Win = good. Loss = bad. In reality, that isn't the case.

If you ask many of those same people to stretch those non-binary brains to a span of 5 years for a rebuild/re-tool, they suddenly breakdown and go back to binary (winning = good, losing = bad).

Context is everything. Problem is people on these boards (and in every fan base) pick and choose if logic should apply over how sad/happy they are.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I fail to see how him getting a few points out of a west coast swing is justification for him being fired or not. There is a much larger sample size that shows he can't motivate this team, the PK is awful and his overall system doesn't work.

It's the most plainly logical thing you can look at for whether or not someone should be fired. He get 7 out of 8 points on this west coast trip (which is a hell of a feat for any team over 4 games). I want Hak gone as well, but sports (and businesses) are all about "what have you done for me lately?"

If someone who previously sucked and was about to be canned suddenly ups their team's performance greatly, the boss is unlikely to fire them until it's a downward trend again. Hak, lately, has helped climbed the standings with his roster thanks to recent performance. I'm being liberal with the term "helped", but he is the coach and he has to be mentioned with successes as well as failures nonetheless.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Played a good game? The entire game was played in the Flyers end! It looked just like the San Jose game. The silver lining is that Hackstol will not be able to resist putting Moose the heavy goalie back in as soon as he can. Crazy how stupid this coach is - the team consistently improves as his favorite veterans get injured.

I imagine the players say much worse things about him than those Senators did.

One fewer power play but only two fewer shots and three more goals. Sounds ok to me.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Improvement? They won two of the worst teams in the league and got badly outplayed against good and OK team.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
One fewer power play but only two fewer shots and three more goals. Sounds ok to me.
Scoring chances:
Arizona- 38
Philadelphia- 24

High danger chances:
Arizona- 17
Philadelphia- 8

Expected Goals:
Arizona- 2.92
Philadelphia- 2.18

Those are all situations numbers. They get worse when you limit it to 5v5. Hockey is fluky. Judging performance solely based on who scores more goals in a given game is not the best strategy. The Flyers are going to lose more games than they win if they get outchanced at that rate.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Scoring chances:
Arizona- 38
Philadelphia- 24

High danger chances:
Arizona- 17
Philadelphia- 8

Expected Goals:
Arizona- 2.92
Philadelphia- 2.18

Those are all situations numbers. They get worse when you limit it to 5v5. Hockey is fluky. Judging performance solely based on who scores more goals in a given game is not the best strategy. The Flyers are going to lose more games than they win if they get outchanced at that rate.

On the road at the longest win streak in the NHL, I don't think that's bad really.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Improvement? They won two of the worst teams in the league and got badly outplayed against good and OK team.

Jesus, 7 out of 8 points on a road trip. We handily beat two teams we usually lose to and forced 3 points out of Arizona and San Jose - not many teams will do this.

We are allowed to enjoy the wins, even if problems remain.

Reactions: LoneFlyerFan21

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Jesus, 7 out of 8 points on a road trip. We handily beat two teams we usually lose to and forced 3 points out of Arizona and San Jose - not many teams will do this.

not now we are not, we are going to want this team to lose until hak is gone like it or not, dont blame us, blame your buddy hextall, he's the one that wants to wait for this team to hit rock bottom and then make changes. we are out of patience, deal with it.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland

Also not many teams get 3 out of 4 points when outplayed badly. It's long season, how you win matters. Come playoff time it doesn't.

Reactions: tucson83 and Tripod

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The results of this road trip shouldn't move the needle on the club. Two wins were against sad clubs, one of which fired their coach and the other one that should do the same. Since when is beating the Coyotes a big deal? They're not a good team either. The results in SJ were that they blew a game that they should have won.
There's not a lot of foundation to build off of that trip except that it looks as if Giroux has found his game and Patrick is doing the same. Now with the two invalids in net out of the lineup, maybe Pickard and Lyon can provide some acceptable play in goal. It all hinges on the kids in goal. If they can make some plays and get support from this defense, the Flyers have a shot at having a decent year. If not, the season is toast.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I’m not messing with a team that just took 7 of 8 points. If they revert to a .500 team, then sure.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
They still didn't look that great though imo. Very coach like Q would be great to kick start the group.
I’m willing to see how the next four games go. They should be able to win three out of the next four.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad